Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Artillary Fungus

Question

We went to a house today to do some brick cleaning and were approached by the homeowner to clean the black spots off of the house. Cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and no change. We called off the job temporarily until we can get some advise from some posts and do some research. In the meantime, we have found that these little nasty spots are artillary fungus and according to one chemical place, there is nothing that will clean the stuff. Has anyone else run into this and did you find something that will take these spots off?

9 answers to this question

If they are fresh (1-2 weeks old) they will come off with hot water.

After that it's strictly hand rubbing to get them off.

If you find something that removes it, please share it.

Sad to say it's true. Artillery fungus doesn't come off. But look at the bright side, next time you'll know what it is ahead of time. Over the years we have found it's best to say that a house wash will remove mold, mildew and algae.

There is an article about the fungus here:

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195

Beth

So far all I have found is a company that claims to have a chemical that will remove (obviously I have not tried it yet!) Site is www.protekchemical.com and the stuff is $95.00 for 2 gallons - supposed to mix at 10:1. They even have a link on the site about the nasty spots. Local company here says chemists can't find a way so I'm skeptical. Also found a p/w company out of New York that says that they can clean it. Here is a quote from their site: "The positive aspect is that it can usually be removed with the proper detergent and cleaning equipment. Hot water pressure washing coupled with light hand agitation with a slightly abrasive scotch brite pad will usually do the job. " I plan to call them and see what their proper detergent is.

I'm so aggravated!

Just readin this thread I came upon. Most do not know this and I thought I would share it. Artillery Fungus is a terrible thing. #1, It cannot be removed once it has hit the surface and allowed to dry. #2, Artillery Fungus will stay on siding for up to 10 years before actual chems/pw will have a chance to remove it. #3, Artillery fungus is derived from non-organic mulch. When we come upon a home with this we explain this to the customer that this fungus cannot be removed. We explain where it originates from and recommend replacing mulch to an organic variety.

It is a fungus in the mulch that acts much like a flower. What happens is this fungus (smaller than you can see) opens up its bud and shoots this fungus out. Once this hits a surface it is there for up to 10 years. This is why it is called artillery fungus.

Needless to say, explain this to your customers and stop wasting your valuable time trying to remove it. You can remove it with a knife and sometimes with your finger nail but this will result in a tiny brown spot still to be recokend with. This brown spot will be there for a very long time.

Hope this helps in the understanding of this unpleasurable fungus. But remember, the only thing you can do is educate your customer and of course change your mulch at home.

Correction: Switch to non-organic mulch from the organic. Losin my mind

Sorry for the spellin

Oh and if anybody wondered how a came across this thread. Well, I did a search for (brick) and this is what I got. Come on Beth, your slacken. The specific thread I am looking for is one that Paul B. allowed us the pleasure of viewing mortar tags etc.. (Photos) can someone help me find this thing. Losin my mind.

this is caused by using low quality mulch and i havent seen anything that takes it off. if u find something that takes it off u will notice that the paint will come off with it. it is also known as shotgun fungus

We printed a lot of information about the fungus and provided it to the homeowner, told them we were sorry but we couldn't help them. We have also contacted most of our builders that were using mulch and they are all switching to pine straw now...amazing what education will do.

Thanks for all of the responses.