Sign in to follow this  
John T

Powerwashing in the winter

Question

Just another cold day here. This picture was taken today of my truck and trailer. Last week when the ice storm hit here there was alot more ice around this truck.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to powerwash some commercial flatwork before this store opens or after it closes and the way things are looking its still going to be to cold. Hopefully the'll let me do the store Tuesday or Wed nite where its supposed to be a little warmer..

17 answers to this question

I feel for you John. I grew up north of Chicago. Nasty winters. Been in Georgia nearly 20 years now. I'm still new to the business but I continue to do work year round. It's in the 60's here today. Hope things warm up for you.

I love Arizona.

Allright rub it in Ron..err I mean Scott. These Arizona guys like to break chops about the weather this time of year.

You'll get yours in the summer with the 117 degrees and the sneakers melting all the time..I should open up a sneaker business in Arizona in the summer and make a small fortune:)

Just another cold day here. This picture was taken today of my truck and trailer. Last week when the ice storm hit here there was alot more ice around this truck.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to powerwash some commercial flatwork before this store opens or after it closes and the way things are looking its still going to be to cold. Hopefully the'll let me do the store Tuesday or Wed nite where its supposed to be a little warmer..

John

That looks cold - I did a job in Atlanta last week end when we packed up at 11 AM (when the resturant opened) it warmed up to 24 degrees. When using a wand the hot water froze within seconds. I was worried that they might not be able to open but when I used my floor cleaning tool with hot water and my Clean and Recovery rig the ice was gone and it was bone dry - no ice could form as there was no water on the ground. Now the only thing from keeping me from working will be me getting too cold and getting out of bed on those cold days of course....

John

That looks cold - I did a job in Atlanta last week end when we packed up at 11 AM (when the resturant opened) it warmed up to 24 degrees. When using a wand the hot water froze within seconds. I was worried that they might not be able to open but when I used my floor cleaning tool with hot water and my Clean and Recovery rig the ice was gone and it was bone dry - no ice could form as there was no water on the ground. Now the only thing from keeping me from working will be me getting too cold and getting out of bed on those cold days of course....

Yup I heard stories like that when the water is getting reclaimed because there is just about no water left on the surface because its getting vacuumed up it dries within minutes..I'll know more about this next winter:)

Allright rub it in Ron..err I mean Scott. These Arizona guys like to break chops about the weather this time of year.

You'll get yours in the summer with the 117 degrees and the sneakers melting all the time..I should open up a sneaker business in Arizona in the summer and make a small fortune:)

\

ABout twenty years ago I worked for a utility in their salvage yard. We were in a record heat wave. 3 days of 120 degree plus temps, and I was working outside. I got a drink every 15 minutes and never relieved myself. I had to wear boots. I had just bought boots the week before, and they were literally worn out from the heat and salt from sweat at the end of the week.

Yup I heard stories like that when the water is getting reclaimed because there is just about no water left on the surface because its getting vacuumed up it dries within minutes..I'll know more about this next winter:)

And I have had that happen a few times myself.

With this technology now working so well I wonder if the guys and gals up North will still be taking 3 odd months off every winter just because of the ice on the ground. In 4 years that means they spent a year waiting for warm weather - I know traditionally that time was for vacation, marketing/planning and RT's....but the bills still have to be paid!

I did a demo at the STL. RT this weekend with my Clean and Recovery rig - it went well and the Comfort Inn got a free cleaning out of it. All in all it was a great RT and I really learnt a lot - thanks Don.

Rob

It isn't just about water freezing on the ground,but in the equipment or tanks bewteen job sites.

I do have a question for those with all of the latest bell and whistles in vac recovery and water re-use.I keep hearing how much faster,efficient... blah...blah...blah so "I don't have to charge a premium price."

How exactly do you figure you shouldn't charge what the job is worth?

It isn't just about water freezing on the ground,but in the equipment or tanks bewteen job sites.

I do have a question for those with all of the latest bell and whistles in vac recovery and water re-use.I keep hearing how much faster,efficient... blah...blah...blah so "I don't have to charge a premium price."

How exactly do you figure you shouldn't charge what the job is worth?

