Sign in to follow this  
POWERMEN INC

Is a kohler engine as good as a Honda in 13 hp?

Question

8 answers to this question

I prefer a Kohler over the 13 hp honda, but only the 15 hp+. The kohler 15 hp+ all have oil filter where the 13 hp honda does not. I like the filter. And my 15's all start as easy as the hondas.

I have used Honda engines before and they seem to go on forever. They just run! It's what is connected to them that breaks down. lol

We have a Kohler on one of our Hydrotek units and we had problems with it not because of design but because of lack of proper cool air flow. Blew a gasket. Now, we are looking into a fan system for it so it will stay cool. Tom at ACR products helped me install the unit and told me up front to put a fan in, but did I listen??? NO!!!! :banghead: Too much money later I learned my lesson the hardway and am still thanking Tom for his advice and kicking myself for my ignorance.

Either engine will work great for you and they both come with 2 year warranties on them.

Rod!~

All engines have their issues and every manufacturer has their list of things that have a tendancy to break. As long as you take care of your machine it will last for a long time. Believe it or not but I change spark plugs, filters and oil every 50-75hrs.

I run a 25HP Kohler. Have a friend in the landscaping industry that runs nothing but Kohlers.

You said- Believe it or not but I change spark plugs, filters and oil every 50-75hrs.

I believe you, but see no benefit in such frequent changing????

I change spark plugs in my 13 hp Honda's every year or 2 at best. Oil, I change every 100 hours or so. Filters, when they begin to deteriorate.

All engines have their issues and every manufacturer has their list of things that have a tendancy to break. As long as you take care of your machine it will last for a long time.

Exactly I have Kohler and have had good luck, Hondas too same good luck.

I believe you, but see no benefit in such frequent changing????.....

The benefit for me is piece of mind! In the time it takes for the engine and pump oils to drain, I've changed everything else. Then I refill with oil and have a good nights sleep.

call me boderline obsessive compulsive.

The air cleaner and oil are the most important things to keep changed. Some dirt gets past even the best air cleaners. The longer it is in there the more wear it causes. I use Mobil 1 synthetic and change it and the air filter every 100 hrs. I only change the oil filter every other oil change though. Seems to work, I have been told that most small engines usually only last approx. 3000 hrs. and I have a little over 6000 on my 14hp Kohler. I have also had very good luck with Hondas.