Sign in to follow this  
douseahouse

oxalic acid

Question

where do you get this stuff? i found it on ebay but i think it can be bought cheaper. what does it clean? i'm looking for something that will remove the rust stains off of concrete. i have some hydroflouric acid (aluminum brightner 2) that is supposed to do the job but that stuff has been know to kill you. thanks, the life you save may be mine.

rando

13 answers to this question

Oxalic acid is used to remove irrigation rust stains. I have successfully used it on concrete, brick, vinyl (siding/fences), plastic lawn furniture, and downspouts. I get it locally now but I used to get it from Steve at RPC but others carry it. It's usually in the wood restoration chem section because it's used to brighten/nuetralize wood after stripping with a caustic.

Your one source for everything pressure cleaning washer

Envirospec North

Rowlett Pressure Cleaning Service

Dustin, I've went to that site several times, and almost ordered but didn't because I didn't really want to pay shipping. I never would have looked at it better to see that it's in Cayce if I didn't read your post. I'll be down in Columbia this Thursday, I'll have to stop by and get some Oxalic. It has GOT to be cheaper then 10 dollars a gallon, which is what I have been paying!

Thanks

Dustin, I've went to that site several times, and almost ordered but didn't because I didn't really want to pay shipping. I never would have looked at it better to see that it's in Cayce if I didn't read your post. I'll be down in Columbia this Thursday, I'll have to stop by and get some Oxalic. It has GOT to be cheaper then 10 dollars a gallon, which is what I have been paying!

Thanks

If you come to the beach, tell me a week ahead of time and I can get you a 55lb bag, it cost right around $42 I havent bought it in about 8 months. I usually get 2-4 bags

just let me know ahead of time

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that's almost worth a trip to the beach! I have been wanting to use oxalic after every concrete job I do just because the concrete looks better, but I have not been able to find it at a reasonable price and quantity, until now. I have used "bar keepers friend" in a pinch to remove small isolated rust stains. I have 12 grocery stores I'll be cleaning next week, and I will get them looking great with this oxalic!

concerning oxalic, if you are washing a deck and you notice rust stains from the nails will this stuff work without damaging the finish? now take in mind that's i'm only cleaning off the deck and not stripping.

thanks,

rando

Randy,

Long time no see! lol Yes, the oxalic will remove the rust, but it may also lighten the stain a little, so you would need to either just apply at the rust or spray the entire deck. It also works real well on nail rust stains on fences.

How's your "new" trailer working for you?

where do you get this stuff? i found it on ebay but i think it can be bought cheaper. what does it clean? i'm looking for something that will remove the rust stains off of concrete. i have some hydroflouric acid (aluminum brightner 2) that is supposed to do the job but that stuff has been know to kill you. thanks, the life you save may be mine.

rando

What are you looking to clean?

Acids by themselves have limited uses and are usually part of a 2 step system of cleaning. One part is to set up an environment that is corrosive and then an alkaline product is added on top to create a cancellation by violent reaction which generates surface activity to help dislodge pollutants making them easier to remove during the rinse process.

Some acids when used on certain stains act as an oxidizing agent to remove the color in rust stains and dissolve the oxide residue from the surface it has adhered to for easy removal.

Acids can bleach (oxidize) tannin staining in wood, help to remove clay staining from siding and the aluminum oxide residue below capped window trim.

Acids can brighten some metals and etch others creating pits.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, will better determine which acid(s) to use.

Also, this will help many of us to lead you to the right source for your needs.

Rod!~

this is an old post that somehow came back to life. i found and bought some oxalic acid from the chem store. i haven't used it yet but i plan on using it on rust stains in concrete as i understand it works well at removing them.

thanks for the heads up,

rando