Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

q? on sanders

Question

Ive read about using electric sanders on wood. My question is if using a random orbit sander, arent you still going to leave marks since it will at some time be going across the grain?

Wouldnt it be better to use a belt sander, or would you only use them for removing a lot of surface. Obviously most decks arent going to warrent using a drum sander, but may have a lot of sanding to do anyway.

6 answers to this question

Ken Fenner

Pressure Washing Philadelphia Main Line

DIY Deck Cleaner

A little knowlege can be a dangerous thing

Isnt that what the Junkies Do in Philly? now your just adding high pressure?

or are you pressure washing the main lining junkies?

Ive used a palm sander for rails, and in the past Ive used a belt sander when I wanted to sand 2 mills off a mahogany table I was refinishing, but it was very hard to control it and sand evenly.

Yeah its definitely hard to control on a deck until you get the hang of it.

If you have ever seen the old movie "The Philadelphia Story" (circa 1940 with Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart) that movie is about the rich blue bloods living on the Philly Main Line. Its an area that includes moderately wealthy upper middle class to families like DuPont worth billions.

We use DeWalt orbital sanders with 60-80grit for exterior wood. Some times you will get a flattened spring pattern if you have a splinter lodged in between the paper and the backing.

Many have contested the use of orbital sanding due to its cross grain cutting action which is known to produce an unnatural effect. For those who are into fine wood restoration (interior furniture), orbital sanding is used to remove to bullk of unwanted material and then a fine grit sanding along with the grain is used to produce the most natural finish possible before staining and applying a finish.

On exterior wood, the cross grain pattern is only slightly noticeable but keep in mind that when you are sanding wood, you need to leave the capillaries or pores as open as possible to accept a finish. Any finer than 80 grit and you literally close them up making penetration more shallow. Exterior wood needs to accept the product as deeply as possible to gain any reasonable duration expectation.

I have used up to 40 grit for grinding down raised grain and then followed with an 80 grit to smooth it out. If anyone complains about the cross grain pattern then you can point out the planing marks on the wood that leaves little ridges like waves in the wood surface too as it came from the mills. Neither is anything that will affect the woods integrity though. It is merely aesthetics.

Drum sanders are good for softwoods like cedar and redwood but on pt pine I find it is better to get out a planer, belt sander or grinder to remove the bulk of the material and somewhat flatten cupped boards. Minor cupping may remain but the appearance of the wood is far better than before.

I just don't like working while on my hands and knees (knee caps are shot!)

Rod!~

I use 80 grit with both a RO and a belt sander. The belt sander will remove a lot of material very quickly, which is great, once youlearn to control it. I've never had any problems with the RO.