Sign in to follow this  
Gumlogguy

What's everyone using on old splintered wood docks?

Question

Hi Wood Guy's

I'm pretty new to this world of wood sealing, but was wondering what is a good coating to cover splintered docks on a fresh water lake. I have no problem with washing and making them look good, but wanted to cover the splinters. Any suggestions ? Thanks...Gumlogguy

27 answers to this question

Scott, Yep That's me... I have just been out of the wood business for 4 years, and wanted to get an update on what's been happening in the world of wood. I may go back into the business as an owner and let the guy's do the work. My life evolves around Real Estate now. I just didn't want everyone to know who I was. So I figured I'd be sneeky and sign up as a newbie, But you were smarter than me and busted me. LOL Lets keep it our little secret OK? Chris The Gumlogguy!!!

It sure is good seeing you here Chris, but I knew this would not stay hush hush for long. Biggest change since you were sealing wood, I think are your VOC laws changes which have effected coatings greatly. Heck, the rest of it, well you could show us all a thing or two I am sure. In fact...you taught the class we took in 1999. You rock man, great to see you're thinking about wood again.

:cheers:

Beth

Thanks Beth, It was great chatting with you today, I'm glad to see you & Rod are still hanging in there. Looks like you have a popular chat room site. Also looks Like I got busted right away, Scott from Syvester Ga. must have recognized me. I wasn't trying to fool anyone, I just wanted some info and not get discovered, You'd think after 4 years people would have forgotten about me.

I'll stick around for a while, I still want to learn what everyones using on old docks. Thanks Chris

Chris, we've never crossed paths but I have heard about you :) Please consider this a personal invitation to attend the NC Contractors Networking Event on Sat, Feb 10th in Greensboro, NC. There will be a number of discussions on wood there and two stain manufacturers will be displaying. If you'd like to see the whole 9 yards of what's going on, I'll be glad to send you the previous newsletters that have gone out. PM me your email address if you're interested :)

Welcome back to the business & TGS!

Celeste

Chris

Living as I do, right on the water, I have seen my share of wooden docks. Your best bet is going to be resurfacing the wood every time. Once a dock takes to splintering there is little else you can do to protect bare feet from impending doom.

A good floor sander should make quick work of it. Best to use a unit with recovery if you are directly over the water. Once you've got it resurfaced, you can pretty well go with any finish you like.

Thanks Everybody,

I'll do some investigating, I really didn't want to go the sanding route, just wanted a quick fix before I recommend replacing, Y'all remember those sealers that came out years ago like Wolmans Extreme and something called Tropi-deck, I think, one thing they at least did was to allow you to coat on coat and at least cover up some of splinters & cracks and didn't look to horrible either. Back in my day I was never too keen on any sealers that were just a coating, I always have and still do like the Ready Seal, I've got it on My Dock & Decks at the lake and in Atlanta. But my wood is in good condition. Did some say that Flood has a new one out? Has anybody used it yet?

Celeste, Thank you for the info about the wood convention, I try to contact you. Chris / Gumloggguy

The Flood guys will be at Celeste and Roger's event, and I bet they will bring you a sample if you say please. ;) The Flood product you are speaking of is called Supreme Performance.

We have never done a dock, there are not many around us, so I can't offer much help as to what stands up under those conditions.

Beth

Sikkens Cetal Deck is great for splinters and you need to recoat but it does peel over time with the water.

Brian Wendling

Rolling Suds

I use Baker's Gray Away on docks all the time and i do get at least 2 years here in the HOT Texas sun.It's a semi transparent stain so it won't cover the splinters as good as like a solid stain.I would say replacing a few of the bad boards is your best bet.

Here is nice project i had a while back and it's a dock i've been maintaining for a while.As you can see the P/washing marks that the painters had done from using no chemicals.:rolleyes:

pwashermarks2kh1.jpg

crispdockb4yo9.jpg

crispdockafter1mn3.jpg

crispdockafter4sy1.jpg

crispdockafter3ck6.jpg

crispdockafter2hj7.jpg

oilboomrc2.jpg

Sikkens Cetal Deck is great for splinters and you need to recoat but it does peel over time with the water.

Brian Wendling

Rolling Suds

Why would you want to use a stain that peels and cracks like most film formers?

what is that last picture of? Is that some sort of stain recovery tool for stain that finds it's way into the water?

Yes the booms are connected together and I use some fishing weights to weigh them down.The sheets of the same material are hooked up to PVC pipe by a clamp and dragged thru the water to soak it up.

Hey Shane,

Thanks for the pix, nice work....Bakers gray? Where can I find some info on it? Would you use it on old weathered wood? Looking forward to hearing more about it. Thanks for taking the time sending the pictures.

Looks like you care about the results in your work. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank again!

Chris Detter / RE/MAX

Hey Shane,

Thanks for the pix, nice work....Bakers gray? Where can I find some info on it? Would you use it on old weathered wood? Looking forward to hearing more about it. Thanks for taking the time sending the pictures.

Looks like you care about the results in your work. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank again!

Chris Detter / RE/MAX

No problem Chris i have quite a few pics here on the TGS in the scrap book section decks ,arbors,fences, cedar houses.The Gray Away is a product we've been using since 1990 and has been as consistant as day 1.It's a Amteco product so it's a very reliable formulated stain.It does great on older decks but won't cover the splinters like a more solid stain.

Feel free to call me anytime Chris.

Here is another dock with Gray Away Slate Grey. It's not as splintered some match stick decks i see but this color holds up real good in 100% sun.

b4aftertaupe2fd5.jpg

b4aftertaupe1copyrr1.jpg

b4taupe3ck2.jpg

That grey dock is still my favorite pic you've posted.....beautiful color.

Thanks Jon.... So all the other pics you were just making me feel good then! :lgwave:

Hi Chris,

As you used to use Extreme, you are familar with how well it worked over water and as a "splinter proofer". Floods' Spa and Deck is an exceptable substitue for maintaining any deck where Extreme was used. Flood has done their homework on Spa and Deck and it holds up way better than the Extreme ever did. It is a two part application, and that is where it makes the difference. The base coat actually goes on damp wood (it is recommmended and prefered). The wood should be left in an alkaline state. The top coat goes on dry and can be maintenanced easly just like we used to maintain Extreme. Floods' Supreme Preformance is not recommended for use where spinters are occuring as it penetrates way more than what Spa and Deck does and isn't as effective at coating the wood fibers. It is a VERY durable finish, but the "coating" is too thin to be though of as a "splinter proof" finish. Spa and Deck is much better for that. Hope all is well. Take care.