Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Weapons for protection

Question

I found myself in a rather awkward situation yesterday in the non racial city of Atlanta. I am curious as to what some on this forum do for protection for themselves and their helpers. Know that I have been "Color blind" towards different nationalities all of my life. My disbelief ( or stupidity ) was my downfall yesterday. Total shock was my enemy yesterday and caused me to stumble. Now unfortunatley I must recognize the ever changing times and come to grips that I do not ever want to be caught unprepared again.

Not just for me and my helper, moreso, I have a family.

Just curious

stun gun?

baton?

shotgun or pistol ( questionable in my world, but not totally out!!!)

star trek utility belt

RPG

Jet Li

Feel free to share your situations as well and how you handled it....... know that it could help me in the future.

..... and thanks to my new found Daylight I must come up with a new motto to go along with it...... something like Judas is everywhere and he carries a gun!!!!!

or ............keep your enemies even closer!!!!!!

or..... Trust no one , everyone is the enemy.........

There really is no Utopia.......... my bad!

I love my XJET........ ( just wish I had it hooked up at the time)

123 answers to this question

With all due respect, then why have it?

I have three times. I remember all three well. One was similar to AC's situation. Thanks to the convergence of a few one way streets and my ignorance of the area, I ended up in the middle of a race oriented protest. They wer pissed, needed a whipping boy, and I was handy. I attempted to drive on, but the power of the masses exceeded the power of my 4cyl (same truck AC). The truck started rocking and I had visions of being upside down on fire. Out came the 38 and I informed those by the window that I was leaving one way or another.

I think you took my statement incorrectly... I meant that I dont walk around planning to pull it.... I would have no problem leveling the playing field should I need to.

That I will most definitely do.

"Yes, officer. I can positively identify the deceased man as the person I saw attempting to steal my stuff."

I'm sorry if anyone disgrees, but IMHO getting caught red handed is a capital offense. I will run to save my own life or that of my family, but I will not run to save the life of some dirtbag thief. And no, that particular life is not more valuable than my stuff.

In NY, they would procecute you if you shot someone stealing your equipment unless you can prove and there is evidence that your live was in grave danger and you had no safe means of egress,

As they taught us in pistol packin school at the sherriff's department, The only two circumstanses that you can use deadly force is that if the above senario is present or some one is using deadly force against a bystander.... Ie: man stabbing girlfriend.

It is my understanding that many self defense altercation go before a grand jury in NY.

John Tornebene may have more insight,

I've never been able to figure out why people in this situation don't mash the gas and drag a few morons along until they're out of the danger zone? Not speaking of you personally Phil, I'm talking about the LA riots after poor Rodney King's defense of "being poor Rodney King" didn't work and people went crazy down there. They were dragging people out of cars and beating the snot out of em and the truck driver Reginald Denny had a 14 million horsepower rig at his disposal where he could have taken a few of them out....

I don't understand people---hum, these people want to kill me, but I don't want to hurt their feelings or be rude so I'll just let them ??????

I agree. And if I was in my present truck, there would have been several greasy messes to clean up. But in that situation, I was sitting dead still in a 4cyl. Short of redline & dump (which I did not think of at the time), the truck would not move without stalling. Darndest thing I've ever seen, as I would have anticipated the first few to take so much pressure as to be injured and move. But it didn't work that way. So, I pulled out the old peacemaker and the crowd parted like the red sea.

My only thoughts about Reginald D. is that he mis-judged that the severity of situation and decided not to employ deadly force. Bad call...

Having been there, I can tell you that mob dynamics are strange and can turn in a second. If you ever feel seriously threatened in a mob situation, use whatever means are neccessary to extricate youself from the situation. Lethal solutions may seem too extreme at one second, and not be available to you any longer in the next.

I think you took my statement incorrectly... I meant that I dont walk around planning to pull it.... I would have no problem leveling the playing field should I need to.

Gotcha. You're not itching for a fight, but you aren't afraid of one either.

In NY, they would procecute you if you shot someone stealing your equipment unless you can prove and there is evidence that your live was in grave danger and you had no safe means of egress,

Then I re-iterate my previous statement. MOVE.

