Sign in to follow this  
Jim Eme

first hot water unit

Are there any real differances between the various brands? I will be looking to buy my first hot water unit

( 5gpm/3500psi Min.) for flat and roof /tile work. They all seem to use the same components. For me reliabity and ease of maintinance/repair are important. Also, does having a portable unit Vs. a trailer skid unit figure into anyones choice ?

Thanks,

Jim

The Clean Machine

Jim,

It will be a matter of opinion. Like comparing cars. Most have 4 wheels and will get you from A to B. But are you comparing a Pontiac to a Buick ? Or are you comparing the old Yugo to Rolls ?

You are right in that most have the same 3/4 brands of engines and pumps. But I think it does make a difference in how they are put together for ease of maintenance. They are all going to break, and if you are doing the maintenance choose whats best for you. I like to be able to change out a bad component without taking apart other items. I prefer flow switches over pressure switches, 115 vac burners over 12 vdc, unloaders that are mounted to a block and not on the pump head, etc. But that is all my preference and others like just the opposite.

Doug

Doug is right, componet wise they are all close to equal. Your quality machines will have a heavier frame and better overall design and easy access to wearable items like unloaders flow switches etc... Look for ones with vibration dampeners, remote monuted unloaders, and if you go with a 12v burner get the high capacity charging system and you will have much better life on the equipment.

Also, does having a portable unit Vs. a trailer skid unit figure into anyones choice ?

Thanks,

Jim

The Clean Machine

A portable unit needs to be light enough to push around so most generally are 4 gpm. You can put wheels on anything, but have fun moving a larger unit.

I myself would rather pull a long hose than wheel around some sort of Hotsy unit with wheels. Especially when you have stairs and terraced yards.

The only thing I would probably add is to go with kohler or honda engine and the general pump. I had a cat pump on a cold water unit that I bought from northern 12 years ago during part time biz. They were expensive to work on then, may be different now. I still have and use this one from time to time and the honda engine still fires on at least the third pull and runs like a top. It now has a general pump though. I bought the rk-43 from delco almost 3 years ago. The only regret I have with this one is the 12 volt system even though I haven't had any problems with it so far. I hope I didn't just jinx that.

Jim

I sell Hydro Tek units and build lots of rigs. The ss35006vg on the Hydro Tek trailer is a nice setup . The 115 volt is nice if the unit has outlets on it to plug in power tools not all manufactures do have plug outlets. If you can do the repair your self then buy where ever you want if you have a contractor freindly dist. near you go to him . I send jobs to local contractors and give them loaners if they buy from me .

Also if you are going to pull the trailer with a S- 10 or a full size truck will determine what you should buy ? As far as portable hot water unit they are good for indusrail but not what you said you are going to do . Box trailers are nice because of security and it is a billboard . Hope this helps .

If you are looking for a trailer rig check out the hydroblasters, very nice. When you pick out a machine you also need to think about your space you are working with. On a trailer you can fit a pretty big skid but in a truck or van you will need somthing with a smaller footprint. Decide which way you want to go and work from there. If you need ideas or have questions feel free to call or email and I will be happy to share my experiences.