Sign in to follow this  
douseahouse

who's good at math?

Question

i've got a CAT version of the x-jet nozzle. it's got an adjustable flow rate injector so i'm experimenting. i put the injector hose in a gallon of water and filled up a 5 gallon bucket. i used up about 1 quart of my "solution" to the 5 gallons of bucket water. so, what is my mix ratio? if i had use one quart to 4 gallons then i would say my ratio is 4:1. i'm thinking that my mix is going to just be slightly higher. thanks in advance.

rando

26 answers to this question

I don't x-jet, nor have I ever seen one, therefor I'm not sure what your adjusting options are. Howerver, you have to use type of measurement....can't intermix them.

1qt to 5G = 1:20 ratio

1qt to 4G = 1:16 ratio

LOL, ...I was actually thinking about you last night (sorry if that sounds creepy:)), I was watching the finals of "Dancing With the Stars".

Ratios.....without calculating (top o' head) that would be a ratio of 3Q:40Q, or roughly 13:1. Rando---break your numbers down to a common factor, say Quarts. Forget gallons. No longer say "10 gallons" say "40 quarts". Look at it like that, then fraction it down to a "1" so that it makes sense in your head.

you guys are good but here's the tie breaker. if i am using 12.5% shc as my solution, what will be my percentage of shc output if i'm using 3qts of solution per 40qts of mix? (1:13 that is) i'm just trying to figure what % of shc i will be applying to the house.

rando

First figure out your dilution in the bucket.

1:13.3 in your bucket already takes you to .9% (a bit too weak IMO)

Now dilute that .9% and divide it by 4 (.22%). I like to end with about 1.5% sodium hypochorite (mixed with synergisitc caustics like TSP and metasilicate) hitting the house.

I think I would try a 1:1 mix of 12% sodium hypo to water.

me too ken. i had this x-jet clone for my now backup machine. if i open the flow control as much as i am allowed i'm only going to get the .9% that you have so generously calculated for me. i may be able to add some jomax or tsp and boost it up. i'm going to give it a try this weekend. the house is a two story and i need to shoot it pretty high so i wanted to try this method. thanks guys. you're all winners. now, back to "dancing with the stars".

rando

....believe they announce the winner tonight.....this was the first time I'd watched. Slater was a better dancer than Emmit, but you expect Slater to be able to dance, don't necessarily expect it out of Emmit.

me too ken. i had this x-jet clone for my now backup machine. if i open the flow control as much as i am allowed i'm only going to get the .9% that you have so generously calculated for me. i may be able to add some jomax or tsp and boost it up. i'm going to give it a try this weekend. the house is a two story and i need to shoot it pretty high so i wanted to try this method. thanks guys. you're all winners. now, back to "dancing with the stars".

rando

Rando, unless I am misunderstanding you are gonna have .9% in the bucket. By the time you run it through your X-Jet clone it will be less than one quarter of one percent. I drink that when I feel a cold coming on ;-)

oh no ken, i'm going to be pulling the shc straight and then it will dilute at approximately 1:13.3 giving me the .9% final solution. sorry if i confused you. i confuse myself all the time. i don't think that emmitt was the best dancer but he was definitely the most popular. is it time for american idol?

rando

LOL, ...I was actually thinking about you last night (sorry if that sounds creepy:)), I was watching the finals of "Dancing With the Stars".

Ratios.....without calculating (top o' head) that would be a ratio of 3Q:40Q, or roughly 13:1. Rando---break your numbers down to a common factor, say Quarts. Forget gallons. No longer say "10 gallons" say "40 quarts". Look at it like that, then fraction it down to a "1" so that it makes sense in your head.

You want to see a few interesting pictures then send me an email.

...on it's way:) It better not be a sandwich of you between the two dancing broads from that show...holy crap, those chicks were fly!!!! Wouldn't mind letting Karina tie me up and strap me a few times with a 3/8" Goodyear doublewire:),LOL

i've got a CAT version of the x-jet nozzle. it's got an adjustable flow rate injector so i'm experimenting. i put the injector hose in a gallon of water and filled up a 5 gallon bucket. i used up about 1 quart of my "solution" to the 5 gallons of bucket water. so, what is my mix ratio? if i had use one quart to 4 gallons then i would say my ratio is 4:1. i'm thinking that my mix is going to just be slightly higher. thanks in advance.

rando

We have CAT also.I threw the adjustable piece away and put in a regular hose barb.It still won't draw like an xjet.I use mine a paper weight.Pretty much $70 wasted.

If I read the math correctly you are getting a 20% draw rate which equals most hi draw downstream injectors without having tons of hose. If you are happy with the amount of chem you are putting to the wall I would save yourself the bucket carrying and just put an Adams injector on your rig and downstream. Unless of course I missed something. Need more coffee.

i think what i'm trying to do is make something out of nothing. squirt is right, this thing is "exactly what i paid for" and it's really not the right one for my unit as it's make for one with a lower psi/gpm. what i am going to do is purchase an m5 with a proportioner kit. from all i have heard this is a nice piece of equipment to have around. i usually premix my chems and use a booster pump to shoot the higher peaks but my pump is down right now and i'm looking for a quick fix untill i'm back up. i'm hope this little cheapo will get me by this weekend.

thanks all,

rando

you guys are good but here's the tie breaker. if i am using 12.5% shc as my solution, what will be my percentage of shc output if i'm using 3qts of solution per 40qts of mix? (1:13 that is) i'm just trying to figure what % of shc i will be applying to the house.

rando

Your initial concentration is 0.125 (12.5 / 100)

If that's on a "part" basis (ppm, as opposed to mass), that's basically

3 quarts solution x 0.125 quart pure SH / 1 quart solution = 0.375 quarts pure SH going into your final solution.

When you mix 3 quarts solution + 40 quarts water, you have a final solution of 43 quarts. Of that, 0.375 quarts is your SH, so your concentration is:

0.375 / 43 = 0.0087 = 0.87% which is probably what Ken meant by 0.9%. That's the solution concentration leaving the hose, regardless of your units. Either way, that's a pretty weak mix. If you want to bump up your final concentration, you can use these numbers:

1% : use a ratio of 11.5 quarts water per quart 12.5% solution

2% : use a ratio of 5.25 quarts water per quart 12.5% solution

3% : use a ratio of 3.2 quarts water per quart 12.5% solution

4% : use a ratio of 2 quarts water per quart 12.5% solution

5% : use a ratio of 1.5 quarts water per quart 12.5% solution

6% : use a ratio of 1 quarts water per quart 12.5% solution

And you can extrapolate anywhere in between for fine-tuned mixtures. If you play around with your valve settings, you can calibrate different settings to pre-determine the settings that correspond to each concentration. Or, use an inline orifice (like you mentioned). The viscosity of the SH will affect the valve settings, though, so if you want to get an accurate test, you'll have to perform the test using real SH (not approximating with two buckets of water).