Sign in to follow this  
Ron Musgraves

Round table experiences,

Question

24 answers to this question

Jon Fleischer and myself had one a few years back. It took alot of calls and emails to find anyone who wanted to go. Most were newbies looking for info, while a few were more established.

Jon and I brought our rigs, answered many questions on recovery and had some fun.

We only had the one, and I would not say it helped business, or to make new friends. No referrals either.

It was a nice event, but the effort put into it is just not worth it for me. No locals from my area would call back, so no networking there either.

We had about 15 people and as far as I know, only myself and three others are still in business.

Not even the PWNA members in So cal were very interested. 2 brothers that own a hood cleaning place were there. We tried to pitch the PWNA to the others but that did not interest most.

Ron

Great idea for a thread. I attended Steve Rowlett's RT this past Feb down in Tenn. Though the weather was bad and we couldn't do any outside demos, I still learned a ton of stuff just talking with Steve and the other attendees. Plus I picked up some supplies while I was there. I also meet Don M there and found out he is in the Midwest and that we started our biz's about the same time. We have chatted on the phone once a week ever since then, and a lot of good things have come from that. I'm going to try to attend Steve's RT on Oct 14th if things work out.

If you get a chance to go to a RT don't pass on it, it's a great learning experience and the information you get and the friends you'll make can be priceless.

We've attended several and hosted one. Firm believer here that when you can meet and network with others in your industry it will always help you in one way or another.

We've met folks that we'd not meet otherwise - we've learned things because of demonstrations - we've been introduced into areas that may not have been on our list of ideas for business expansion - definitely gotten job leads and found other contractors that we'd happily refer work to and have referred work to us.

It's amazing who you get to meet just trying to set one up as well!

Celeste

I've attended several of Rowlett's and I also attended the one Roger and Celeste had last year in NC. I've taken a lot away from every single one. I enjoyed meeting many of the owners that are on these boards and I've made a lot of friends as well. There's nothing quite as good as making a contact as you never know when you'll need someone else's point of view or perspective on a job. At least for me anyways. Even though sometimes I have to travel a couple of hours to make one, I'm more than happy to. So far I've been to Murfreesboro,TN (Rowlett's) twice, Albany, GA (Scott & Angela's) once, Graham, NC (Roger & Celeste) once, Lawrenceville, GA (PWNA GA) once, and Fayetteville, GA (Rowlette hosted one at my home) once. I can't wait to attend another.

Not even the PWNA members in So cal were very interested. 2 brothers that own a hood cleaning place were there. We tried to pitch the PWNA to the others but that did not interest most

I know for the most part your conversation is just light talk about your experience. My opinion Is that round tables should never be about and organization but about the local contractors and what they want.

I think maybe that why four or five years later the rounds have not really grown to what I envisioned they might have become.

I’m hoping you can come in February at least to phoenix and join us. I will start having round tables again on regular basis. I would like if you could have one in cali. I know you have had one in the past as you have duly noted.

I really am glad you have received some reward from rounds.

By the way have you talked with Jon? How is he?

Beth, why dont you join us on set days, the events would be larger and more meaningful.

We could make it a TGS and *** nationwide round table meetings.

Besides where are people going to hear about them? the pwna bbs is closed to all non-members. so its here or ***.

I'm talking about collectively set a day in stone, sure some people will need to modify. But keeping a set date helps motivate others. *** and TGS should support a united front on this issue.

For contractors by contractors.

Are you interested in supporting this together or would you rather keep doing it the new way instead of the way i started them way back when.

Trying to meet all on the same days or as close as possible.

This is just and example.

Celeste

Nov 18, 2006

Hooter restaurant

Located ????????? NC

Time????????????

Topic subjects???????????????

Ron **********

Nov 18, 2006

Hooter restaurant

Located ????????? AZ

Time????????????

Everette Abrams

Nov 17, 2006

Hooter restaurant

Located ?????????

Time????????????

Russel Cissel

Nov 15, 2006

Hooter restaurant

Located ?????????

Time????????????

Celeste,

Why if you hold it at the same place as last time, if Ron attends he might just be lucky enough to get to hear them slaughter the hogs next door. Gives you a real respect for fine southern BBQ! Yeeehaw!

Ron, we aren't on a schedule. We'll hold it when we're ready... ;)

Beth

Okay - one solid rule - I don't host round tables at Hooters. I prefer to use a facility with lunch catered in :) Less distraction.

I agree, I wil put you down for carolina, I will e-mail for the national round table day. i have 15 citys and 6 distributors commited. Your number 16....

This will be the largest one to date. instead of feb we may go in january.

I will post the results here and *** and PWNA BBS tbs

Thanks for taking care of the Carolinas.

Why if you hold it at the same place as last time, if Ron attends he might just be lucky enough to get to hear them slaughter the hogs next door. Gives you a real respect for fine southern BBQ! Yeeehaw!

I preffer southwest BBQ!!!! much more flavor.

Countless number of friends, made money have EX-changed parts when needed and have gotten many lunches paid for.

Patched things up with and old enemy and resolved a large account dispute.

Network jobs to others; have not really seen any work from anyone else.

Celeste,

... he might just be lucky enough to get to hear them slaughter the hogs next door. .....

Beth

If you'd like I can send you some home videos.

(don't forget I was born in a then communist Eastern European country).

;)

Time has gone by, I heard Celeste had over a 100 at the last one?

Biggest one I've been to date as far as how many people showed up. Very Organized roundtable. The Roundtables that I've been going to over the years seem to be getting bigger and better all the time. Check that even the ones that have not been so big with attendance they also have been getting better with the amount of info being shared and connections being made.