Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

What are these guys up to?

I 've been w/ SM for a good while now and they have made $ for me. Not the best vehicle, i'll agree ( for all the SM haters), but, combined w/ all of my other methods they do produce leads.

That said, why have they raised their rate for leads, and why are their sales reps calling and offering contractor referral $ to me? Why are they copying and pasting some of my own text ads in other sources of ads. and asking if I would like to become a service contractor member not knowing that I already am via email. Do they actually communicate w/ each other ( ROLLING EYES )?

Anybody else having tech dif's w/ SM?

I LOVE MY XJEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Adrian,

Where did you see your stuff cut & pasted?

We got an increase as well but we've done so well with them ROI wise I can't complain. I am so thankful of their web placement on ads! My service magic profile comes up far far higher than my own site - for now at least :)

Celeste

yea, same here, but I ran one of those free Craigs list ads in their service section. A SM rep from Colorado responded to email with copied heading and asked me to become a member.

I like them fine, but they seem to be chasing their tail alot lately.

I just wonder if they are hurting or something to get us to recruit other contractors. I don't have time to work for them.

wow, that was quick.... i just found their site, filled in some info & entered a "request" for some deck work, cleaning, washing, staining, etc in my area just to see who may be around (competition wise)... then filled out a "pro services" application for consideration...

it wasn't but about 6 minutes, 5 various e-mails about my requests & a phone call to my cell from a rep in colorado responding to my inquiry. he was professional, offered info their service & options that were available... he said that there had only been 1 recent inquiry here in the 2 counties i was interested in.. i don't like somebody to glaze the donut either....

told him i wanted to do some more research & that i wasn't ready (due to our mountain weather here) to use them yet. he said ok & would call me back in 2 weeks... then i got an email to confirm resched. w/in 3 minutes.... don't know if it's something to use, but he was quick to respond (maybe not much else going on there..??) & he was wasn't pushy about why to sign up NOWWWW!!!

will continue to read the posts here & learn what others have to say regarding this potential avenue.... thanks for all the great posts & advice .....

wow, that was quick.... i just found their site, filled in some info & entered a "request" for some deck work, cleaning, washing, staining, etc in my area just to see who may be around (competition wise)... then filled out a "pro services" application for consideration...

it wasn't but about 6 minutes, 5 various e-mails about my requests & a phone call to my cell from a rep in colorado responding to my inquiry. he was professional, offered info their service & options that were available... he said that there had only been 1 recent inquiry here in the 2 counties i was interested in.. i don't like somebody to glaze the donut either....

told him i wanted to do some more research & that i wasn't ready (due to our mountain weather here) to use them yet. he said ok & would call me back in 2 weeks... then i got an email to confirm resched. w/in 3 minutes.... don't know if it's something to use, but he was quick to respond (maybe not much else going on there..??) & he was wasn't pushy about why to sign up NOWWWW!!!

will continue to read the posts here & learn what others have to say regarding this potential avenue.... thanks for all the great posts & advice .....

Lets see if you think their pushy two weeks from now. What he meant to say instead of "I'll call you in two weeks" was "I or another rep will call you everyday for the next two weeks", because that is what they do. Man I would of never gave them your cell number. Once I decided I wasn't interested anymore, I had to get crappy with them for them to stop calling me. Just my experience

If you filled out a request for work to be done (to check out the competition) then you just cost some contractors $12 for a bogus lead.

I 've been w/ SM for a good while now and they have made $ for me. Not the best vehicle, i'll agree ( for all the SM haters), but, combined w/ all of my other methods they do produce leads.

That said, why have they raised their rate for leads, and why are their sales reps calling and offering contractor referral $ to me? Why are they copying and pasting some of my own text ads in other sources of ads. and asking if I would like to become a service contractor member not knowing that I already am via email. Do they actually communicate w/ each other ( ROLLING EYES )?

Anybody else having tech dif's w/ SM?

I LOVE MY XJEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Hey Adrain,

Hope Texas is treating you well. I noticed the price increase as well. I got an email from them a few weeks ago asking if I was qualified to do fence building. Email said they had several thousand requests for fence building and many of the leads went unfilled.

Mike

If you filled out a request for work to be done (to check out the competition) then you just cost some contractors $12 for a bogus lead.

Actually, there were probably 2 or 3 contractors that got the lead - which is now up to $15. As a long-time SM contractor, I am only charged if I accept the lead (though as a "preferred" contractor, I get leads that bypass the usual bid process.) Newer contractors don't have the option and must pay for every lead - up to a pre-determined monthly limit.

