Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Beth stripping....a deck.

Question

No kidding! It's about time I put up a photo of me doing some power washing. Usually Rod's or the guys are in the photos. Today, Rod snuck back to the truck and took pictures of me for a change. So in case you were wondering if I know how to do this, you bet I do. :groovy2:

This deck was filthy...it was on the north side of a home with very mature tree growth. The owner had applied a solid stain (creamy color) then let it get dirty, then sealed over it with Wolman F&P Natural. (of course much of this came back to them as we discovered the layers they had forgotten about....AHEM!)

We began with EFC-38, which took off the Wolman F&P nicely, and left the beautiful, unevenly applied, with stop and start marks showing thru...homeowner applied beige stuff.Some boards had very little product, some looked to have three coats.

We broke out the HD-80 and mixed it up at only 2 oz. per gallon. It melted it (mystery product) off, although we believe the EFC-38 begun that process. We brightened with Citralic.

Looked great when we left. The photos are during the strip, before neutralizing.

Beth :groovy:

post-1-137772138424_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

All right Beth...you go!

A couple things....... If you have about a 30 degree bend at the end of the wand pipe, just before the nozzle, you will find the wand much easier to work with. It looks like you have an extension on the wand you are using. On the short extension, place the 30 degree bend.

You will find that you can relax your shoulders, and not put so much strain on your wrist. It's easier to walk and keep the water spray directly down on the deck.

I prefer a dual lance over a straight lance. I really like the Alkota with 40" pipes. It's nice to be able to adjust the pressure on the fly, as conditions change. It's also nice to throttle back the pressure while rinsing, to reduce the debris that can splatter all over.

Also, I now just use HD80, and don't bother with the other percarb cleaners on all decks that have a previous finish. To me, it takes too much time to have to reappy another mix and wash the deck again.

On decks that are new and not heavily greyed, I use a percarb cleaner. On decks that have no previous finish, and are heavily greyed, I use a mild mix of the HD80.

Where can I get the HD80 at? Do you feel that the Wolman and Flood products aren't that good? Which products are better for completeing a deck? Thanks Hugh

Rod and Beth, I am just working part time now helping another to get experience. As my name states I am a Deputy sheriff and want to get into pressure washing on my own in the near future. Sort of a retirement job. Every place I look, everyone uses different chemicals which is somewhat confusing. Could you explain to me exactly what you use and your procecure for starting and completeing a deck? If you do not want to post it here send it to my email " copgib@earthlink.net " also anyother information would be appreciated as far as what equipment you would recommend. Thanks Hugh

Rod and Beth, I am just working part time now helping another to get experience. As my name states I am a Deputy sheriff and want to get into pressure washing on my own in the near future. Sort of a retirement job. Every place I look, everyone uses different chemicals which is somewhat confusing. Could you explain to me exactly what you use and your procecure for starting and completeing a deck? If you do not want to post it here send it to my email " copgib@earthlink.net " also anyother information would be appreciated as far as what equipment you would recommend. The guy I work with in my spare time gets all his chemicals from evirospec. Thanks for your help. Hugh