Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Altitude adjustments

Question

Hey guys,

Haven't seen much posted about pw at high altitude and adjustments that would have to be made. Of all the boards I've checked on, I haven't really seen anyone from Colorado on them. I'm guessing the higher you are (I'm at 6000 ft.) the more open the airbands should be?? My machine (3000,4.5,13hp honda) was built and assembled in FL (below sea level) and shipped to me here in Colorado. Needless to say, it hasn't been running very well and would bog down when I would first squeeze the trigger. I bought it from USA (pwmall) and they are sending me a new burner head to change out. He is also sending me a new nozzle (current one is a 2.0) but doesn't think I'll need to change it out.

Any comments? Thanks!

8 answers to this question

I'm not much of a mechanic but I would think you need to adjust the air/fuel so it gets more air into it to run correctly, not just the burner but the motor also.

Just like your cars and trucks, they need different fuel ratio's at high altitude.

I would check with a local PW dealer in your area. I have in the past seen a few post from guys in your area but like you said not many.

Jon

put that new head on my burner and opened up the air bands and now it runs great. Left the 2.0 nozzle in (although they did send me a 2.5). running clear smoke now! Didn't have to adjust the honda at all, the whole system is running much smother and lighter if that makes sense.

Gavin,

How has you business been effected by the drought you had? My mom lives not far from you in Aurora, and they were on water restrictions for a long time. She also told me that businesses were effected especially the car washes. Did it hit you that much?

Welcome to the board.

Reed

Hey Reed,

Thanks for the welcome.

Actually, the drought did not affect me as I just started my business this summer. I have a friend who owns a water-feature business and they got hit real hard. Unless you have fish (which he did) you couldn't even run your pumps at all (due to evaporation). And he has a 50,000 gal feature! Thank god, most of the water restrictions in Colorado have been lifted due to a lot of rain this last spring. Car washes that recycle weren't affected too badly but only 20% of the car washes in Colo have a recycle system.

Gav,

I know your area is abundunt with the tree huggers as California is. I am really suprised all the car washes aren't recycling. You should do well in your area, esp if you get to the springs.

I know Castle Rock has nothing but Very, Very high end homes there perched in some of the most god awful places. We look forward to seeing some pictures. So get the digital camera ready, I esp want pics of your first snow in your area. Folks, that is one pretty place.

Reed

Last year Castle Rock got hit with 50 inches worth of the white stuff and still got over 300 sunny days over all. the Springs are only 35 minutes away.

From what I can tell, there are less then 30 pw companies in the entire state. With 5 million people, there should be plenty of work to go around.

Burner went completely out on me today while doing a driveway. Worked great for about an hour and then just quit lighting up.