Sign in to follow this  
Tegrey

New Kid on the Block!

Question

You folks are what it is all about. I read as much as possible, and try to follow the latest posts daily. As you all are, we are busy getting the nice weather work done before Old Man Winter shows up. My question is: How do we learn what we need, to be a Great Power washing company, continue to run our company, get more involved in our power washing business, still maintain our level of work. Six employees, 5-6 days a week, 8-10 hrs. a day. We really cannot afford to stop to learn and grow as we need to, to be better at power washing.. This Winter we will spend more time learning and being involved in what we need to. Any suggestions for growing our power washing business would be helpful. Thank You.

3 answers to this question

Hello Tegrey (your signature filled out would be very helpful so I know you name). I will address your comment about not having time to stop and learn. That, to me, seems contradictory to your ultimate goal. As you know being as successful as you already are, success requires time and dedication. Starting by reading everything you can on his website from business and marketing topics to the forums on your chosen PW'ing vocation. This will get you 85% of the way there. It then becomes an issue of speed and efficiency. Use the right equipment and the right detergents. Don't skimp on effective chemicals and don't take shortcuts.

Set up an effective marketing campaign using your existing database. Start a newsletter and let them know about your new service. Do every job carefully and properly. There is a short learning curve with most areas of PW'ing and restoration you'll get faster.

Don't give away your services, always get FMV. Don't use price as part of your marketing. Sell quality and asurance.

The rest is time.

I have always heard that people don't plan to fail but they do fail to Plan!

Plan your time, making it time you need to devote to increasing your education and knowledge. Delegate to others in order to free up time but definitely plan.

Attend conventions that are specific to your interests and network. Take classes, seminars, etc.

Forgive me if I read your post incorrectly, but it sounds as if you admittedly put the cart before the horse and are trying now to rectify this and get yourself prepared for what your business is demanding of you in order to keep up. Business' can take off so fast that it's like a runaway horse and until you get the reigns pulled back and can control its direction one could find them headed for a wall that wasn't there before.

Been there, done that!!!

Fortunately, we had the background in business, marketing, sales and management to help with the most part. The Human Resources side was our shortcoming and we are looking that tiger in the mouth as we read this thread. H.R. is not as easy as one may think because as an employee you see one side of it and not the other which can be an enigma until you find out the psychology of it's support structure.

I don't know exactly where you feel your weaknesses are but there is hope yet. Just plan. Run the business so it does not run you.

Rod!~