Sign in to follow this  
Mark Williamson

Engine wont start, can you help?

Check and see if you have spark then see if when you crank it your plugs are wet. if it sat for a long time you probably need to go through the carb. if the plugs arent getting gas then most likely the float is stuck in the carb and wont let gas in.

Make sure you have fresh gasoline in it. Old gas will not sustain combustion. Check for spark as well. Also a little trick I use is to take the airfilter right off and put a drop or two of gas or starter fluid right into the carb. and give it a shot. But I can not emphasis enough, put fresh gas in it.

Shoot some starting fluid down the carb. If it kicks off, then dies, fuel flow is your most likely suspect. Sometimes just getting it it started once is all it will take.

When you turn the key on you should hear a small 'click' sound from the carburator. There is a fuel cutout switch on there that stops the fuel flow when the key is turned off. When those go no fuel. (I changed about 4 of those last year)

If you are not getting spark there is a diode that connects to the magneto and low oil cut out. Try disconnecting it form the magneto and see if that works. (had 3 of those last year)

Welcome to E-10 ethanol gas, did you put gas in since last May 06? If you mixed with MTBE gas you probably have sludge in your tank and carb. E-10 "scrubs the tank and all residue in the tank is emulsified. Also E-10 absorbs water.

I had to take it to a service center. I needed it right away with all the work thats coming in. Lets see... new solenoid, fuel pump, serviced carb. It cost me a little more money but I made it back the same day. Two washers going at the same time is paying off.

I was going to take my Honda in that is on my whitco machine for the same thing but found out that the switch had gotten wet.. This caused the cut off wire that shuts the machine off .... where it runs into the switch to rust.. I tried Cleaning it and nothing worked so I just put a regular switch on it. So now I have an ignition switch with a key.. and then a switch to cut the motor off.. Hmm They were going to load me up with a bunch of crap at the honda repair shop also.... They call it process of ripyouoffilumination....