Sign in to follow this  
Cannon

House Washing

Question

What are the best chemicals and methods for cleaning a house?

The chems I plan on using now are Bleach, Cascade and Dawn. Is there something better?

The method is still up in the air. I have 24' extendable wand. I could put a chem tip on that... or I may buy an X-jet... or I may look into a Shurflo sprayer.

Also, I'm not sure it people just spray on chems, let it sit and then spray it off.... or if a brush is used to clean the side of the house.

23 answers to this question

I think it comes down to what works for you. We use both x-jets and shur-flo set ups. I personally like the shur-flo. I recently saw a contractor wh ouses an x-jet that is inserted into a back pack sprayer. This was a neat idea and takes away the need to move a bucket, that works for him.

On brushing, I always brush trouble spots before washing. If you brush afterwards you show the spot where you cleaned more prominently. I see folks who go to a job and never brush anything. If the pressure washer doesn't get it, oh well. You certainly should keep brushes on the trucks for any circumstance. Just my opinions, I hope they help.

There are as many ways to clean a house as there are pressure washers and the same for chemicals used. I can only speak for myself. I mix chems by the 5 gallon pail. I use 2 gallons bleach or 12.5% Chlorine, 1 - 2 gallons commercial pressure washing soap-alkaline based either sodium hydroxide or sodium mescilliate, 1 - 2 gallons water depending on the amount of soap and a generous squirt of dawn dishwashing detergent(gives the mix more cling) I apply with extension wand - downstream at around 20%- temp 150 -175 degrees- bottom to top and allow to dwell for approx 5 mins but never let it dry. Clean windows first then rest of the wall then rinse windows again. I haven't had to brush in a long time other than the gutters. If your wash mix is right all you should have to do is rinse very well and the house should look great. Just how I do it and it works great for me I can do 2 houses a day 1 man show. For the front and back walls single story or anything I can reach with a 72 " wand I use duel lance wands to downstream and wash. Very efficient but this will come with experience. Ive been doing this for over 5 years now and just making it into a full time gig. Remember practice makes perfect and there are tooooo many variables to consider to have just one approach to house washing. Good luck and I hope you are successful. I never knock healthy competition, it helps keep us all in line and on our toes.

We run across some things on most jobs that can not be removed without brushing. There is no shame in having to brush.

By brand name, a few of the commercial soaps are:

www.SunBriteSupply.com (AllBrite)

www.Hotsy.com (Ripper 1)

www.RowlettPressure.com (Citracleen)

Delco at www.dcs1.com sells soaps

Envirospec at www.Espec.com sells soaps

www.Xterior.com at Xterior

Maybe I am from the old school......I still use the 2 step process on many homes that are aluminum or some types of vinyl. I ran into one problem last year with a home that was sided with a recycled vinyl panel. You can regognize this if the back of the panel is black. Normal vinyl siding the color is all the way through.

Believe it or not this was on a 300 thousand dollar home. Long story made short......the color washes right off. Be careful of these. Best advise is to walk away unless you can clean it with plain water.

Mike C.

Acids generally do not attack plastic or vinyl, and acrylic paints.

Most acids are stored and shipped in plastic containers.

Stronger concentrations of acids will etch glass even though glass beakers are used by scientists when handling.

However, they are VERY corrosive to metals (including stainless), will eat holes thru clothing, paper.

do you want a fast easy clean and 2 step a house?

Easy. Use a citric acid followed by a high alk soap.

You could cut the 2 stepping by useing just a citric based house wash. Limonlene.

The chem reaction between a acid and a base will clean most anything better then a single soap. The further the distance between the 2 PH's the better.

Too meny people think of acid like BATTERY ACID.

Very wrong way to think about acid.

[by the way battery acid come's in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box, not to mention your battery in your car is plastic]

Originally posted by oneness

ronp:

I'm not trying to be critical, but there's no such thing as Limonlene. It is d-Limonene. While most of us know what you're referring to, someone unfamilliar with what you're referring to wouldn't.

As Bart Simpson used to say, "Contrair Mofrair, now there is a Butterfingers Group!!"

http://www.envirospec.com/chemicals/limonene.htm

That's just the way Ron spells it....ok..spelling error at greatest.

We all know exactly what Ron is talking about, regardless of how he spell's it.

If I called any of my chemical suppliers and ordered a 5 gallon pail of limonlene house wash, they will know what I want.

We should be glad Ron contributes so much information to this board, regardless of his spelling errors. Most all can walk away a little more knowledgeable after reading his posts.

My .02

Tony-Your not kidding.

Ron P. is like a walking encyclopedia when it comes to powerwashing, motors etc. I wish I could retain half of what he spews out. I like to consider myself as a person who can retain alot but compared to Ron I feel like I have A.D.D.

Like I said, I was not trying to be critical, and I certainly wasn't calling to question his knowledge or experience. I've learned a lot from reading his posts. And Tony, you're correct, we all know what he's referring to...because we're familliar with the product. I was, as I mentioned, referring to someone new to all this. My apologies to all for being so critical.

Mike,

I know you're not being critical to be mean spirited. It just kinda came out that way.....

My belief is that even someone new to this would figure out very easily what Ron was referring to.

the last time i pulled someone up who was wisemouthing ron after ron had answered a question....i got a email off the stand in admin saying i should not post telling them to watch thier p&q's when someone go's out thier way to answer.

the impression i got was we must'nt upset anyone who might buy from me..since it was a email i did not lower myself.....if he had posted it ..i would of told him......stuff it.

mike..these posts can be taken the wrong way... sometimes its hard to get things across the way its meant...i sure you meant well :) ...as ron does....by the way tony only just beat me with his post :)

Guest rfitz

I understand the 2 step theory, and would think it would clean dirt really well,

but Im not sure it would do much against mold or algae, which is mostly what the houses I have clean, how would you do a 2 step method when you have to throw a bleach solution into your mix...?

Rob,

In a 2-step such as a Citric or another tpye of acid wahs followed by an alkanine, your chlorine would be added to your alkaline detergent (never add chlorine to an acid as this may give off a poisonous gas - chlorine gas). Remember, anything with pH above 8 would be considered an alkaline (8 a weaker and 14 stronger alkaline), anything below a pH of 6 would be considered an acid (the lwoer the number, the stronget the acid).

I agree with all, everyone has their best formula of soap to wash a house. But always have a different soap or degreser to help just in case your normal formula does not work so well.

When we are in the rinsing process we add 2 cap fulls of jet-dry to our 60gallon water feed tank to help aid in spot free rinsing. With this process the windows will dry almost always with no hard water marks.

You are the hero to the home owner.

Guest Danebob

I have added Pressure washing to my window cleaning. I've been researching on what the right chemicals are and what others use. Bleach seems to be a must. I came across Clorox Outdoor from Lowes. It is enviromet friedly and works great. I mix water bleach 1:4.