Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Weapons for protection

Question

I found myself in a rather awkward situation yesterday in the non racial city of Atlanta. I am curious as to what some on this forum do for protection for themselves and their helpers. Know that I have been "Color blind" towards different nationalities all of my life. My disbelief ( or stupidity ) was my downfall yesterday. Total shock was my enemy yesterday and caused me to stumble. Now unfortunatley I must recognize the ever changing times and come to grips that I do not ever want to be caught unprepared again.

Not just for me and my helper, moreso, I have a family.

Just curious

stun gun?

baton?

shotgun or pistol ( questionable in my world, but not totally out!!!)

star trek utility belt

RPG

Jet Li

Feel free to share your situations as well and how you handled it....... know that it could help me in the future.

..... and thanks to my new found Daylight I must come up with a new motto to go along with it...... something like Judas is everywhere and he carries a gun!!!!!

or ............keep your enemies even closer!!!!!!

or..... Trust no one , everyone is the enemy.........

There really is no Utopia.......... my bad!

I love my XJET........ ( just wish I had it hooked up at the time)

123 answers to this question

I always thought that Judo would bail me out of a situation like this, but I was wrong. I froze!!!I'm good with not having a pistol for now, with all the new additional backup, one of them is bound to "smart " them a bit.

But I do like the .380 and will take the proper measures when I feel a little more comfy and responsible with the decision. ( Just being honest).

Nobody messes with me and my Crossman air rifle.

If I can get it up to 10 pumps before I am shot...Watch out! I am a dead eye with this thing.

Rod!~

Yep!!! and I love my xjet, and it's a good thing ( now that I'm not shaking in my Laredo's) that I was not connected to PW or he would be a little less for wear!

I like a 38 and almost got one. But then I held a 357 and wow fit like a glove. I had held a 9mm before and it felt as good as the 9mm. When I went to look for a pistol I ran across this 9mm that I own now and got it at a great deal so that was what I left with. I am very happy with my choice.

Hi guys, long time reader first time poster. I work full time at a prison in Missouri. Inside I rely hardcore on my pepper spray and verbal judo, however outside I rely on my Ruger P90 .45 with hydroshock hollow points. My thoughts behind this is that inside I know that the guy coming at me doesn't have a gun, and that inside help is just seconds away. When I am out and about working in the middle of the night I will typically wear my 45 on a tactical leg holster so that it is in plain sight. I do have my CCW but having that big of a pistol in that kinda holster seems to make people less likely to have much to say. Anyone that is going to carry a gun of any kind needs to make sure that they are very comfortable, and that they are ready to use it if need be.

True story from local gun shop owner: His brother drives a tow truck in St. Louis. Anyone that knows St. Louis very well knows that north city isn't a very nice place to be at day or night. Well he had to go to pick up a car after dark in north city. While he was hooking up the car 2 guys with bars came out of an alley. All he did was hold one arm up in like a "I mean no harm" type gesture and used the other hand to raise up the side of his coat to show his shoulder holster with his pistol in it. He told the guys that he didn't want any trouble and just needed to get this car. Both of the guys just backed off back up into the alley without saying a word.

Curtis Turner

Mineral Area Pro-Wash

Bonne Terre, MO

Ditto on the glock. Always works. It's the great equalizer of the 21st century. Don't mess around if you carry pepper spay or an ASP you are too close and the bottom line is even blind or hurt with a hit from the ASP he can and probably will hurt you. He will just be pissed off. If they are desperate enough to rob you they are probably under the influence of something that takes away pain. Pepper sprays and batons work because they hurt (pain), not because the incapacitate or stop a person. get a gun, learn how to use it and know the law and carry it responsibly. if you are not sure about that then do not carry it.

Nobody messes with me and my Crossman air rifle.

If I can get it up to 10 pumps before I am shot...Watch out! I am a dead eye with this thing.

Rod!~

LOL... do me a favor if we ever duel and count your pumps out loud... Isnt that like bringing a knife to a gunfight?

I'm by no means saying "kill them all and let God sort them out".They can have the rig and truck,but when it comes down to mine or my wifes safety I am prepared to shoot if I take the gun from the holster.

2 times in the last 10 yrs I have pointed the barrel of handgun a at a would be assailant with every intention of killing them.Both times the tables turned and both parties ran faster than most olympic sprinters.

Oh and I don't want to hear;"Would you really have killed someone?"The answer is yes.There is no such thing as shoot to wound them,even law enforcement are taught to shoot for the vital organs(chest & stomach).

When my girlfriend and I took our CCW class, the instructor, a Deputy Sheriff told us to think very seriously about killing someone. He said if you were 100% sure you could kill someone, you could carry. If there was any doubt, do not carry and do not ever pull a gun on someone if there was any doubt. We both gave very serious thought to the consequences of using a gun. Your vehicle and tools are replacable, your life and the life of others is not replacable.

On the job, I still favor the can of SH aimed at the eyes and face. Keep spraying until he is down, then beat the snot out of the *******. Keep some chemical in reserve should he have friends around.

I can pepper spray him,then throw few 290 lbs elbow drops on him before polishing my steel toes boots on his head and rib cage.

I'm fully aware of what a gun can do and am prepared to deal with the emotional aftermath.No guilt for taking another life it comes down to me,my wife the kids or them.I can make my peace with my maker when I die.

