Sign in to follow this  
Mike Williamson

What's your opinion...

Question

Monday I was washing a house for a lady. Everything was going great, until I begain rinsing the garage door. This garage door is the syle with several windows along the top section. I was using pretty low pressure to rinse, but when I hit one of the panes, the entire window came out and fell into the garage. The glass shattered, and as it fell, also scratched the trunk of her car. I'm freaking out, thinking GREAT, here's a $400.00 job that's going to wind up costing me more than I made to fix the damage.

However, when I picked up the parts of the window, I found one of the trim pieces from the inside was missing. There is a frame that is inserted from the outside, and the glass is held in from the inside by plastic trim pieces, one on each side of the frame. The top piece was missing, which would be a safe bet as to why the window gave way. It is obvious from the frame that the piece had been missing for quite some time (3 sides were clean, 1 side was dirty where it was exposed). I didn't use any more pressure than is typical to rinse, and I kept the wand at least a couple feet away.

The ONLY way to have avoided this would have been to either NOT wash that part of the garage door, or visibly inspect every window frame in the house to assure that there were no defective or missing parts.

I explained all this to her at the time, and she was fine with it, and gave me my check. Now she's calling after speaking with her husband, and he's saying I'm responsible to check the windows first and wants me to pay to fix the damage.

If you were in my shoes, would you think it was your responsibility to take care of this?

26 answers to this question