Sign in to follow this  
SQUEEKY

got chems now the mix?

ok located a chem supply company purchased sodium hypochlorite.

owner claims it is 15%? 55 gallon drum $100.00. also purchased 45lb. bag of TSP. @ 65 cents per lb.

tested 1 gallon 15% to 4 gallons water with 1 cup TSP. down streamed and let dwell for fifteen minutes. did not work?

after other experiments including the use of DAWN dish detergent we found that just mixing a lil DAWN with straight 15% knocked out all the green mold. but the black artillery mold would not be beat so easily even with scrubbing?

what did we do wrong?

Chem Central here in Greensboro, NC claims that there Sodium Hypochlorite is also 15%. I believe that it is actually 12%. If you look at the fine print on Brenntag drums it says 12% and Harcros drums from Thomasville. Chem Central drums from the ones I saw, don't label the percentage at all. All three companies call there bleach Solution 15. Don't ask me why, but it's not 15%.

Your mix sounds a little weak. I mix 2.5 gallons 12% to 2.5 gallons house wash detergent (Hot water with 1 cup TSP will work also) Total mixture about 6% SH. Yours is probably around 2.5% SH.

I have not offered to clean the black artillery mold, because it is a nightmare. Luckily I've had only a couple of requests about removing them, and I simply tell them it won't come off or it will cost too much labor to hand scrap them.

Your equipment and how it is set up is also a huge factor in how well your chemicals are drawing through your injector.

What do you have? Signature or name please?

First you need to let us know what you are trying to clean so we can help you. Is it a Housewash? Roof Cleaning? Heavy Equipment Cleaning? Building Cleaning? Pool Enclosure? Concrete? Stucco? Wood? etc...

Help Us Help You.

just tryed to edit sig and would not let me said BBcode value is to large or some sh**?

sorry it was my partners house that we were working on.

we will be doing roofs also. what is the name of the fungus that grows on roofs?

i will upload some pics to make sure the black fungus(?) we could not remove is artillary mold?

thanks for helpin Mike and Chris

Your mix sounds a little weak. I mix 2.5 gallons 12% to 2.5 gallons house wash detergent (Hot water with 1 cup TSP will work also) Total mixture about 6% SH. Yours is probably around 2.5% SH.

Your equipment and how it is set up is also a huge factor in how well your chemicals are drawing through your injector.

What do you have? Signature or name please?

thanks mike i have 13 hp 3750 psi 3.5 gpm northstar with downstream injector. i think you misunderstood? the very last thing we did was inject straight 12% with a lil dawn. came right off.

there's no list of pressure washing terms on this board is there?

The Dawn had nothing to do with your results. How could you make credible assumptons when you were comparing apples to oranges? Of course straight 12% is going to have more umph than 15% diluted 4:1. Withstanding the constant dilution ratio of the downstreamer you are comparing the strength of 12% sodium hypochlorite to 3.75% sodium hypochlorite. This is what makes your experiments worthless for you in terms of finding factual data.

After the 3.75% solution of sodium hypochlorite was run through the downstreamer you might have had .5% solution hitting the wall. That is way to low to do anything unless it sat in aqueous form (wet) on the surface for a couple of hours.

Try mixing two gallons of the 15% to two gallons of water. Divide this solution into three parts. Use the first part as your control. Mix the other two parts..one with Dawn and one with TSP solution. Now rpeat your experiment and make conclusions from what you see. I am looking forward to your findings.

Guest John Sanford

If your playing chemist with 15% sodium hypochlorite and other chems I wish you luck. Is all the testing and time your spending worth the risks you may be opening yourself up to?

no check it out... i'm following recommendations i've gathered on this site. they did not work i'm asking why? i tried one part SH to one part water added tsp did not get the results i am looking for? ended up with straight 12%-15%?? with a lil dawn worked! has nothing to do with dawn..

If your playing chemist with 15% sodium hypochlorite and other chems I wish you luck. Is all the testing and time your spending worth the risks you may be opening yourself up to?

what guy?? months of research... 1 days to locate chems... and 5 hours cleaning my partners house.. master of my destiny is worth a Lott more time and testing. what about you??

if you don't have any advice..... please no comments..

thanks Beth

i will be composing a pressure washing terminology thread soon.

example: corncob in regards to deck restoration!???????!

what is the mold or algae called that affects shingles?

nope if i had it all figured out would not be asking these questions???

i think you think i'm saying dawn was the solution to my problem i am not saying this?

did you get the part about me using straight 12% into the down streamer or did you just see the word DAWN and respond?

I've read a lott of your post ken your very knowledgeable thank you for responding.

had to settle for a degreasing product i purchased from sams club called

PRO FORCE any experience using it? mixing it with SH 12%?

corncob?? your a deck man right?

