Sign in to follow this  
Integrity Curb Appeal

New Honda engine technology

I copied the following from the Honda engines website.

The standard for general purpose engines has just been raised with Honda's innovative iGX Series, a new generation of intelligent computer-controlled general purpose engines.

For the first time in power equipment history, these engines feature an integrated electronic control unit that communicates with the application to achieve optimal performance.

With their multi-function, high-performance design, iGX series is the ultimate choice for a wide range of commercial and residential power equipment applications.

Applications:

• Pressure washers that automatically start or stop when the user squeezes or releases the trigger handle.

• Water Pumps that can be automatically activated based on water level by remote switch.

• Lawn mowers that can automatically vary engine speed based on load so the engine does not slow in thick grass.

• Generators that can automatically start when required and vary engine speed based on electrical draw.

Could you imagine the savings in fuel, maintainance, and equipment life?

With the pump sensor you could use inexpensive trash pump for water evacuation.

Good stuff Honda...

I have been saying the the time for electronically-controlled small engines is now.

When electronic control first hit the trucking industry, I was not a fan. I thought it was needlessly expensive and had no real clue what the advantage could possibly be.

The advantages were completely obvious once I operated one of the new trucks. Horsepower went up something like 25-30%, while fuel economy increased by similar percentages. Longevity increased as well, and time between maintenance and even lubes also increased.

Trucks got stronger, faster, quieter, and more efficient. They also became more expensive, but were cheaper to operate, and could also tell you when a breakdown was near, as well as shut themselves down in order to lessen the severity of damage when something was breaking down. This added up to the truck retaining more value, longer.

Electronic control systems are win-win-win pieces of equipment. The time really is now.

Currently the only IGX available is the 15hp single cylinder. It is due for release to OEMs in July 07. Suggested list price is $1624.00. It does not come pre programed for the auto stop/start. The OEMs will have to purchase a software program to do this The ECU {Engine Control Unit} monitors and controls engine functions including throttle, choke, ignition timing and oil alert. When this is perfected it should be nice. As a technical advisor I see the potential for many headaches until the wrinkles are all ironed out.