Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Recent deck job

Question

here is a nice deck I just did. The owner is a plastic surgeon who actually built the deck himself-not the arbor. He said he put himself through school doing this. after a couple stains with Cabots oil semi trans, he figured it was not one of his skills and called me.

post-4622-137772173067_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772173073_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

Stripped with f-18 and brightened with oxalic. stained with WTW mixed with Woodrich. Climbing on top of the arbor was fun, but not half as much fun as spraying upwards!!

post-4622-137772173095_thumb.jpg

post-4622-1377721731_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772173105_thumb.jpg

Jon,

I'm jealous. You're down in Fla. working on wood and we poor souls in the Northeast are freezing.

Really like that deck with the huge tree trunk. That's one piece of wood you don't want to clean the mold/mildew/moss.

Stripped with f-18 and brightened with oxalic. stained with WTW mixed with Woodrich. Climbing on top of the arbor was fun, but not half as much fun as spraying upwards!!

Welcome to the arbor staining family Jon! :cool: Did you enclose the arbor completely?

Now you have to tell them to replace the nasty fence or repair it and let you clean and stain it! It's gonna stand out like a sore thumb next to that purrdy wood!

I did enclose the arbor, Couple spots came open while I was spraying so I had to clean some spots off the siding.

Took only about 2 hours on the arbor including covering.

I did enclose the arbor, Couple spots came open while I was spraying so I had to clean some spots off the siding.

Took only about 2 hours on the arbor including covering.

Jon did you staple the plastic with little pieces of cardboard? You a one man show or you have a helper? I know how hard arbors are to stain alone it's not fun!

I use a staple gun from Duo-Fast $75 and they have some staples 5/8 inch long i think. It takes a good breeze to pull the plastic down with those staples!

I did staple them down like that. then clipped the edges. I wished I had brought along my helper, but Its hard to train and do at the same time, so I left him back. There were a lot of things he could have done that would have been a big help though, so next time He comes along.

I don't blame you i have to hire some help for sure this week i have a big but easy arbor to stain next week.It has pavers underneath but i talked him into sealing the pavers to make my life easier! :cool:

If you get more arbor jobs that you have to cover the arbor the longer staples a big difference. I know Fla.can get a little breezy at times and i noticed when the stain gets on the plastic in the heat it starts ripping easier.