Sign in to follow this  
racechaser

Calling all Los Angeles Washers !!!!!

Question

I'm in Los Angeles this week and am looking for things to see Saturday that you can see on the red line.

We were supposed to take a bus tour with our group (we still may) but the tour details are starting to get sketchy. On a walk to Rite aid down the street we noticed the subway. It looks like it will take us anywhere we need to go bus or subway for $3.00 a day each.

We want to see the Chinese Theatre and the walk of fame. My daughter(15 years old) wants to see the "Star" type attractions. It is just the two of us here.

We have been staying at the Westin Bonaventura and can catch a subway a block down.We can go to other lines besides the red line if there is something cool to see another direction.

Any help will be great

Scott

8 answers to this question

Ther Red Line will take you straight to Hollywood and Highland where the Chinese Theater is. I wouldn't go to far East on the "Walk of Fame" or you might your image of Tinseltown may be tarnished. Stay in that area around the Kodak Theater and the Chinese and you will be fine. Really anything North, South or East of that immediate area are places you don't really want to see. If you want to tour some famous sites, there are some big red double decker buses that do some decent ones. When you are done there you can get back on the redline to the next stop towards North Hollywood and hit Universal Studios and see how the movies are made. It comes out at the bottom of a big hill so just walk East across Lankershim and there is a bus that will take you up the hill.

There are some great restaurants at Citywalk right outside Universal for dinner. The first one you see coming out is Saddle Ranch but that is more of a bar.I would suggest heading towards the middle. Bubba Gump is a great place for shrimp and Camachos has some decent, albeit unauthentic, Mexican food. If you just want some diner type food there is the Daily Grill and Tony Romas. There is a great brewery on the middle level next to Camachos and BB Kings Blues club next to that.

If you want to see actual stars, ur gonna have to go down to Rodeo Dr in Beverly hills, you are bound to see a couple of faces you recognize. If you need more let me know.

Thanks Matt

Two more questions,

1) Where is the "Egyptian Theatre", and what is it? The name sounds famarliar to me but I can't place it. someone told me to go there.

2) If I take the blue line to Long Beach, it ends at the transit mall according to the map of the Metro. How far is that from the beach? Is there a place to walk on the beach there? Or should we just a ride a bus to Santa Monica and Venice Beach. We just want to see the Pacific Ocean. After all it's supposed to be a hard feeze here for the weekend and we didn't bring "winter wear" to sunny southern California for our trip.LOL

Thanks

Matt

The Egyptian is about 3 blocks East of the Chinese on Hollywood Blvd on the South side of the street. I actually havent seen it since it reopened but I hear they did a good job.

Long Beach isn't as much a beach as it is a port, and that line truns in to an above ground train that goes through some not so savory areas of LA, just a heads up. But if you want to see the ocean and it is your only means of transportation, Long Beach is your only bet unless you want to catch a bus. All the great beaches are in Orange County South of Long Beach. You can visit the Queen Mary there and the Aquarium of the Pacific is pretty cool. I'm sure you can get a boat tour from there. If you are feeling adventurous, you can catch a boat to Catalina Island from Long Beach or go whalewatching.