Sign in to follow this  
5282jt

How to replace packings in a Comet FV-5530 pump?

Question

9 answers to this question

My experience with comet pumps is that the packings are exactly the same as the general pumps, to the point of being interchangeable. SO you would od it the same way. As for parts, you should be able to get them from all the usual suspects.

Russ Johnson from Southside Equipment should be able to supply packings and all the knowledge to replace the packings. I am sure he is a vendor on TGS. He is one of the more knowledable people in this industry.

If you reach in the opening with your finger you should be able to pull out the brass ring that is in the head of the pump. Behind the rings are the packings which you should also be able to remove with your finger, or some gentle persausion with a pick or screwdriver. Be careful not to scrape the brass. When you get the new packings install them the same way as the old ones. I can get you a price on them if you let me know the model # of the pump.

What Paul said.

Stick your pinky down the hole to pull on the brass piece. It imght take a bit of work, but it should come out. If it is real bad, and hard to get out (warning: This is not the official recommended tool, or method. Do it at your own risk) You can use a Pipe nipple remover. The inside of the brass is not a pressure fitting. You will want to be very careful because you do not want to damage the inside of the brass ring. It does make it easier to get out, though. There is also a tool you can buy to remove packing. I used to have one, but, it got tossed by someone that did not know what it was...

Once you have the packing out, you will want to keep at least one of them in the order the pieces came out, so you will know how to put them back together. When you are putting them back together, there is one section that will be a pressure fit into the brass ring. Make sure that this part is seated fully. There are usually brown and black rings. The black rings help the brown rings keep their shape when the pressure is on. I usually put a black ring down the hole and then install the first brown ring. You will need to work this ring in to make it fit. It is a very tight fit, and almost will look and act like it is too big for the hole. If you put it in so that one side is in the hole, and gently work it in, it will go. (Same Warning as above) You can sometimes use a small screwdriver, with the flat edge against the edge of the seal or ring, to help work it in. You really really really have to be careful if you do this so you do not damage the ring. After this first ring is installed, go ahead and reinstall the brass pieces into the hole in the same order that they came out. The last brass piece will also be a tight fit, but it will go in. Make sure it is fully seated, as well.

When you put the head back on, it might have a hard time going on. This is because of the seal. You do need to work it on slowly and evenly to avoid problems. Make sure that all the bolts are tightened down properly. I also go ahead and change the valves under the caps and especially the orings that the valves sit on. Tighten everything up, hold the trigger gun open as you start the machine and reset the Unloader.

Piece of cake.

Be sure to grease everything as you assemble, too. How's the oil look? Those piston nuts look pretty bad...might need to change them and the washers, too. Check closely for any cracks in the pistons.

I wasn't looking at that. They do look kind of ugly. However, if the plungers or pistons are cracked, when you remove the nuts, you will know for sure. They usually crack all the way through.