Sign in to follow this  
itswillist

Truck units or Trailers ?

Question

Hey Hey, I'm thinking of making a second unit.. Trying to decide if I should rig out a truck (with burner unit in bed) or a trailer ... I know for some of these lil. homes with narrow driveways and ditches on both sides it would be much easier to have just a truck... Before I get started on this thing I just wanted to get some input..... ???

22 answers to this question

The only problem I see with a truck mounted set up is if the truck is down the whole thing is down. If it is on a trailer then you can always hook it up to another truck. But if you mount it on a good dependable truck the convienence of not having a trailer may be better. Also if you don't work on your own equipment and the maching needed to be work on at your dealer, you may have to leave the truck with them.

I'm in the same position. I would love to have a box truck, but I don't think they'll fit in a parking garage. I'm leaning toward a stake body open 12 ft bed, that'll hold a 500 gal tank and an 8gpm mach, but security is an issue. I need the accounts first then I'll decide.

Yeah, I was thinking about making a skid that mounts onto the bed with clamps and having a hoist system to take it off with if I want to put it on a trailer for some reason or just have an open bed on my truck .. I'm leaning more and more with this idea... This way if the truck does need maintenance I can just place the system elsewhere on a trailer or what have you untill the truck is running again ....

Another problem of mine, with parking garages, is the twisty/turny tight spaces they create. I barely maneuver my 10 ft trailer in them, I couldn't imagine a 12ftx6ft, it just wouldn't happen. As far as residential, I also get in tight spaces in TH communities and cul de sacs. A flat bed or a box truck is the way to go. If the truck breaks down, big deal, I know alot of mechanics, there's not much that cannot be fixed in 3-4 days, which is a long weekend.

I have a 12 x 8.5 open trailer. There are not a lot of places that I cannot get it, and I have never had a parking garage that I could not get it in. So, That is my preference.

You guys need to get with the sprinter van scene.

We have a Hydrotek 2 gun system and a 225 gal tank inside the van with room to spare and enough headroom to walk around in.

My crew loves it and it is very maneuverable, more so than compared to a truck or box truck.

They run on diesel and come standard with a mercedes benz inline 5 cylinder turbo diesel (newer ones are coming out with a v-6 turbo diesel) and can carry up to 3800lbs (180W.B. version) while others with the higher cargo height and extended cargo bays can carry over 4200lbs. Some come as duallies too!

This site shows the latest versions.

Freightliner Sprinter:*Home

The towing packages on them are pretty hefty too.

Rod!~

A sprinter would be nice. I currently have a truck setup. There is barely enough room for my equipment now. I would like a trailer, but don't have room in the driveway for it right now. The downside to a truck setup is if it breaks down, you have to get it fixed fast! Time is money. With A trailer, I have access to other vehicles to tow it with.

i like the van concept as you can store your equipment safely. a truck will hold everything too but if you have to drive to the parts or supply store then your equipment is exposed while you shop. if you go with a trailer i like the enclosed type. but, if you're carring chems then the open trailer sure will vent better.

rando

I prefer the trailer setup.

I have three cargo trailers 18' bumper pull 28' gooseneck 32' gooseneck.

Trailer is the only way for me, I can unhook them and go do something else with the truck.

I know you can't get these into parking garage. Just stretch some more hose. On the 2 bigger trailers we have 1000' of pressure hose.

I like the sprinter van - looks like it costs a mint though. Still not sold on buying new vehicles for my contracting business. Usually I let 'high-line' contractors buy the vehicles new, and then I take them off their hands for a song after they are like 7-8 years old with still lots of life in them.

I love the sprinter vans, my buddy has one with dually wheels, i'm not sure if they would fit in a garage, but it's a fact that a 12x8.5 trailer would never fit in a garage in Baltimore, the turnstyles are only 8ft wide, my truck and 5ft wide trailer have to hop the curb to fit. Last summer I subbed out Lou Beach to help me and his 6ft wide trailer got stuck on the way out. We had to put in on a dolly and maneuver it out, it took an hour, after slaving for 10 hrs in a hot garage with 3 hot water machines churning in your ear, that sucked.

I like that they (sprinter vans) are very dependable.

We bought the nuts and bolts version because I didn't want any extras to add to costs or need repairs.

Here is another plus, when buying through Daimer/Chrysler corp. they have an option for skipping up to 3 months payments (they are figured on that basis too) which helps during the slower winter months. Yeah, the monthly is a little higher.

We had bulk heads installed to protect the outer walls from dings and dents occuring from cargo shift on the inside and I had the entire cargo area herculined (roof, sides and floor).

The pw'er sits at the back, the 225gal tank straddles the rear axle and the 3 stack hose reel sits behind the drivers seat mounted to the floor and wall. We bail out the hose from the side door and then start it up. All exhausts are directed out the back (additional pipes and venting) but it works great and still have 256 cubic ft left for other supplies.

Anyone going to Tom and Barbara's RT will be able to see it for ideas and questions.

Rod!~

The thing I don't like about a van is you will wear the scent of your chemicals and exhaust of your pressure washer. But if you run diesal fuel for your burner, that stuff really sticks to ya.

That's what I was thinking ??? Aparently I must be missing something.. Where does the burner go inside the van for the hot water units, what about the relief valve where the water is gushing out, what about when the hose reel O rings go out and the reels leak water, and all of the gas and diesel fumes, plus exaust ??? How could you run these type of units in an inclosed van ?????

Beth n Rod's is in the back so just open the doors, but my buddy who owns Classic Chimney has a huge air compressor for dryer vents and they used steel pipe welded to the exhaust pipe and routed it through the floor, no fumes. Seals malfunctioning on the hoses is another prob, but again Beth and Rod solved that by lining the interior with a waterproof bedliner. Very smart.

The thing I don't like about a van is you will wear the scent of your chemicals and exhaust of your pressure washer. But if you run diesal fuel for your burner, that stuff really sticks to ya.

I don't smell very pretty at the end of the day anyway so I don't mind. It all comes off in the shower. :)

Everything is vented out the back and the only time I have fuel smell inside the cargo area is when someone doesn't put the cap back on the spare gas container.

:headspin:

Anyway, the van is a suggestion. I have 2 other trucks, one of which has another Hydrotek unit mounted in it. Easy access is a good point to consider. In the van, I can reach most of what I need to for oil changes and filter cleaning/replacement. The tank is the biggest obstacle.

Rod!~

Hey Rod, you got any pics of that setup, that sounds sweet dude. I'm thinking of getting a van or sprinter or truck ...just can't decide which one.

Since I do KEC, one major thing that I consider is the "stink" factor....do the sprinters have a seperation barrier? or can it be ordered?

I'd love to see some pics of one setup though, if you don't mind. :)

Hmm, these vans sound pretty nice. I just love trucks though, Yesterday I did a job that required a good bit of stomping around in the mud.. When it was over my coveralls were filthy and my rubber boots were caked with mud.. so I took it all off threw it in the bed of the truck and went on my way !