Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

stupid things

Question

I did a stupid thing today. I backed up to the trailer, lowered it on to the ball, went to do some other things and then drove off. Im driving down the road and put on brakes for a light and heard an awful noise behind me. I look and my trailer is veering off to the right and pushing my truck. I had completely forgotten to latch it, hook up the chains and safety brake cable. How stupid!!!

Last time I renewed my insurance, my agent added liability to my trailer in case something like this happened. I was lucky that i was in the right turn lane and the trailer headed for the curb, so if it missed me, it would have hit the curb. but it could have been much worse. I got away with a lightly dented bumper.

I know we are relucttant to tell about our own stupidity, but list some of the things that you have done that you consider just plain stupid.

Plus, you can get them off your chest with out telling your wife!

52 answers to this question

ok....fess up, you must be a smoker mr. stone..lol

No, have never touched the stuff.

Full story is it is usually when I am working and have to go get something to complete the job. I unhook from my trailer and drive to get wahtever it is that I need, and leave the crew on the job site.

When I get back, I automaitcally back up to the trailer. I then take care of anything that needs to be done and start washing. When we are done, I hop in the truck, along with the crew, and head down the road... and then I will look back and see no trailer.

My current number one guy has seen me do it a couple of times, so now the first thing that he does is to hook up[ the trailer as soon as I get back.

A good helper make smy life so much easier.

There's some good stories here..lol

I have a couple of blunders also

#1: Back my flatbed fifth wheel along my shop., I crank it up to lift it, take out the electrical, and pull the latch in my pickup bed. Get in the truck to pull up and wham. Forgot to put down the tailgate...oops. Had a nice banana tailgate, also brought in the sides of the bed. Replaced the tailgate and just forced the sides back in place.

#2: We were doing some sandblasting and using a 185CFM trailer compressor. We got done so my employee proceeds to back the pickup and hook up the compressor, gets that done and forgets the latch. Had the chains though. He hits a bump at 40 mph and it pops off, the pole props in the air and he slams the brakes, it nearly went all the way thru the tailgate. Went thru the first sheet metal and you could see half of hitch thru the sheet metal on the back side. Has a quarter inch metal tailgate (reinforced) on that truck now. Tailgate alone must weigh almost 130 to 150 lbs, but she won't bend...lol

Dan