Sign in to follow this  
Jon

For Riftz

Question

Rob I have seen a picture of your van, in fact I do think it shows two of them but what I would like to ask and see is what type reclaim system your using and some pictures of it.

Jon

39 answers to this question

Guest rfitz

Everette, since wood restoration is my biz, and I dont want to get into trouble in the future, could you show me pics of how you reclaim your water when washing decks or log homes..?

Thank You

Here (metro Atlanta, GA) I see no company advertising reclamation methods. I can see using that as a HUGE selling point. Can somebody point me in the right direction to learn about reclamation (equipment, methods, what to do with the reclaimed water, etc.)? I would really appreciate learning about this.

Ryan H

borgwiser@hotmail.com

rfitz,

My company does many things. On commercial work we use the proper equipment to comply with the regulations at all times. We do commercial fleet washing, building cleaning, and flatwork. We block the drains, we use berms and we pump water. No water leaves the site and solids are disposed of on site. We do not use the same items on residential unless the runoff is going to the street and into the storm drains. I would suggest you first find out the regulations both federally and in your state first. Check with the EPA and they will guide you. If you would like to discuss how to comply and what the regulations are feel free to call 1-866-440-3325 anytime to discuss. This past summer the EPA in NJ tested along the waterways of the shore to find out about runoff, chemicals, coatings, and such and how far they will leach into the ground and whether it is a concern or how much of a concern. I don't remember posting about reclaiming water around decks, I will say though that I don't let it go into the street and into the storm drains. By the way, my company consists of many businesses including a farm and pest control. Add the pressure washing and I have a great relationship with the government agencies in my state, I need to, as well as partipate with Rutgers Cooperative on many tests in regards to farming. These relationships are what keep me ahead of the curve. Please don't think I only do wood restoration, my businesses require that I know the laws and regulations. As I said feel free to call in regards to the above if necessary, I have often posted, anyone can call me anytime.

Rob,

This can be a starting point for you:

www.epa.gov/earth1r6/6en/w/pw.htm

There are houses we wash that are near creeks and some even have their gutters empty into ponds, while others have driveways that angle into the street.

If a driveway angles into the street, we berm it and redirect the water into the grass / ground - away from the storm drain or sewer.

Where gutter down-spouts are going into systems that feed ponds, we disconnect the pipes and redirect the water into the ground.

There are some jobs I will not take on because the water needs to be picked up and it's not practicle or cost effective as in case of a house wash or deck care job.

Sometimes it feels right to say NO to a job.

by squirtgun
We have 5 kids between my wife and I,the very least we can do is try to leave them a clean place to live after we are gone from this earth.

A very good point and everyone should be able to see this clearly.

by rick g
When someone buys a property adjacent to a gas station, dry cleaner or garage an environmental impact study is done. If there are chemicals found on that property who do you think they go after to clean the site up? And who gets sued in the process

This may very well be you, and it does not have to be one of the sites mentioned above. Lawsuits always look for scapegoats.

by John T
I won't waste my valuable time playing with reclaiming equipment and not making anymore $$$ in doing so.

Understood, but if you can make the same money you make now doing PW or make no money at all as you need to find a new business to run and then conform to other laws, then which would you pick?

by rfitz
well what happens when the Fire Dept. that pumps 1000 gallons a minute from only 1 pumper, they will also have to reclaim or be fined right

As I have read a few times, "water used for firefighting purposes is exempt under the CWA" There are many violations of the CWA daily such as sprinkler runoff and rain for example. Rain is not enforceable and sprinkler runoff is very minimal is comparison to any pressure cleaning application. Your comments on making places like Wal MArt put in drains that go to the sanitary sewer are in place for places like gas stations and car washes. At least around here. Any new construction of places like those have the long grates at the end of the driveway and go to a sand trap and then the sanitary sewer.

by rfitz
that means every person in the USA , that washes their car on their driveway has to legally reclaim their wash water..? or be fined,?

Around here they encourage people to wash their cars on the lawn or in a dirt area. Yes if the water goes down the drain it is a violation, but the local authorities and the EPA are out looking for people who profit, not the homeowner. Mobile detailers here recover water when washing at a person house or they will be fined.

I will restate what I said earlier, incase anyone missed it. Just because you reclaim is no guarantee that you are going to make any more money, but it will help you in making money and not losing it as a fine can be very costly, and may destroy some washers completely.

Recovery equipment can be very cheap to very costly. It depends on what you are washing, where you are washing it, and what you need to do with the water.

Sure there are some very expensive systems out there, but is that what everyone needs? No it isn't, we all have to look at our individual business and see what applies the most.

Recovery is not hard, does not take that much time.

I did the research for here in Missouri. There are NO reclaim laws for decks or fences. In fact, there are NO water reclaim laws period. That is exactly why QT's and Mobil stations here do it the way they do. Some of my competition are firefighters and do the "deck" thing for extra money. It would make your hair stand on end to see how they do it.

