Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

Cleaning Copper

Question

13 answers to this question

i have seen meny people ask this question and wonder WHY?

Copper is supposed to turn green. It's called PATINA.

Shinny copper would stay shinny if it were supposed too. It would of had a clear coat on it.

i also have never seen a way to do what you want with a pressure washer.

TARNEX and a sponge mop maybe.

get it at wallmart.

I guess I should have benn clearer. I am not looking to do this with my PW. I figured I would have to use some kind of rubbing compound with a high speed wheel or alot of elbo grease.

It's easier than that. Go to the grocery store. Go into the cleaning isle. Look for a small container that says Twinkle on it. Get the one for copper. It's a dream. We used it to clean a copper hood over a fireplace in a newly remodled home. It's a paste, goes on with a damp sponge (comes with it but you can use any). Then you rub it off with a dry towel.

Love the stuff.:groovy3:

Beth

Thanks..Now for the next question what kindof numbers can be charged for this service?? I know just get what your time is worth. It's a copper area on the top of an average size bay window. I was thinking atleast $125.00.

Rob,

The first one you do is going to be a learning experience. Depending on the size of the copper area to be cleaned, you are somehow going to have to assess the amount of time it will take to clean.

I have never restored copper, or should I say never been asked. I figured people wanted to keep the patina look.

The correct cleaning products will make all the difference.

Good luck.

ron:

Some folks like the green look to copper, others like the shiny copper look....It's all what the owner wants. If the owner tells me he wants his coppy shiny, I'm certainly not going to ask why, I'm going to figure out how to give him what he wants.

Hi folks, Im new to the field. I purchased a existing pressure washing company with 15 yrs worth of local exposure and experience.I am enjoying reading about everyones expertiese and suggestions.I have a suggestion for copper cleanning.It'c cheap easy and i discovered it by accident. OK here is the big secret, CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP! Seriously. Try it out at home on your pots and pans with copper bottoms.Not only will the experiment help determin set times,it will earn brownie points with the little lady.I could always use help in that department.However,i would need to venture to another site.

You can go to a place like walmart or a boat store and get what is called Never Dull. We have to shine all the bullets on our ship in the military with this stuff. It really works well. There is no Copper it can not shine. Plus try to up sell them something that will protect the shinny finish.

You should offer to do an out of the way test area free so both you and the customer can see the results before bidding.

And that also gives you an idea of time to do the job.

Better then bidding and finding out your under bid or in the end customer says THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANTED and refusing to pay. Those things can happen.

I'll have to do some scrounging in my notes but there is a company that sells a sealer for copper, along with some pretty pricey stuff to clean it as well....if your client doesn't want the patina returning. I've read the instructions on Tarnex (we also have a copper bay window to do and we've figured $125 as well and are located not too far from you) Anyway, the way I read the Tarnex instructions, it's gonna be a big pain for something the size of a bay window roof. The Cream of Mushroom soup things sounds interesting.....wonder how it will smell in this 95 degree weather we're having :) Post your results and what you used when you get done please?

Xtreme Solutions says that you can mix salt (just like on french fries) with their Xcrete concrete removal solution and get a good copper cleaner. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness or ease.