No you should always charge what the job is worth even more if you can get it. In most cases even though you may have recovery equipment it doesn't neccessarily mean you'll get more money for the job. You May get more jobs because you can recover. The other thing is that if you have some of the technology such as bigger machines and less water to push around you may be able to cut a substantial amount of time off a job so per hour wise you can make alot more money even though per Sq' price may be the same. Thats the principle as I see it. Also doing Demo's in the commercial market and educating your customer may also help to land more jobs.

No you should always charge what the job is worth even more if you can get it. In most cases even though you may have recovery equipment it doesn't neccessarily mean you'll get more money for the job. You May get more jobs because you can recover. The other thing is that if you have some of the technology such as bigger machines and less water to push around you may be able to cut a substantial amount of time off a job so per hour wise you can make alot more money even though per Sq' price may be the same. Thats the principle as I see it. Also doing Demo's in the commercial market and educating your customer may also help to land more jobs.

I'm glad someone else see it my way.

Scott,

The Flip side to all of this is that some people charge by the hour and if there getting $200+ an hour because of there technology but it works out to lets say only 3-4 cents per square foot I can't knock them because they have the ability to make a ton even though its less per sq ft.

I guess it comes down to if someone said Scott try this machine out to clean 100,000 SQ ft and you can make $300/hr doing it at 3 cents per sq. it doesnt make you a lowballer because of that. Its all about Volume and how much can you handle and how fast along with doing a good job.

Its Semantics at its finest..With considering the fact that the job always come out nice.Now if someone is doing a half assed job at 3 cents an hour then in my book that would be considered a low baller. Its all in the numbers game and if your making big dough and your doing a good job(That is a must) and you have a crew and the technology etc. you may be able to charge a little less per sq' but your making a ton more money. This I wouldn't say is Lowballing. This I would say is an established operation that most can't attain. I haven't yet thats for sure.

JohnT,

It's those who will (and I say "WILL" because it's going to happen) bid everything they do at $.01 sq ft because of their equipment.It lowers the standard for everyone and it will give property owners a false expectation that all companies should match those prices.

JohnT,

It's those who will (and I say "WILL" because it's going to happen) bid everything they do at $.01 sq ft because of their equipment.It lowers the standard for everyone and it will give property owners a false expectation that all companies should match those prices.

I agree with that. I can see a large company having the ability to price some large commercial jobs lower but to go way to low that is wrong and I would always believe that. It should be a fair playing field and may the best company win.

Here's a point you Scott may find interesting. I was never a fan of reclaiming. I am not one of those politically correct guys. Never will be. I fertilize the heck out of my lawn and on occasion smoke a cigar on my deck with the knowledge that the smoke is bad for me and the atmosphere. Sounds minute(small) but put a few millions of me's together and that is where the political correct ones start getting there hairs up.

I'd be one of the first ones to tell you that I;m not looking into reclaiming to be the guy that is saving the US drinking water. Maybe when I get older and wiser I'll think like that but for now that is not my reason. Somebody about two months ago gave me my reason but they put it much more eloquently..When I was explaining why I was looking into the reclaiming they came back with what I'm doing was staying ahead of that "Curve" thats out there in this field or maybe even in life. That is why I got into reclaiming which is to stay ahead or on top of that curve. Can you understand that logic?? I'm probably not making myself clear but I am also not a college graduate. This other person made my thinking clearer the way he explained what I was thinking.

Scott

I reclaim because its faster - if I can do the same job in 1/2 the time I just increased my profit. We are all here for profit and at 1 cent per square foot there is not a whole lot of profit. If the PM will pay 8 cents per sqft I am trying for 10c per sqft. If you can justifty to him why 10 cents is the number you can get it or at least have the budget changed for next go round.

There was a question about equipment freezing protection between jobs - and tanks freezing - my equipment (pumps, heater box, unloader and hi pressure hose) has an antifreeze system. I vacuum dry my garden hose and my fresh tank is heated. I try keep my black water tank empty (200 deg hot water that has been reclaimed) and this tank shares a dividing wall with my heated fresh water water tank. You are in Sylvester GA I will gladly meet you anytime somewhere and give you a demo and show you my Clean and Recovery rig.

Rob