I must say that I have been very pleased with the quality and quantity of SM leads over the last 4 years, but it kills me that they keep going up. (I started at $5 per lead!)

Actually, there were probably 2 or 3 contractors that got the lead - which is now up to $15. As a long-time SM contractor, I am only charged if I accept the lead (though as a "preferred" contractor, I get leads that bypass the usual bid process.) Newer contractors don't have the option and must pay for every lead - up to a pre-determined monthly limit.

I must say that I have been very pleased with the quality and quantity of SM leads over the last 4 years, but it kills me that they keep going up. (I started at $5 per lead!)

Yes, thats why I said some contractors. Typical 3 get the lead. I've been with them for close to 2 years so I pay the fee regardless. Which fee is $15? Power washing leads are now $12. Are you talking about for staining?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yea the lone star is the place for me. Just need to dig in and get the name loopin.....

I got the same email, but ironically already am listed for fences.

Man, did I ever thank you for the Maghee resi..... If I didn't , I meant to. So much was going on during the move and shutting things down.

Thanks a million. I hope I can return the favor someday. Still getting alot of calls that I am subbing in Ga. I should just sell my customer list.

Thanks again.

I love my deeeeeecksterrrrr

Hi Mike,

Yea the lone star is the place for me. Just need to dig in and get the name loopin.....

I got the same email, but ironically already am listed for fences.

Man, did I ever thank you for the Maghee resi..... If I didn't , I meant to. So much was going on during the move and shutting things down.

Thanks a million. I hope I can return the favor someday. Still getting alot of calls that I am subbing in Ga. I should just sell my customer list.

Thanks again.

I love my deeeeeecksterrrrr

Hey Adrian,

You're welcome. I was glad to know someone in her area that I could refer her too. If you get any leads in my area send them on over. Take care.

Mike

hey Barry, thanks for bringing that up & . You're probably right & i'll have to handle it when it happens. Sometimes it's pay your $, roll the dice w/ the rep. that gets your account. I'm guessing their trained that way, but i've dealt w/ difficult & persistent salespeople before... beating objections, open ended ??'s about MY business & so on.... I appreciate your experience & response, i just thought i set up my situation pretty well & i'll continue to learn from it...

Mike...as far as the "request", that was a mistake & I didn't realize the reprecussions to another contractor. I surely didn't mean to cause a finacial loss to anyone & i can only hope that because they are so far from here, that it's not a feasible job to pursue. If they do, i will personally apologize & make ammends. Golden rule definitely applies here.

As far as S/M is concerned, i guess i will continue to read the mixed reviews on them & make decisions according to the feel i get from my rep. & if he respects my goals & advertising plan/budget. Caller id may come into play here. we're all looking for an edge & ways to maximize traffic/calls, yet mimimize expenses. That's the power of TGS...

Again, thanks to those that took time to enlighten me & hope that others' may learn from this as well....

The 1 contractor that did get my lead, as it turns out, not only builds decks, but they do window replacement as well.... we have 4 (20yr/o) windows that are not very efficient & need to be replaced... wife also wants a larger window in our living room for a better view of the yard, so they are calling back in march when they have another job in the area... might be a good chance to maintain what he builds, & he can repair/replace what i can't.... all may turn out ok....

Yes, thats why I said some contractors. Typical 3 get the lead. I've been with them for close to 2 years so I pay the fee regardless. Which fee is $15? Power washing leads are now $12. Are you talking about for staining?

Mike

About a month or two ago pw leads went to $15 - for me at least.

Keep in mind that the leads exact match & market match.

Hey Mr. Orr,

How long do you have to be a member before you can select only the leads you want?

Hey David, good to see a home boy. Im originally from Banner elk. Since I got into this business I wish I had stayed up there, except that I can work year round here.

I havnt received anything from SM about price increases, only the fence install stuff. Although the leads have slowed down, I still get a large portion of my bus from those leads with a higher closing ratio than any other source. (Hope nobody local is reading this.) well worth the money. But every area is different.

About a month or two ago pw leads went to $15 - for me at least.

I wonder why they are different. Maybe they charge a different scale for your leads since you don't have to accept the lead.

Mike

Keep in mind that the leads exact match & market match.

Hey Mr. Orr,

How long do you have to be a member before you can select only the leads you want?

market match = $12

exact match is 1.5 times market match rate = $18