Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

An idea for removing latex paint from decks

Question

I was experimenting with cleaning some of paint brushes loaded with dried

latext paint. One of my experiments consisted of a capful of downy fabric softener and 1/8 cup of tsp mixed into a paint bucket (approx 1 gallon) of scalding hot water. Within 30 seconds - the dried latex paint on the wood handles emulsified and came off in the same consistency that sealers come off my decks when I strip them with caustic strippers. But this was old dried out cured latex house paint! So I thought maybe some of you guys with hot pressure washers could experiment with using really hot water and downstreaming a strong solution of tsp and a surfactant - and then rinsing with really hot water - to see if there is a cheap way of removing latex paint. Now you'll probably raise the grain of the wood - but in this kind of situation, doing a little sanding after probably would beat really expensive causting paint strippers. Just a thought

7 answers to this question

Sounds like the same results as if using a heat gun to strip paint with. Get it hot enough and it will come off.

Downey fabric softener eh?....no wonder I itch after my clothes have had that stuff on it. lol

Rod!~

Hot water is a no-no for wood - but so is latex paint. There will have to be sanding done with this technique. Just thought it might alot quicker and cheaper than paint strippers. And most times I have seen decks where lots of paint stripper was applied - lots of sanding was still involved.

i've done a deck with a floor sander used to finish hardwood floors just have to be really careful about the wood dust that comes up there will be nasty stuff in there if its pressure treated