PJ I am not trying to give you a hard time. I reread your first post to make sure I wasn't hasty or misreading your capitalized use of the word Dawnâ„¢ as some type of inflection. I still get the same message. You are comparing 12% bleach to 3.75% bleach. I'm not factoring in your downstreaming just the way you said you mixed it. Even a little TSP is not going to make 3.75% perfrom like 12%. It might make 9% and 12% work similarly.

THANKS Ken yea the dawn or tsp is really irrelevant. what do you know about PRO-FORCE?

WHATS A CORNCOB?

can i use a GRACO paint sprayer for deck refinishing applications?

"sodium metasilicate. It has a "scrubbing" type of effect and will lift dirt. In my opinion it is a crucial element in a housewash mix"

what name brand is this chem sold under??

thanks again

Pro-Force I can't claim to know anything about.

If you are referring to corn cob as a blasting medium, Jon Fife is the guy to talk to. It is used mostly for restoring log homes. It's like sand blasting, only you are using corn cobs. That might be a bad explaination. Jon will elaborate if he reads this post. I've never done it.

I don't know of any commercially available products containing sodium metasilicate that you can buy locally. I know some of the more popular housewash formulas contain it. I suppose you could look for a "phosphate free" TSP substitute at Home Depot. These usually contain sodium metasilicate.

Chem Central here in Greensboro, NC claims that there Sodium Hypochlorite is also 15%. I believe that it is actually 12%. If you look at the fine print on Brenntag drums it says 12% and Harcros drums from Thomasville. Chem Central drums from the ones I saw, don't label the percentage at all. All three companies call there bleach Solution 15. Don't ask me why, but it's not 15%.

My chemist has explained to me that bleach is highly unstable above 12.5%. They make it at 15%, and expect it to be sold/used 12.5%.

12% into the down streamer

Your problem is simple. 12% @1:5 mix is 2.5%. Now, push that through you injector at 1:10 and your are using 0.25% bleach. You need to be using 0.75-1.5%. That means 3:5 pre-mix or (as I prefer) no dilution for a 1.25% TTW mix.

WHATS A CORNCOB?

can i use a GRACO paint sprayer for deck refinishing applications?

sodium metasilicate - what name brand is this chem sold under??

1. The center part of a ear of corn. Usually left over after eating the corn.

2. I guess. I much prefer a deckster, but any HVLP shoudl be fine.

3. CitraClean - Rowlett. Citrus Cleaner - Sunbrite. BTW, this is what the previous poster meant about experimenting. Just by a good housewash like citrus cleaner and be done. Safe, effective, and relatively cheap.

One last comment: I think you need to spend some time playing with ratios and figure out how to calculate what is hitting the wall. From your first post, it seems that you don't get that yet, and it is a critical skill for a newbie. Once you've gotten some miles logged, you will be able to eyeball things and tweak you mix accordingly. But for now, learn how to calculate the ratios for your equipment.

Pro-Force I can't claim to know anything about.

If you are referring to corn cob as a blasting medium, Jon Fife is the guy to talk to. It is used mostly for restoring log homes. It's like sand blasting, only you are using corn cobs. That might be a bad explaination. Jon will elaborate if he reads this post. I've never done it.

I don't know of any commercially available products containing sodium metasilicate that you can buy locally. I know some of the more popular housewash formulas contain it. I suppose you could look for a "phosphate free" TSP substitute at Home Depot. These usually contain sodium metasilicate.

THANKS Ken

i will look for it.

1. The center part of a ear of corn. Usually left over after eating the corn.

2. I guess. I much prefer a deckster, but any HVLP shoudl be fine.

3. CitraClean - Rowlett. Citrus Cleaner - Sunbrite. BTW, this is what the previous poster meant about experimenting. Just by a good housewash like citrus cleaner and be done. Safe, effective, and relatively cheap.

One last comment: I think you need to spend some time playing with ratios and figure out how to calculate what is hitting the wall. From your first post, it seems that you don't get that yet, and it is a critical skill for a newbie. Once you've gotten some miles logged, you will be able to eyeball things and tweak you mix accordingly. But for now, learn how to calculate the ratios for your equipment.

lol

yea just we happen to own a HVLP at the time. glad to be able to put it to further use.

really have no probs spending the money for the proper chems just hate the shipping issues.

yea! the last comment is the real deal i'm clueless but determined and have 3-4 houses in my cul-de sac to work on. should be alil closer in a weak or two.

THANKS Doolittle.

bty who's that chick yellin in your avatar? she looks familiar

Corncob is the blasting medium used for it's hardness when doing refinsh work. Like sandblasting, the finish is being removed mechanicaly, just with an abrassive that won't do damage to the wood. Many mediums are available to the blaster like sand, walnut shells, corncob, baking soda, etc. The type and hardness will make a difference to the outcome of the job. Also different medium types have different clean-up methods. Some just wash away, others need to be picked-up. Hope that sheds some light.