Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Robison

Referrals amongst contractors

Question

What do you consider a decent referral fee? Say I give a deck guy a lead that I do not want, or they give me a referral on a big commercial job.

I am thinking 10% of the total job if they get it. Is this too low? Too high? Or just keep it a good gesture amongst friends in the industry and nothing gets exchanged?

Jeff Robison

Clean Up Atlanta

678-360-2518

4 answers to this question

I quite often will give another contractor $50 - $250 as a thank you, Keep it informal is what I like to do. Most of the time its just a thank you and return the favor, Unless its talked about, a percentage when you get the call

It depends upon what a company's acquisition cost is for leads. If a guy has a marketing budget of 10% gross sales and you send him a hot lead that turns into work at his usual margin, then asking for ten percent is a very reasonable fee. The problem is, most guys won't see it that way. I think Jeff is right. Keep it informal and exchange leads. If you think it will be too one sided make a prearranged price per lead. If you came to me and offered me leads at 10% of what I am charging I would say no thank you.

Not everyone is thrilled by giving out their prices, so percent might not be the best method. If you get to know the guy good, come up with a service that you wont do at all and swap with him even trade.

The benefit comes from not having to do the job you don't specialize with. I do only wood restoration so I'd be more than glad to refer some roofs to a guy that does roofs. Seems like most roof people and house washers don't want the hassle of dealing with wood so they send it over to me.

On a particularly large job, I'd make it a point to send some money their way, or do a little more up selling for them when you do bids