Sign in to follow this  
gregative

Leaky guns!

I'll make this short. I have two leaky wands/guns. They were recently bought & started leaking within several days. I 2step so I assume the acid has eaten them up. I took one trigger apart to inspect the spring & bearing. Everything looks OK but I assume it's just not seating well. Are they worth repairing (ceramic bearings?) or just pay for better ones. If they are repairable how does one take apart the spring/bearing part. I tried to take a picture but the file was to big & it would take me forever to figure out how to reduce it. Any help/tips?

Greg,

Can not help you with the overhaul. I tried a couple of different guns including an "acid resistant" one and they all failed within a days use. I switched to using a plastic ball valve, but then I only apply acid with a diaphram pump (85psi)

Hugh,

They are leaky in that the gun does not shut completly off. No leak at the input, rather at the nozzel. At least that was my case.

The use of a X-Jet would keep your chems from going through your guns and equipment. It's all stainless steel so acids and alkalins don't destroy it. It also has great reach so you can reach the top of a semi with ease. Certainly should last longer than the guns you sound like you're going through often.

Leaks out the end of the nozzle. The rest of the line is fine. Checked the o-rings the other weak cause of a similiar problem & fixed it (leaky rings making by unloader cycle very often when in bypass). The trigger may be sticking but if so that would be fixed in the overhaul as well as the bearing. Any 2steppers out there to chime in. I know a lot of people downstream the HF.

I had picked up an extra backup gun to use for rinsing and had this issue from the start. I had gotten it at a Northern Tool while my wife was elsewhere shopping and when I took it back to them they said that they had a lot of the coming back in. May be a defect in the gun from the get go.

i also have a pressure washing service and i only use the suttner st1500 gun, they are relatively cheap. i run aluminum brightner and concrete acid through mine and they last for a long time. that is the only gun i sell also for generic pressure washing, really they are not worth rebuilding in my opinion, kits are half the cost of the gun plus the time to install.

Jeff

Steve, downstream still puts the chems through the hose/gun/wand.

Any possibility of debris in the ball/seat area? Sounds like a cartridge type valve. If sand or mulch or whatever gets in the hose or gun, the first smallest stop is the gun valve. Sometimes you can push the ball off the seat with a center punch or what have you and dislodge any trash in the valve.

Steve, downstream still puts the chems through the hose/gun/wand.

Any possibility of debris in the ball/seat area? Sounds like a cartridge type valve. If sand or mulch or whatever gets in the hose or gun, the first smallest stop is the gun valve. Sometimes you can push the ball off the seat with a center punch or what have you and dislodge any trash in the valve.

yup your right.I still carry the 5 gallon bucket and an x-jet.

Greg if the guns are leaking and wont shut off and they are new...ther is probably some debris stuck in the spring or on the seat where the ball rests. Check and see if a little debris is in there by taking off the cover or opening up the back. Remove the bolt or allen set screw and pull out the assembly and inspect it. It is also possible that the HF has eaten away the coating on the ball which will also cause it to leak, but that usually takes a month or two at the least. With the way you are washing they should be lasting at least 2-3 months. Give me a call if you have any questions.

Its supposed to be 50 here next week, ready for your refresher course? I could use the help catching up.

I would love to come back up sometime but I've got to pay for that equipment I bought (kidding). I'm really anxious about the educational seminar. I'm ordering a new 16' trailer this week to put the 2 hot water machines on. I wish the seminar was before I set the trailer up so I'd have that repair knoweledge before firing those things up. P.S. Does anyone know offhand what the footprint would be for a 500gal horizontal or square tank. I'm trying to prefigure how to set up my trailer & dimensions would help.

Steve, I do downstream. No leaks down the line just out the end of the nozzle. I've inspected the ball/spring in one gun & it looks ok. Gonna go dissect the other one right now. Paul, if the HF has eaten the coating can the bearing be replaced with ceramic or can I buy a bunch of the small assemblies and replace them as necessary?