Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

How do you like your Turkey?

Do you fry, roast, or smoke your Thanksgiving turkey?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fry, roast, or smoke your Thanksgiving turkey?

• Fry it! Don't knock it till you try it!
    • You kidding? We roast it!
    • Smoke it! Love that smokey flavor!

Question

It's that time of year again folks. It's turkey time. Over the past few years we have seen a number of stores begin to offer turkey fryers. Our family has been frying turkey for a long time. I was wondering who else has made the switch from oven roasting to deep frying?

Never heard of it? As I understand it, it began as a Cajun tradition in Louisianna. (according to Dad) Turkeys are fried in peanut oil. In many cases they are infused with a marianade, although it is not required. I can tell you I have found first hand the flavor is better and the bird is juicier, and since you fry them at a high temp, they are not the slightest bit greasy...

Fry or roast? Don't forget to VOTE.... Enjoy!

Beth;)

89 answers to this question

The only problem I have with frying em' is what to do with the oil after you cook em'

What does everyone else do with it?

I strain it and save it with the foolish idea that I'll reuse it before it goes bad. Which I never do....

A few notes about safety when frying. NEVER fry too big a bird. I did that one year (it's just a little too much...) and when I dunked it into the oil, the body cavity created an instant boiling oil eruption. It's only thick mitts, fast reflexes, and a healthy dose of luck that saved me from a really severe burn. The resulting fire was spectacular and frightening, but did little more than ruin the pot and kill alot of grass. My wife's boss was not so lucky. Same situation and he now looks like a patchwork quilt from all the grafting. He's not melanin deficient like me, so it's particularly noticible with all the different shades and skin tones that make up his hands, arms, belly, neck, upper legs, etc.

Also, the fryers are quite top heavy. Stabilize and secure them to prevent tipping. I screw mine to an old pallet that also serves to catch the spatter.

I like it best cold, the next day, in between 2 slices of bread with some velvetta and miracle whip! (you can also add some left over gravy if you have any) :)

I would love to fry a bird but every year I make a Turducken which is a boneless chicken, stuffed inside a boneless duck then they both get stuffed into a boneless turkey.We experiment with the stuffing every year. It takes 10hours to cook it and about another another hour to de-bone everything, Well worth the time.

another hour to de-bone everything, Well worth the time.

My Turduckens are already boneless except for the wings but you still have bones in yours?

We're frying like 6 or 7 turkeys for different people :cool:

Shane

I dont buy them pre made. I buy the birds seperate and debone and put together myself. This year we are using a duck I shot and a chicken from our own little flock, We bought the turkey though.

Shane

I dont buy them pre made. I buy the birds seperate and debone and put together myself. This year we are using a duck I shot and a chicken from our own little flock, We bought the turkey though.

Ahh i see... if you gonna make a stuffing for that turducken make one using rice for the stuffing..like a cajun dirty rice mix or i like crawfish etouffee or shrimp etouffee that is real easy to make

I'm cajun so everything rice for me ..:lglolly:

We were going to have a turkey frying party - but it just didn't get organized. Also it is pouring here....

But you can't beat frying!

I've got to inject that bird in a while here....

Beth :cool:

That's a bummer ya'll getting rain and i see the rain is gonna be around there for a while huh?

I like making my own seasoning for injecting it's ancient Cajun secret ;)

That sounds real good Shane,real good I love shrimp etoufee and boiled crawfish as well. I might have to find a recipe for that.

Call me anytime and i'll tell you how to make it the real authentic way and it's soo easy!

You can substitute shrimp for crawfish

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 stick margarine
  • 1 lb. peeled crawfish/shrimp tails
  • 1 med. onion chopped
  • 2 ribs celery chopped
  • 1/2 bell pepper chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp. parsley chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. green onion tops chopped
  • Cooked rice

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cook crawfish in pot for 2-3 minutes.
  2. Remove crawfish and add onion, celery, bell pepper, and seasonings.
  3. Saute for 10 minutes.
  4. Return crawfish tails to pan and add chicken broth.
  5. Stir and cook slowly, covered, for about 40 minutes.
  6. Serve on hot rice and sprinkle with parsely and onion tops.
  7. Serves 4. Freezes well.

PLEASE Do not use tomato sauce or paste that will make it a creole not an etouffee.

Here is a link to some other cajun recipies...http://www.louisianafishfry.com/recipes.php