Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

New for 2007

This year has been a formative year for me. I entered the year working for a lying SOB. Realized how good I had it on my own. Quit him, and put the painter's whites on again.

As many here know I'd been learning to get surfaces clean without damaging things. That hasn't been the smoothest of efforts. My fence looks like hell, I continue to scratch at chemical burns, and my Honda tries to dislocate my shoulder. But to me this is all good learning.

The new year will welcome a new business to the Cape Fear. This business will have a cleaning orientation, but offer several maintenance services. I'll post the new name when I get confirmation from the Sec. of State.

I am in process of building plans and systems that I want in place when things get humming in the spring. Much of what I'll be doing is directed by the E-Myth literature. Should anyone want to do this work in some kind of conjunction with me please PM me.

RC,

...We are currently going through the Emyth Mastery program, if you are doing the same and would ever want to talk, it would definitely be my pleasure. Good luck in the new season, JF

I don't have goals as far as communicating with others. And there are aspects of my business that I wouldn't communicate to blue waters. But I am doing management things that I would enjoy 'talking' about. And while I have some know-how, I'm sure I would benefit from the experience of others.

For instance; I'm using Business Plan 2007 to write a plan supplemented with several other tools. The software has a page for 'Keys to Success'. I think that I know what indicators/numbers I should track to facilitate achievement of objectives. BUT, you may have better indicators that I hadn't thought of for several possible reasons.

Another example; I know a compensation model that is driving a few painting companies to fabulous net. I'd share that with someone who has been generous with me but is also outside my market, as it is a competitive advantage.

I pretty much just want to communicate with others on subjects like management, finance, admin, and personel. I hoped to do something privately. But that didn't jell. I could do something here, keeping a few things to myself.

I was part of a group that built management systems for painting contractors. While I didn't complete the project, I have the 'framework'. I also thought of leading an effort to do something like write a business plan, or marketing plan, or, and this is the best, a cash-flow forecast. But my experience is that I'll make a post on one of these subjects and get 54 views and 0 replies. So, I've been working all alone. Just me and my desktop, Ted. No Ted was bad yesterday. Suzy, yeh, Suzzzy.

'night

You have to remember Bill, many readers are very new to the business of running a business. This is not 101 stuff. I think making a post about forecasts, objective facilitation and compensation models intimidates many readers. There are several very bright individuals here and I have spoken with many of them. I think some great minds could come together and I would enjoy learning from them as well as sharing what I have been taught.

I don't think of myself as an elitist by any stretch but this level of business is something new to this industry (as a whole). In years past you bought a rig and did your thing. I think it is great that you want to share your knowlege on a quid pro quo basis. I have made myself available to you if you'd like to chat sometime via phone. If you'd like to come up to PA or NJ I'd be happy to post a mini round table.

I am writing a book on a host of topics as it pertains to contractors. I am a little tighter with information than I have been in the past on these boards. That is why I was hesitant to share information but ina selective enviroment I would be fine with it.

You have to remember Bill, many readers are very new to the business of running a business. This is not 101 stuff. I think making a post about forecasts, objective facilitation and compensation models intimidates many readers. There are several very bright individuals here and I have spoken with many of them. I think some great minds could come together and I would enjoy learning from them as well as sharing what I have been taught.

I don't think of myself as an elitist by any stretch but this level of business is something new to this industry (as a whole). In years past you bought a rig and did your thing. I think it is great that you want to share your knowlege on a quid pro quo basis. I have made myself available to you if you'd like to chat sometime via phone. If you'd like to come up to PA or NJ I'd be happy to post a mini round table.

I am writing a book on a host of topics as it pertains to contractors. I am a little tighter with information than I have been in the past on these boards. That is why I was hesitant to share information but ina selective enviroment I would be fine with it.

I would love to be at that round table. Let me know if there are solid plans. Winter works best for me. :)

Well, I received my Articles of Amendment and now my company is named; CarolinaS Clean. The name change better positions me to do the roof washing that I want to do.

I had become a pretty good painter. By attending workshops given by well respected decorative painters, and paying dues, I've become a pretty good decorative painter myself. But frankly, working for princesses got old. Tip-toeing around delicate egos gets a bit tedious. I'll still do this work. I'll work all winter. But I'm looking forward to spreading the love in the spring.

Not that I'll limit my offering to roof washing, I don't think my market would support that. The plan is to do washing and decks in the spring and fall. Then generate inside work in the winter and summer.

I appreciate the generosity of many here. The beer is always on me.

Bill, loving the Cape Fear, Lightner