Sign in to follow this  
Don M.

Almost walked away

Question

Went to give a bid yesterday...in a nutshell was 255 lin. feet, going to be a pita because of getting on the roof to hit some areas we cant from the ground, have to use the ladder to get on the deck because of no stairs, so forth and so on.

I told her my price, she said that was higher than she thought it would be. Then she wanted a copy of my liablity insurance, a list of references, so forth and so on. Then she tried to get me to come down in my price. Right then I should have shook her hand and told her to have a nice day.

17 answers to this question

so did she give you the job?

I think when they ask for those items, they are seriously considering using you, and some people will always try to bargain you down. If you just give them something nominal, even if its very small, they feel they won and will give the go ahead.

No, not yet.

Jon, I forgot to mention that after it was all said and done she pulled out a coupon that I am currently running. She got 25 bucks knocked off there.

It has been my experience that taking money off the price makes it seem like you were chargeing too much to begin with. Sure it's a good way to "seal a deal", but wouldn't it be better to say, ' That's the price, but how about I clean your walkway, (or lawn furniture, or something) in addition for free". Everyone loves that word. So, don't cheapen your service, add value to the job your giving them. You still make the money you were looking for, and the customer still feels they got something out of you. Be creative and have fun, just don't discount.

It has been my experience that taking money off the price makes it seem like you were chargeing too much to begin with. Sure it's a good way to "seal a deal", but wouldn't it be better to say, ' That's the price, but how about I clean your walkway, (or lawn furniture, or something) in addition for free". Everyone loves that word. So, don't cheapen your service, add value to the job your giving them. You still make the money you were looking for, and the customer still feels they got something out of you. Be creative and have fun, just don't discount.

Very Smart!

Don,

Yo shouldn't have to use a ladder on the deck. Just be sure that the HO is home. Do the outside of the deck, toss the gun up over or through the railing, run through the house, hit the inside of the rails and floor, and out the door!

Larry, she doesnt want me in her house.

I dont have to do anything to the deck, its the back of the house I need to wash and I have to scrub her gutters, plus get some black crap off the side of her chimney.

I think she is doing what every good customer should do. Of course, I was not there to hear her tone and that can make all the difference in the world. I agree 100% with Tracy's advice on pricing. Your price is what it is. I wonder if this lady walks up to a store owner and says "I know your sign says $3.00, I was just wondering if you'd take $2.50 (some people do.. I do on bigger ticket items)

As far as the job having difficulties, you priced accordingly and you should feel comfortable with that. I would say if she expressed all that interest she is obviously considering hiring you.

Ken, yes I did price accordingly. I'm not one of these contractors that inflate the price due to this or that. My first price is my best price...take it or leave it.

Just be sure that the HO is home.

You shouldn't be calling people names like that....ahhahaha...just kiddin :D

Tracy is right...add some value maybe, but don't undersell yourself.

You shouldn't be calling people names like that....ahhahaha...just kiddin :D

Tracy is right...add some value maybe, but don't undersell yourself.

I agree with Tracy, and next time I will do that. But it just pisses me off when that happens.

A good rule is to offer a discount, upon request, equivalent to any outstanding coupons you may have offered. This way you accomplish two things. 1) The customer perceives the situation as a positive because they got a deal. 2) If they present a coupon after you give your price (as this one did), you can make the claim that you have already applied that discount in newly quoted price. You aren't selling used cars here! Just be sure to tell them *why* you are applying the discount. Tell them you are running coupon specials for those that call with coupons and you can apply that discount for them.

Since I do not do alot of residential work anymore, I give them a price, and it is what it is. If they ask for a deal, I tell them that we are not running any specials at the momet, and always give extreme detail of what the service entails.

I have found that the exact description of service is a real good closer. As an example, if I am to wash the house, I do not just say "House Wash" and the price. I write it up as House Wash with a scope of service to include rinsing all debris that splashes up on other items, such as lawn furniture, playhouses, bbq's and such. No hot water hoses will be run across the lawn, no plants will be killed, and so on.

People like to see what is included in the price other than just the service itself.

Am I the only one who finds it aggravating that the customer, knowing she had a coupon in her pocket, tried to bring the price down before presenting the coupon.

Sounds too sneaky.

That's why most coupons state (or should state):

For coupon to be valid it needs to be presented upon start of the estimate process or when the customer calls they need to tell you they have one.

If you are offering coupons they should be dated for a certain period of time and it's also a good practice to ask the customer if they have any coupons before you present the final estimate.

If you struggle with coupon wording, look at coupons in magazines, you'll find good examples of exact wording.

I had an elderly couple recently that asked for senior discount.

I tell them I try to give everyone my lowest price.

The discussion ended there and the contract was signed.

My thinking has been the same as Tracy's for many years, due to my job in engineering. I did a lot of estimating (effort hours and equipment costs) and if I changed my estimate it was only because I may have made a mistake (high or low) or missed part of the scope or included too much into the scope. Once you adjust without a good explanation/reason people tend to think you have too much fat in your number and start to believe that someone else's lower bid may be more accurate than yours.

I always ask where they got my number. I know right then if theyll have a coupon or not. I dont bring down the price, but Im willing to give something extra. like cleaning the drive if its small, blowing out the gutters unless there packed full. Something that doesnt take much time and give the customer added value.

I always ask customers where did they hear about me first. She told me the paper. I advertise in the paper in her area once a week. Then at the end the pulls out the coupon from the magazine.