Sign in to follow this  
squirtgun

Interesting read

Interesting. As I read it, the info applies only to the interior use of bleach for mold remediation on porous surfaces. Since we are (usually) "re-mediating" mold on the exterior, non-porous, surfaces, I don't think this info will apply to most of us.

I just read that entire thread (and associated articles). And while I have not located a product for sale behind the rhetoric, I would bet there is one somewhere because the propaganda is thick as molasses.

Chlorine is toxic because dioxin is toxic, and chlorine is a major component of dioxin?!? Assuming that basic chemistry worked that way, we need to ban salt immediately. After all, chlorine is also a major component in salt (NaCL)...

Bleach not only changes the color of organic materials, it destroys them via oxidation and reduction. What does peroxide do? Yep, oxidation and reduction.

That bleach can eat 1/16" off a dried, cured deck board, but fail to consume a 1/1000" layer of living mold is preposterous.

The difference I see is that they are talking about 'indoor' use whereas we are talking 'outdoor' use. We cannot possibly spray a borate solution to the wind without kicking in several EPA regulation violations. Bleach is already on the chopping block because of irresponsible use by untrained and inexperienced applicators.

Interesting read though. It gives you an idea of where things are going in some arenas.

Rod!~

I just read that entire thread (and associated articles). And while I have not located a product for sale behind the rhetoric, I would bet there is one somewhere because the propaganda is thick as molasses.

Chlorine is toxic because dioxin is toxic, and chlorine is a major component of dioxin?!? Assuming that basic chemistry worked that way, we need to ban salt immediately. After all, chlorine is also a major component in salt (NaCL)...

Bleach not only changes the color of organic materials, it destroys them via oxidation and reduction. What does peroxide do? Yep, oxidation and reduction.

That bleach can eat 1/16" off a dried, cured deck board, but fail to consume a 1/1000" layer of living mold is preposterous.

Well written... Gotta love Chem 100 and Inorganic Chem... It has been a while, but you sure brought back memories

BTW, boric acid (Borax laundry soap) is the active chem in TimBor and BoraCare - the two main brands used in mold/fungus/insect treatment of exposed wood (crawl spaces/basements) by pest control companies. Virtually non-toxic, safer than bleach to work with - no odor/fumes - and penetrates well into the wood. Permanent - unless exposed to water - so it would not work outside.