Sign in to follow this  
grizzley

Stainless Steel

Well, as many of you know, STAINLESS steel isn't so STAINLESS....

I have a floor that is diamond plate stainless steel that is brand new but has dulled alot. It is also "blotchy" with a darker tint to it in some areas. It is dull and it should be shiney.

There is about 4000 sq ft of this stuff and I have tried a couple of items that didn't do the job. One was the 3M Stainless Steel Polish in the gallon jug.

Of all things, urine (pee-pee) is the culprit.

I would say it’s plated and has already been damaged by what you said or maybe someone used a toilet cleaner on stalls and this has ruined the floor.

If it where solid stainless it would weigh a ton. I’m taking a guess its mixed aluminum metal. (Not solid either)

Chemicals have effects on all surfaces and metals can damage rather easily.

If its already damaged and not solid, polish will not work in those areas.

Both. There is about half and half. The stainless is grade 316.

I'm looking at Mothers Wax for the aluminum. I dont know how that will work. They only want a shine for a few weeks on the aluminum.

Nobody knows what was spilled on the floors.... but it was urine, standing water (days I suppose) and freeon and maybe a few other things. And to double the trouble, they tried a few of their own coctails. If you know stainless, you know the care you have to take with chemicals before you start perminate damage.

i used to know a guy that did stainless furniture,etc and he used some time of acid to clean up after welding. he would use a battery charger and attached one terminal to the metal and the other to a rod. he would wrap a rag around the rod and dip it in the acid and then wipe it on and it would take off the stain.

Yea, I think the aluminum will be an easy fix. The SS is what has me worried. There has to be SOMETHING. The budget is open ended. The cost to replace this much stainless will be VERY high and they know it. If they can do it for 70% less, they are happy.

There are literally 1000's of alum brighteners on the market. Its a matter of finding the right one though.

i have polished an aluminum wheel one time just to see if i could do it. i got an old aluminum truck wheel from a co. that i used to truck wash for. sanded it first with 120 grit and then used the polish that i am having a brain fart about. you can see it in truck stops it is in a bar form colored different for different grits, i think there is red, white and maybe green.

hey I've done some research for you "grizzley" and I'm quite sure that the aluminium brightener would be perfect for what you need, cuz it would clean and restore your oxidized aluminum. Plus I think that an alum brightener with a dilution of 20:1 wouldn't be too strong for the SS.

And whether it don't come perfect after all these methods make sure to get them on the o'l Sheila Shine program to help prevent in future. Put her on by the gallon...j/k...don't do that, wouldn't be for a floor..:) Is good on fountains and sinks though. Buy by the gallon and apply with trigger spray.

I always had good results with the old aluminum Mag cleaner..gotta find the right one with acid in it though.Mighta been the Eagle One. Non acid wheel cleaners are mostly junk.

Mothers mag and aluminum polish. Nothing better. But it would suck butts to buy enough little jars to do that much floor.

They harder part is application on diamond plate. Terry cloth is optimal, but diamond plate usually tears terry cloth to pieces.