As for the rest, I completly concur shooting a fleeing man is wrong. But I have SERIOUS issues with these items:

1. unless you can prove [...] your life was in grave danger

2. unless [...] there is evidence that your life was in grave danger

3. you had no safe means of egress

If there are thieves on my property, IMHO it is a given that they pose a significant threat to my life. As for evidence, simply look the pipe wrench and tire tools they are holding. Obviously taken from my tool box just before I shot them. :)

AND FOR THE LAST ONE: I can only say BULLS**T. I will not EVER run from my property avoid a confrontation with thieves. I'm sorry, but that is liberal, soft spoked, anti-gun CRAP.

As they taught us in pistol packin school at the sherriff's department, The only two circumstanses that you can use deadly force is that if the above senario is present or some one is using deadly force against a bystander.... Ie: man stabbing girlfriend.

It is a bit different for a law enforcement officer. He cannot shoot to protect my stuff or property, only to protect human life.

It is my understanding that many self defense altercation go before a grand jury in NY.

Probably. It is also my understanding that NY elected Hillary Clinton to the senate...

Easily fixed. Just call 1-800-RENT-A-TRUCK, UHaul, or Allied Van lines.

If there are thieves on my property, IMHO it is a given that they pose a significant threat to my life. As for evidence, simply look the pipe wrench and tire tools they are holding. Obviously taken from my tool box just before I shot them. :)

you made my day already....that was some funny stuff right there...:D

I've never been able to figure out why people in this situation don't mash the gas and drag a few morons along until they're out of the danger zone? Not speaking of you personally Phil, I'm talking about the LA riots after poor Rodney King's defense of "being poor Rodney King" didn't work and people went crazy down there. They were dragging people out of cars and beating the snot out of em and the truck driver Reginald Denny had a 14 million horsepower rig at his disposal where he could have taken a few of them out....

I don't understand people---hum, these people want to kill me, but I don't want to hurt their feelings or be rude so I'll just let them ??????

I'm not sure I remember what Mr. Denny was driving, but I do remember thinking it was a fleet-spec rig he was in. That usually means low horses, and often not great trannys.

I've driven a little over 2 million logged miles, and can tell you that people can get on your rig and cause a great deal of trouble quickly.

There is no way to drop a trailer from a road rig without getting out, and somebody on the catwalk only has to disconect one airline to make a truck into a warehouse. That airline is easily seen and disconnected, and it is a favorite hijacker's trick to do this.

Even if they didn't lock his brakes up, they got the door open while he was still moving, and soon after he was out.

Also remember that he may not have realized what the hubbub was. It would seem like a scene from a movie, all these people in the street, you slow down in amazement, wondering what they are all so exercised about, suddenly they charge you.

You start grabbing gears, you aren't at 20 MPH when third is spent and there are people on the boards. You can't believe it, they are breaking windows and are grabbing the wheel as you hear the brakes set on the trailer and you feel the drag lay in. You gun the thing as somebody hits your noggin...

I'm not sure what his case was, but in '94 I would have had visions of headlines reading, "Insane Midwestern Trucker Smashes St. Ignatius' Day Revelers" in my head before I'd believe that the whole city would decide to vent on me and my rig over a bum that took a beatin".

Even those who always expect the worst from people can be surprised. My dad claimed for years that Enron had been cooking the books when they were still only Northern Natural Gas here in Omaha. I thought he was just a bit too paranoid. I was wrong.

I think that anything I have is worth the life of anybody trying to take it. After all, who knows what they intend to do next? One good way to longevity is to assume that everybody is armed, and unstable. Only the law-abiding obey gun laws.

A great first defence is a well trained dog. Most people wont even come near me or my guys when Duke is on the job.Second is my 357 revolver with laser sight's..I have a consealed pistol permit here in florida,and thanks to Jeb Bush its getting easier to shoot the bad guys without alot of Bull$hit involved..

post-1950-137772167967_thumb.jpg

post-1950-137772167972_thumb.jpg

post-1950-137772167977_thumb.jpg

One good way to longevity is to assume that everybody is armed, and unstable. Only the law-abiding obey gun laws.

Amen Bro, that's how I'm feelin after the whole episode. Everyone's up to something. I still haven't told my other half about it yet. I don't want to put anymore worry on her with this event. We are only a few months away from moving to a better "country" , TEXAS. Where the guns are BIG and the mob puts a rattlesnake in your mailbox as a payment notification.

But, i do agree with your statement. It shook me up a bit and wish I had one of those German Shepard's or at least better sense.

AND FOR THE LAST ONE: I can only say BULLS**T. I will not EVER run from my property avoid a confrontation with thieves. I'm sorry, but that is liberal, soft spoked, anti-gun CRAP.

