Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

Collecting after the job.

Question

How long do you give your customers to pay after you complete a resi job?

Most people are not home when we complete the jobs. Do any of you tell the customer to leave a check or something? Just curious.

13 answers to this question

Residential day of services by check or CC. Commercial Net 30

I'm trying to get away from the 30 day net.They get 15 days now and with late charges added if payment isn't received on time.

I'm fed up with financing their business and then they don't even have the courtesy to pay on time.

I wonder how they would react if I order a steak dinner and drinks,then when the bill comes I tell them "I'll pay you in 30 days,but I might lose the bill,so just to be safe wait at least 45 days before you call to collect."

I'm trying to get away from the 30 day net.They get 15 days now and with late charges added if payment isn't received on time.

I'm fed up with financing their business and then they don't even have the courtesy to pay on time.

I wonder how they would react if I order a steak dinner and drinks,then when the bill comes I tell them "I'll pay you in 30 days,but I might lose the bill,so just to be safe wait at least 45 days before you call to collect."

Hear hear!! I'm waiting for payment from a major restaurant franchise on a graff removal that was ordered removed by bylaw enforcement. Saved them a $2000.00/day fine but can they pay a lousy $200.00 bill within 30 days? Nope.

From now on unless I know the customer(commercial or otherwise)they pay same day. I am fed up with financing deadbeat businesses.

Tru dat.... We have a large builder that now just ask'd for a net 45 and a 15% discount from all of their contractors. We got by with keeping the net 30 but had to give up 10%

How long do you give your customers to pay after you complete a resi job?

Most people are not home when we complete the jobs. Do any of you tell the customer to leave a check or something? Just curious.

When I speak to the customer beforehand, I tell them I'll leave a bill and ask if they'll just drop a check in the mail the next day (if they're not going to be at home). I don't like to ask for a check to be left, unless it is a repeat customer who knows me. I want them to be satisfied that the job is done to their expectations (or beyond) before they write the check.

Usually the check arrives within a few days...every once in a while it takes a bit longer, and I've had a few go 2-3 weeks...one guy left town and forgot to pay...gave me a $25.00 bonus when he got back 3 weeks later.

I noticed earlier this year that I had a LOT more slow payers...but that's more or less stopped.

If things are particularly tight, I'll leave a note on the bill that I'll be back later that evening to collect a check, but I don't often need to do that.

When I speak to the customer beforehand, I tell them I'll leave a bill and ask if they'll just drop a check in the mail the next day (if they're not going to be at home). I don't like to ask for a check to be left, unless it is a repeat customer who knows me. I want them to be satisfied that the job is done to their expectations (or beyond) before they write the check.

Usually the check arrives within a few days...every once in a while it takes a bit longer, and I've had a few go 2-3 weeks...one guy left town and forgot to pay...gave me a $25.00 bonus when he got back 3 weeks later.

I noticed earlier this year that I had a LOT more slow payers...but that's more or less stopped.

If things are particularly tight, I'll leave a note on the bill that I'll be back later that evening to collect a check, but I don't often need to do that.

This is how I handle residentials as well. So far it hasn't been a problem. I think customers like that I don't require them to leave a check somewhere adn they get to view my work before payment. I leave them a stamped envelope with the invoice if they are not home.

Mike

I dont really mind leaving a invoice in a res door. I only once got burnt for $150 and I have had a couple slow pays but 99.9% of the time I get a check in the mail within a week or so

Commercial I usually get within 2 weeks of completion, unless otherwise stated. I have a lot of PM's that are very busy and once in a while I'll call or email them if a check is more than a couple weeks late

I dont really mind leaving a invoice in a res door. I only once got burnt for $150 and I have had a couple slow pays but 99.9% of the time I get a check in the mail within a week or so

Commercial I usually get within 2 weeks of completion, unless otherwise stated. I have a lot of PM's that are very busy and once in a while I'll call or email them if a check is more than a couple weeks late

I don't do nearly the commercial stuff you do, but even with my commercial accounts, I'm paid within a couple weeks...Burger King usually pays withing 3 days..I fax the invoice over Monday, I have a check by Thursday. It does help that most of my HOA/Condo stuff is from the company I used to be employed by, and still do accounting and apartment management projects for...I can walk in with an invoice and ask for a check no problem, most of the time.

I've only been stiffed once, and that was a slimeball trying to blame me for damaging his boat and get a free roof cleaning. I just let it go after a few letters. Not worth the hassle. But I'm not going to let one dirtbag ruin it for all my customers.

Mike how have you been, havent seen much of you out here. Hows the family?

I've just been busy with all kinds of things...washing is slow, so I'm doing quite a bit of property management/accounting work to fill in the gaps, which means I'm not on here as much. This has been a TERRIBLE winter for business!!!

Michael is getting big! 17 months and a few days...time flies, but it's great! I wouldn't trade my life for anything, despite the ups and downs of business and finances and all that stuff. As long as the three of us are healthy and happy, then life is great!!!