Sign in to follow this  
squirtgun

wire fire

Tonight we got on a job only to find the machine that ran fine 2 days ago will not start.I quickly made way to the closest parts store and had the battery checked,as well as,giving all wires a good visual.

The battery was perfect and we were able to start the machine by crossing the posts on the solenoid.So the next step was to purchase a new ignition switch.

In a hurry to install the switch and get back on the job I forgot to unhook the battery and burned a wire running from the switch to the solenoid.Lots of pretty white smoke and that wonderful cooked wire smell filled the air.

So now my question......Can I just cut out the 1 wire and replace?

Or..............Do I need to replace the entire harness from the switch to the solenoid?

I'm still not 100% positive it's the switch.I had to reschedule the work and may have to reschedule some fleet work this weekend if I don't get this fixed quick.

2 things I learned from this

1. Always,Always remember to unhook the battery before working on the machine.

2.Always,Always, and I do mean Always make sure the machine starts before leaving the house.

Vanguard? More than likely, the solenoid is the problem. If it's the red wire that burned, it can be cut out of the harness and replaced because it attaches to the switch independently from the others. The rest of the wires all hook up in the molded plug.

Yep, always, always disconnect the battery.

Check the harness anyway. The charge could have caused damage to the casing making it weak and brittle. Use a continuity tester to check the other wiring in case it bridged through an open circuit and fried other lengths as well.

Rod!~

Scott,

We have a Vanguard also, and after finding the battery wasn't the problem, I was going to switch the entire ignition out, but the guy at this parts store told me to try the solenoid first, and he said the solenoid was a lot cheaper than to replace the entire ignition. I took his advice and he was right, the solenoid was the problem. I guess just advice for the future at this point. Hope that helps.