Sign in to follow this  
Gumlogguy

What's everyone using on old splintered wood docks?

Question

Hi Wood Guy's

I'm pretty new to this world of wood sealing, but was wondering what is a good coating to cover splintered docks on a fresh water lake. I have no problem with washing and making them look good, but wanted to cover the splinters. Any suggestions ? Thanks...Gumlogguy

27 answers to this question

I have done a couple of docks with the Spa n Deck. one had started peeling with in a year, and had mildew growing under the sealer. The others I havnt checked on. But I have seen many in this area done with it. Im not impressed. lots of failure. However, I dont know the history of the ones Ive seen with the failing finish. Could have been applied wrong.

I did recoat one that a homeowner had used Spa n Deck. lots of peeling and it did not recoat very well.

We have had good results with the two Spa n Deck projects HOWEVER, you need to charge accordingly. It is a two process system and it's not inexpensive. These factors have to be taken into consideration. Also, we put the product down almost 3 years ago - I think I may have addressed VOC changes with Flood but wouldn't swear to them assuring me that the formula was the same. Neither project has flaked, peeled, chipped and still look very nice after this time period.

Celeste