Sign in to follow this  
Chris

500' dock

Question

Hi everyone.

I don't do a lot of wood work however I do have a very good customer who I clean and seal a dock for. I have done it in the past and used, at her request, Swedish Wood Oil. It's a clear oil that penetrates into the wood and seemed to have a very good result, leaving the pt natural and healthy looking.

We cleaned the dock again yesterday and when I went to get the oil from the local distributor it was no longer available! I've spent quite a bit of time looking for a suitable substitution with no luck so far and wanted to ask you pros for a good recommendation for a similar, basic product. I can probably find the other on line, but at twice the price (150 for 5 gallons) and thought someone might have a better suggestion. Thanks in advance!!

9 answers to this question

Call Bill Gradisher at Flood. 800-356-6346 x2215 Just met him recently and hell give some good advice. also call russell at ESI,(wood tux) youll find his number on this board with a search.

Thanks Jon, I can find flood products locally. Have you had good results with their stuff? I'll look into the wood tux also, the name comes up so much it's gotta be worth checking out.

Chris i can ship you some Gray Away stain just call me anytime 2-3 days delivery Fed Ex.Is the old stain pigmented or clear?

If you try the WT you might want to get the new Woodrich stain Rus came out with.It sounds like it will similar to the oil base you were using.

Now if you are going to use a different stain you should strip the old stain on the deck now before using and new type stain.

Just call me if you need and help.

Chris i can ship you some Gray Away stain just call me anytime 2-3 days delivery Fed Ex.Is the old stain pigmented or clear?

If you try the WT you might want to get the new Woodrich stain Rus came out with.It sounds like it will similar to the oil base you were using.

Now if you are going to use a different stain you should strip the old stain on the deck now before using and new type stain.

Just call me if you need and help.

Careful Shane someone might take that as selfless advertising.I mean you wouldn't want anyone throwing rotten Apples at you.

Opps but all i'm doing is trying help someone fix a problem he's having getting the right product for the job.

Hey i'm also selling for Rus he's advertising on the board. ;)

Thanks guys, the nice thing is that the previous product was a translucent oil and there is nothing to strip; I'm looking for another clear oil to keep the wood "moist" (?) and natural looking. Most of the threads I've seen refer to colors added and stains and that's not what my customer wants. This seems about as simple as could be, I just want to provide her with the best product at the best price.

And shameless advertising is fine by me as long as it's no pressure... no rotten apples here!