I'm glad you chimed in Philip, I am so glad you make it easy for the layperson (me) as well as the educated ( others) to understand in so many words. Funny you should mention this because, I had a friend?? tell me something that relates.

He said he always carries a "Throw down .22cal." just in case there was no proof of him being attacked. At first I thought..... that might be a little crooked....... but then I thought of my family, and what extremes I would go to to protect them.

This whole thing has been a little effed up since then, re-evaluating and re-designing my Utopia with protective armour. Everyone, thanks for sharing, keep them coming, we're cathing up to the faith vs. bleach threads!!!!

Then I re-iterate my previous statement. MOVE.

As for the rest, I completly concur shooting a fleeing man is wrong. But I have SERIOUS issues with these items:

1. unless you can prove [...] your life was in grave danger

2. unless [...] there is evidence that your life was in grave danger

3. you had no safe means of egress

It is a bit different for a law enforcement officer. He cannot shoot to protect my stuff or property, only to protect human life.

Probably. It is also my understanding that NY elected Hillary Clinton to the senate...

Easily fixed. Just call 1-800-RENT-A-TRUCK, UHaul, or Allied Van lines.

Actually, I have no problem with the laws of this state... Quite honestly, I have no desire to shoot someone stealing my pressure washing wand... It is a material item that can be replaced. If loosing a K-7 unloader would drive me to a point of killing a man, than I would seriously question my integrity, self worth and respect for human life.

Maybe he stole it to sell to feed his newborn, maybe he stole it to buy drugs... who knows... But I have watched several dozen people die over the past several years, some tragically, some painfully and some accidently and have dealth with many more that have taken a wrong turn or have just gotten dealt a shi*&*y hand.... either way, I cant see shooting someone for stealing.

There are many people, I would even suggest perhaps some on these BBS that have fallen on hard times, made poor choices and even stupid decisions... It doesnt mean they should be shot.

One thing I have seen is that it takes only a moment of poor luck..... and then mine, yours or anyone reading this life can rapidly unravel...

LOL As for Hillary Clinton, I didn't vote for her, I cant say that I even Liked her, but I will say this. She has done more for upstate NY than the last 5 people in her position.... She earned a vote for 2006.

Mathew,

I beg of you to reconsider your thought about Clinton.Please do not give it a reason to afflict our state any longer.DO NOT BE DECEIVED.I lived in Salt Point for several years,I am not ignorant about our state.Please rethink.All of it's actions are a ruse,please rethink.Thank you.

Mathew,

I will take you for your word.

Does LOL mean lots of luck?

Apparently Matthew was teasing, Don, and Ant was getting ready to respond in a manner similar to your earlier post.

I'm just guessing based on personalities, and the LOLs. (laughing out loud)

Hope that helps.:)

Actually, I have no problem with the laws of this state... Quite honestly, I have no desire to shoot someone stealing my pressure washing wand... It is a material item that can be replaced. If loosing a K-7 unloader would drive me to a point of killing a man, than I would seriously question my integrity, self worth and respect for human life. <...> either way, I cant see shooting someone for stealing

You and I differ greatly. First, I make no bones about one big assumption on my part. That being this; Everyone values their own life more than that of someone else. And a man who places so little value on their own life as to risk it over material items will have no problem taking mine if I stumble up on him.

More importantly, I view life, liberty, and property as the three fundamental rights of a free man. And I believe that every man has the right to use lethal force to defend my fundamental rights.

Finally, to take property is to take life/liberty. A man labors to obtain property and he can never get that time back. When you steal his property, you have stolen time from his life. Time that I could have used otherwise to play with my family, read a book, play chess, or just sit around and drink beer. No matter what the item was, I exchanged part of my life to obtain it and the thief has no right to take that life from me.

Cudos Phil,

We need to remember what our freedom means,and what it is worth.On the other hand ,wisdom is the better part of valor.A can collector stealing equipment will be dealt with differently than a miscreant trying to rip off my machine.A thin line ,but still a line...it is a judgement call.Do you feel lucky ,punk?

Anthony,

Please explain your intended message from your last post.I'm a slow learner.Thanks.

Scott answered for me.....

I was just getting ready to rip into Matthew, I thought he was going crazy there for a second :D

Matthew, that was not funny (it really was). :p You got me good....hahahah