Sign in to follow this  
James

new wood

Question

How many out there follow deck builders and have relationships ?

How many do decks that are less than a year old ?

How many or what precentage of the decks you do are cedar ? Reed you don't count!!

12 answers to this question

James

I do a good number of new decks,

The reason is that new construction is booming here. and all so far have been PT wood I don't see many cedar or redwood decks.

As far as deck builders, I don't know of anyone who does decks alone, most are general contracters.

I do work for a couple of home builders and one modular company.

They try to sell a whole package with either a deck or porch included, I then get reccommended to the new home owner with the suggestion that that the deck or porch be done as soon as possable.

Bob

I also work with custom and production home builders. We provide new construction cleaning service (brick, stone, masonry, concrete). The builder is provided with a package that they provide the homeowner, which contains deck care and concrete sealing information. Our package recommends deck finishing as soon as wood is dry and concrete sealing. Most of these decks (99%) are PT wood.

Paul , just got back from seeing Paul Auger (blues organist).......... might be mis spelled ? Too many black and tans.... UCONN Basketball ...!!!!!!!!$$$$####$&&&** Season tickets !!!!!!!! Good nigh ty

The deck builders and home builders in this area are still in old school thinking mode. They tell the homeowners to wait a full year before doing anything to their decks (which 99 percent are western red cedar). Some of them offer coming back in a year and seal it then, no prep, that's right no prep.

When I get one of these, there are two things I can do and will do both sometimes. The citrallic that Russ offers here through Beth and Rod will remove UV stain by itself, just mix according to label. Some of the others require just a light cleaning and that is when I use a half strength EFC38. What a versatile product. Though having a deck sit a full year is, in my opinion, crazy. Especially in our environment here in the St Louis area. Granted new wood has plenty of natures oil in it and will not allow most oil based penetrating stains to sink in much, that is why I follow them up with a maintenance light wash on the one year anniversary with a light reseal, the second application will take more stain and look fantastic. On new wood, some protection is better than none. Wood Tux and ReadySeal have given me excellent results in this arena. But the key is doing a maintenance coating one year out then I switch them to a two year reminder for washing and possible reseal depending on elemental damage and foot/animal traffic.

Got to go get the trophy buck, have a great weekend all.

Reed

Paul , it was Brian Auger (played with Claptin). Reed, I used to do what you suggest. I found this to be a waste of time. The wood is just not ready to absorb oil. And there it no ill affect to the wood by letting it sit Just better results by waiting I do find and I've stated this many times most problems with cedar happen in the first year. Because of not understanding the benifits of weathering and using it to your advantage.

I guess if it works for you then do it. I haven't had any problems here in the midwest in doing what I have been doing. Customers are satisfied and I get excellent results. So what you say is a waste of your time just maybe, no argument from me, but it doesn't waste my time. Bottom line is i get the results I and the customer want. So I will keep doing what I have been doing and strive to do it better.

Happy Holidays,

Reed