Sign in to follow this  
Kory

8 Gpm Question

I am thinking of upgrading to a 8 gpm pump on a 20 hp motor. My Q is do I need to upgrade anything else besides the unloader? Do I need to go to bigger hose? Any other suggestions?

I am thinking of upgrading to a 8 gpm pump on a 20 hp motor. My Q is do I need to upgrade anything else besides the unloader? Do I need to go to bigger hose? Any other suggestions?

You will only be able to get approx. 2500psi with the 20hp motor and 8 gpm. I would order a little larger pulley, if you need the 3500psi you will only be able to get 6.5 gpm, if you need 3000psi you will be able to get 7.5 gpm. 2500psi is enough for most jobs (especially residential) but if you use a surface cleaner a lot, you will like having the 3500psi better. Also if you go the 2500psi route make sure to order the right tips.

You will need to change you tip size and make sure your gun is rates for that flow, it should be unless you bought it from Home Dep. Your hose should be ok as long as the psi rating is that high and you are using 3/8". Really as lon as your pressure ratings are ok you should just have to change tips.

I did this awhile back. I do not run the skid generator anymore as it would not get enough power when using full pressure. I just run my other generator and plug the burner into it.

I get 3000 psi with 1/2" hose. Changing pulley size is asking for trouble. .

I have a Tuff skid will the burner be able to maintain at least 200 deg? As far as hose I have the grey non skid double braided 4k psi hose. So none of the internal parts or hoses of the burner or from the pump to the burner need to be changed? and if I run the burner will it drop the psi?

I did this awhile back. I do not run the skid generator anymore as it would not get enough power when using full pressure. I just run my other generator and plug the burner into it.

I get 3000 psi with 1/2" hose. Changing pulley size is asking for trouble. .

Pulley size will depend on the rpm his present pump is turning. My Hydrotek had a 1210 rpm cat on it and i replaced it with a 1750 rpm General TSF 2021, so I had to change the pulley size for the extra speed the pump needed to get the full flow. Just make sure you call Tuff (if you don't have this info in the manual that came with it) and find out what the factory pulley sizes are and what rpm the engine is turning; then calculate the pulley ratio and adjust if needed with a different size pulley. You don't want to turn the pump more rpms than it is rated for.Also, my Honda 24 hp on my Hydrotek came from the factory set at 2800 rpm, so I wasn't getting a full 24hp out of it. I reset the rpm to 3400 to get more power to run the bigger pump and had to get a different pump pulley to get 8gpm out of the pump ( it is rated at 8.5 gpm and 3600 psi)

Not trying to complicate the matter, but these are things you need to check on before changing to a different pump.

The only changes I made to run 8gpm was the pump, adjusting the unloader and running 1/2" hose. And not using the skid generator. I cut the belt as well.

Did u see a big difference when u went from 3/8 to 1/2 hose??

8 gpm is the way to go...i just purchase a hydrotek SC3008KAF 3000psi @ 200 F 25 Kohler Engine whoa is cutting my job by half time....Good luck KORY u will love your 8 gpm Machine!