Sign in to follow this  
jquick77

Need a little help here

Question

OK maybe a lot of help!! I have a customer who has a 15 year old cedar deck. He has been putting semi transparent over it for the last 8 years. From what he told me, he has 2 coats of cwf on it and did a coat of olympic maximum last year. (the can says semi trans and has the 5 to 7 yr symbol on it) It almost appears that there is a solid on some of it, I guess due to improper prep work (no prep work) in between coats. He pulled out a pressure washer in between one of the coats, but did that to only about half of the deck. I don't know what the previous owner had put on it, but he said that when he moved in 8 yrs ago that it was treated with something, and this guy just asumed that putting a coat of something on it every 2 years was the way to go. Anyway the deck is several different shades of color and looks in pretty rough shape. I told him trying to strip and sand it would be the best bet. He didn't want to do any stripping, I guess due to the landscape, (stone steps, and patio under deck) and the pool right below the deck freshly painted stucco house. He also has the gutter roof system under the deck. He just wants to "paint it". I didn't lie and told him that I would have to look into a solid stain for him, and didn't know if that would work with the multiple coats he has on it now. I would love to just run from this one ,but this is a friend of a family member who gets me a lot of work. Would a solid stay on the wood, or will it just peel off due to the layers of stain already on the deck? I would think that some stripping would be necessary even with a solid. I have read a little bit on cabot's problem solver primer, but from my understanding that needs to penetrate the wood, which it won't be able to do on this deck, because there is still several other sealers present. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Good morning, Jeff. I'll start by saying I can't help much on your process since we don't do solids of any kind nor do we paint. I can tell you, though, I'd make this someone else's problem real quick. Since you want to run from this quick, make it your part of this project to interview a few of the preferred painters in your area...ones you want a relationship with...ones that can throw their wood care your way. Make that connection, bring them to the project, you 'oversee' the work, and perhaps find some add-ons to be done that are more in line with the type of work you want. If you're not the expert, find the expert in your area and you'll win/win.

If you do decide to do the work, try not to let him/them drive your recommendations. With all the stucco/pool/underdecking/etc you've described, stripping doesn't seem to make sense.

/neil

Not a bad idea Neil. I may look into that. My other problem is that this guy has a house in Florida with lots of deck work. I am going down there soon with my Bro-n-law who has some other work to do at the house, so I really don't want to loose that job. Kind of a working vacation. It is a strip job, but no landscaping or pools to worry about. He has a coating on that, but it is 4 yrs old, and from what I can tell from the pics, it should be an easy strip. He knows anything that I put on the decks, is only going to last about 2 years. Not real picky about color or looks, just wants them protected.

If the finish isnt peeling, the solid will probably stick,iwould give it a good washing and if the old stain doesnt come off put the solid over it worse case a few spots may peel down the road which can be touched up i wouldnt guarantee it and tell him its either this way or strip it completely.cabot water base is good, or flood/ duron solid needs no primer.

Sounds like an end to a " Freindship" if you half a** do this deck! The customer is exactly that, "The Customer". You must "Educate" the customer and not settle for the half cocked way of doing this job.

I gurantee, that if you do this deck any other way BUT the way you know how its supposed to be done, the customer will tell all those who see the after results,that the Contractor screwed his deck up. NOT THAT HE WAS LOOKING FOR THE EASIEST WAY TO STAIN THE DECK AND AT THE LOWEST COST. Please do not compromise your NAME.

If it is not peeling wash it with EFC-38 (it has the right ingredients for paint prep). Use an alkyd primer. Be prepared to topcoat with two coats of latex solid for full coverage. You aren't doing this guy any favors and risk ruining your reputation with him if you fudge up the job. He will respect you more if you pass it on like Neil suggested.

for the life of me I still don't understand why paople PAINT their decks.

Hd80 works well with "unknown" finishes. This thing needs to be done right from the start. I agree that you should not compromise your regular process with a 50/50 hope that the customer will be happy in the end.

Do it the professional way or pass is my suggestion.

I don't think it's unprofessional to put a solid stain on if the substrate is in good shape. If it's not peeling or cracking, I'm with Ken on this one. Go with a water-bourne stain for sure (latex), which should give you some adhesion as well as flexibility, since you cant be sure what exactly is underneath.

Thanks for all of the info. I will give him a high price and tell him there are no gurantees. Hopefully, I can do the one in Florida first so he can see the results of a job done right. If he does want the solid put on the other one, I will take your advice and go for the primer and latex. Like I said, the guy does realize that it is not going to last forever, and also that this is not the best route to go. I do fear losing some reputation points on this one, and understand what some of you are saying about that, but I don't feel like this guy is going to screw me in the end. I have explained to him that I would have to do some research on solids, so that we could try and find the best possible product to put on the deck. He seems to like my honesty and hopefully all will work out in the end. I will get some pics to post up soon. Forgot the camera on the first trip out. Again, thanks for all of you info.