If you want to carry but don't want the bulk of a heavy weapon, there is a .22 (I believe Taurus makes it) that, when used with a specific type of round made in Mexico, will make a hole larger than any large round handgun. I didn't believe this, of course, so I had to try it. The gun store owner let me plug away with my Glock 21C (.45 caliber) and my Beretta .380. Then I used the .22 and couldn't believe the size of the hole. It may not have the mass of a large round but the velocity was incredible and "damage" was something you really had to see to believe. When we used to go to the theaters every weekend I routinely took my .22 during spring and summers because I couldn't conceal my .45 with shorts and a Tshirt.

Not always with me, just when I go to the bad neighborhoods. Remington 870 18" in my Mag Light holder and a 9 mm S&W placed very well.

At 6'2" and 280, plus my classic "does not play well with others" look, I do not get much trouble.

I do not believe in the professional image at night, I go for the ex-con look myself, and apparently it works real good for me.

Situation awareness, how you caring yourself and the natural self presevation instinct are the most important tools in a situation like that.

I started Tae kwon do at 13 then went on to Muay thai, brazilian Jiu Jitsu and some judo as I was in my 20s. I cought the UFC bug early on LOL. So I'm very comfortable with confrontational situations. But the most important thing is to stay alive!

If you have to use violence don't hesitate. Street fighting isn't cool or noble but it can be necessary at times. Sometimes you can get pushed into doing things that aren't pretty.

My father was a Narcotics detective in Newark NJ, South district, one of the most dangerous places in our country, and you wouldn't believe what some people will kill you for. If you have a gun pulled on you it isn't worth getting shot over material things.

As far as carying a gun that's a choice everyone has to make for themselves. I remember the first time my dad had to shoot a guy and it changed him. You get a coldness about you. That thousand yard stare. But if it's you or some flea that can potanionally stop you from seeing your family again it's an easy choice.

Remember, everyone gets that shaky feeling before a fight or confrontation. I'm sure you know what I mean. Weak in the knees, dry mouth, loss of strenght. I've trained with some of the best fighters in the country and no one is exempt from that. It's what you do about that state that makes you survive.

Bottom line is you have to choose quickly what needs to be done. And once you choose don't hesitate or stop!

Don't get me wrong. If you met me you would find a very laid back, kind person who would be the first to stop and help a someone who needed it. But we do live in a world where criminals and wannabe tough guys don't have the same consciense and compassion that most of us do.

Daniel

Hmm, I work in some rough parts of town. I usually can talk them down. Typically I strike my BA pose and start yapping. I'm pretty good at ripping people apart, but prefer to leave them laughing so hard that they think that they are my friends. I have a lot of friends around town. Never seen anythign so funny as two homeless guys fighting because one thinks that I am his best buddy and the other was trying to shake me down.

If worse comes to worse, I can and will break their neck. I have had a gun pointed at me too many times to be worried about that outcome.

Just remember that all of it can be replaced and just be a good witness for the police .

That I will most definitely do.

"Yes, officer. I can positively identify the deceased man as the person I saw attempting to steal my stuff."

I'm sorry if anyone disgrees, but IMHO getting caught red handed is a capital offense. I will run to save my own life or that of my family, but I will not run to save the life of some dirtbag thief. And no, that particular life is not more valuable than my stuff.

Heck, if you can't hear the clack of each pump as it's made, your out of my range!

If anyone every does hear the click-clack of my pump, they're just about to have a VERY bad day. The range isn't so great, but the spread is very nice!

I have never pulled my pistol... and I never plan too.

With all due respect, then why have it?

I have three times. I remember all three well. One was similar to AC's situation. Thanks to the convergence of a few one way streets and my ignorance of the area, I ended up in the middle of a race oriented protest. They wer pissed, needed a whipping boy, and I was handy. I attempted to drive on, but the power of the masses exceeded the power of my 4cyl (same truck AC). The truck started rocking and I had visions of being upside down on fire. Out came the 38 and I informed those by the window that I was leaving one way or another.

In Oregon, your driver's lisence is cross-referenced to your carry permit. When you get pulled over, the cop knows if you have permit and are to hand the cop your driver's lisence and permit together. Soem cops get real nervous if you have a permit, I would be more concerned about someone who does not have a permit. In Oregon, you have to attend a class, get fingerprinted and have a LEDs run before getting a permit. Teh permit costs $50.00.

Here's my opinion. MOVE. Any state that fears an armed populous is a state to be feared.

With all due respect, then why have it?

I have three times. I remember all three well. One was similar to AC's situation. Thanks to the convergence of a few one way streets and my ignorance of the area, I ended up in the middle of a race oriented protest. They wer pissed, needed a whipping boy, and I was handy. I attempted to drive on, but the power of the masses exceeded the power of my 4cyl (same truck AC). The truck started rocking and I had visions of being upside down on fire. Out came the 38 and I informed those by the window that I was leaving one way or another.

I've never been able to figure out why people in this situation don't mash the gas and drag a few morons along until they're out of the danger zone? Not speaking of you personally Phil, I'm talking about the LA riots after poor Rodney King's defense of "being poor Rodney King" didn't work and people went crazy down there. They were dragging people out of cars and beating the snot out of em and the truck driver Reginald Denny had a 14 million horsepower rig at his disposal where he could have taken a few of them out....

I don't understand people---hum, these people want to kill me, but I don't want to hurt their feelings or be rude so I'll just let them ??????