Reed

Personally, I feel if you are washing the gas stations and any runoff into storm drains should be reclaimed. But I can tell you here in Missouri "it just ain't so". There are no laws to enforce for reclaim on the gas stations. There may be city ordinances but no state.

This is a subject that effects us all. Missourians are just a little slower, hence the nickname, Show Me State. The legislators will jut have to be shown by the EPA to get things done as they should be done.

If I have to reclaim then I'll look into it. Untill then I am not going to worry about. I will not go out of my way to support it for the work I do because I don't believe in it. Its just another way to force restrictions down our throats so somebody can make a few bucks and it not the general contractor either.

As far as this point goes "We have 5 kids between my wife and I,the very least we can do is try to leave them a clean place to live after we are gone from this earth.

Here's an idea...Get out of this business alltogether so your conscience is completely clear because everytime you fire up your powerwasher you pulluting the very air that your kids breath.

To reclaim water that has no chemical in it what so ever is completely ludercrous. This is a sale job for someone to make $$$$. I can see it as do plenty of others. If you are using chemicals then that is another story and also cleaning gas stations but for the routine commercial flat work. I don't buy it.

I took this stand last year as I do this year. Go ahead and buy the Reclaiming systems but you will be smoked by guys that don't use it and are getting the same price as you are..maybe even more. How can you compete with that. You can't. Kendra couldn't!!

Reed,

Federal law applies to all States. I am not sure if each State needs to incorporate Federal law into the States, but the law is there. Enforcement on the other hand may not be there.

John T,

I am not getting smoked, as I go after work that you and most washers can not do. Interior work is out there but without the right equipment, you will not get it.

As far as getting out of the business due to air pollution, I have equipment that meets the specification of the Air Qulity Control laws. My equipment is no more polluting than anything else that uses fuel for power.

If you truly believe(This is not directed to anyone specifically) in Reclaiming as Allan and Jon do then I can respect that even thought I disagree with it. But I have a feeling that alot of people here are talking like they are big followers of reclaiming because its politically correct and yet they aren't compliant at all because they don't reclaim. I would be willing to bet that my above statement is 100% correct.

I on the other hand are telling the straight truth with no Sugar coatings to it what so ever. If you truly believe in the reclaiming then do it like Allan and Jon do but please don't say that it should be done to keep this world a cleaner place and yet you probably aren't doing it. This is directed to anyone who could fall into this catagory and no one specific.

Potically correct also never flies in my belief systems but Honesty is at the very top. I want "Nothing but the truth, The whole truth, so help you God" Sound Familiar???

Why are those of you who have "outed" yourselves re: non-compliance of the CWA making a point of being adamant about it?

All your competition has to do is call the local EPA office and they are right there looking through your door. It sounds like some form of death wish. This is a public forum why not erase your self-incrimination. The likelihood of EPA enforcement is greatest when you stand around waving a pollution flag - in essense daring them to get you.

Please forgive my ignorance in this area, although I'm getting more educated on it by the day, but are you all primarily referring to pressure washing large flat surfaces because I really can't picture how you can reclaim your water at a residential property. Most of our water soaks right into the ground when we do a house, gutters or roof.

This is clearly just one more aspect of pressure washing that many new companies may not take into consideration. We are not doing parking lots, drive-thrus, etc... for this specific reason. Don't have money for the reclaim piecy-parts right now so don't take jobs that may have a need for it.

Thanks,

Celeste

John T,

If you will notice I said "try" I'm not some tree hugging liberal,in my book PITA stands for people eating tastey animals,but as far as the CWA is concerned I will make an effort to reclaim.I and my children enjoy fishing,and I have been to large lakes where you could not eat the fish because of the pollutants,that large factories dumped in the water.

I am new in the biz,and I want to make our business strong by trying to do the right things.Once again I said "try" I'm not perfect and neither is this industry,or the world we live in.You do what you need to to keep your conscience clear and I'll do what I need to.Make no mistakes , I know for a fact that no one who PWs in our area does reclaim,commercial or residential.I know it's not enforced here,but at the very least I know my company will be making an effort.

The main reason we are trying to set up some type of reclaim,is because guys like Jon and Alan,and the advice they share here.I had never even considered reclaim until reading their posts.

The CWA applies to residential work also if there is a run-off of cleaning and rinsewater into the storm system thru a sloping driveway, the run-off can enter a creek, stream or river.

You can try to redirect the runoff from the driveway into the grass or ground area. If that's not possible, the run-off (by CWA) SHOULD be collected.

Scott, I agree with you, it wasn't until I was educated through these boards that I had considered reclaiming. No governing body in my area is enforcing the CWA as far as pressure cleaners, and no one that I can find offers reclaiming and that is one of the reasons I do. Jon told me early on not to bash the competition that does not reclaim and I don’t. I tell the customer that it is built into the price and because of our ‘advanced equipment’ (sump pumps) ;) we can offer this at prices competitive with traditional cleaners. If you learn to pitch it right it kind of sells itself. Rick G