Sign in to follow this  
John T

Current bb rankings on the net

Question

As of 12/1/03 the Top rated websites for Powerwashing bb's and there position rankings with all other Websites. Yahoo @ www.yahoo.com is #1 as the most popular website on the net

1-PWNA bb @ www.pwnabbs.org 96,190

2-Delco's old bb @ www.dcs1.com 245,602

3-The Grimescene @ www.thegrimescene.com 531,625

4- Powerwashnetwork(PWN) @ www.powerwashnetwork.com 697,844

5-The Cleanernetwork @ www.thecleanernetwork.com 885,598

6-Pressurewashinginstitute(***) @ www.pressurewashinginstitute.com 3,175,434

7-Deckguide @ www.deckguide.com 4,908,473

Congrats Beth on your bb moving way up on the list!!

29 answers to this question

Thanks John,

You guys are what make this BBS what it is, and you guys are why its successful. All we do is add features to it. It's about everyone adding content and help. Our users are what this BBS is all about.

You're the best!

Beth & Rod

Administrators

The thing to remember about searching the web is that keywords are very important. One person might search under pressure cleaning associations while another might search under power washing organizations, and a third may search for power washing forums, deck cleaning, kitchen exhaust school, or any number of things.

All sites have (or should have) META tags. These tags are transparent to the user, but critical to search engines. Engines index sites based upon the META data. This data can be made up of single words, or combinations of words. People who are new to the net and to searching will most likely use very simple search techniques with fewer words.

Boolean searching can also be done using 'and', 'or', 'but not' in the search statement. This will thin out the results and eliminate unwanted results to some degree. (example: pressure or power and washing)

If you load the Alexa.com toolbar and go to Yahoo, you'll see they are #1. Then go to MSN.com and you'll see they are #2. The number refers to the ranking of the site, not the number of hits it has gotten. Hit data, such as number of pages viewwed, entry pages, time online, number of visits per user, all of that is available (usually) through the host to the account holder specifically, but is not for public consumption. I doubt you'll find all the hit info online for any of the power washing sites. (but I could be wrong...)

When you perform a search (any search, it doesn't matter for the sake of discussion here) you recieve from that search a results list. The results list will say there are XXXXXXXXXXXXXX pages found matching your search criteria. The closer you are to the top of the list, the better your ranking is.

Alexa.com is basically doing just that. It's saying that out of all of the web sites on the net that have been indexed (and it does appear to be a rather large index) the rank of a given site is XXXXXX.

According to Alexa's tool bar, Yahoo does rank #1, and MSN does rank #2. The power washing BBS's listed above rank based upon the numbers to the right of the name of the listed site. Based upon the lowest number being the highest in rank with 1 being equal to the best, then PWNA does rank #1 among those sites listed above as it has the lowest rank number. The highest rank number is for the lowest placed site. Again this is not the same as various types of "click" statistics, and there are alot of those.

Beth :groovy3:

This ranking is by Alexa and they cycle thru it every 2 months?

Position ranking is very dynamic - folks spend mega-bucks to maintain at least top 5 ranking in their category. If you're in on-line retailing, losing a few positions could cost you $,$$$,$$$'s.

It's a three month cycle from what I understand. Now if your competition was millions of sites, then yes you would have to pay for your ranking I'm sure. But for our industry, there are not enough pages for it to be a huge issue. Personally, I feel any pressure washing site can be found off of free submissions provided they are properly submitted and have decent meta data and content.

So am I to understand that the rankings can be manipulated by $$$$?? I thought that it was an Honest Survey.

Is there a site out there that can give an Honest Survey as far as to what is the most popular websites??

John,

There is a difference between ranking by popularity and position.

Not including content, position (in majority of cases) is what helps to reach popularity. For example, when you do a search under "pressure washers", if you come up on top of the list, you have a tendency to have more people visit your site than if you were at the bottom of the page or on the second. If you are listed on the 10th page there is a small chance that anyone will open your site from there.

Different search engines have different methods of determining where you are positioned. Knowing their methods / rules can be very helpful. Some search engines position by submission while others use automated "spiders" that scan the site and "Meta Tags" to evaluate position. As new sites are submitted, based on where they end up being positioned will determine if your site stays in the same position or moves down. You can improve your position by refining and improve your "Meta Tag" data.

Wow,

You guys/gals are way to smart for me. I can't even pretend to understand the computer jargon that is going on here. Meta tags etc...

Now if you want to talk about negotiating contracts or how to raise money than we can talk. Computers...forget it!!

I just hate hearing what Beth said that these sites can be manipulated even though most likely the Powerwashing sites aren't. I only like sites that have INTEGRITY so with that being said I am a bit down on www.alexa.com

The way I understand it, Alexa gathers data from millions of web surfers who use their toolbar. The data is compiled and indexed based on how many hits each website got. We're not talking search engine ranking, but overall traffic. How many of Alexa's users went there, and how often. Why does MSN rank #1? Because they are the gateway to hotmail. 76% of their traffic was to access hotmail accounts.

You can't pay for this ranking, at least not in a direct manner. You can't pay Alexa to rank you higher...What you CAN do is pay for your site to come up first, or in the top 5, on the various search engines. This in turn will generate more traffic, and thus cause your ranking to go up.

The data isn't a totally dependable ranking...Since it is data gathered from only those using the alexa toolbar...Which is why my own website, which is published nearly nowhere, has a higher ranking than the DeckGuide, which surely gets many hits every day.

As I mentioned on another board, to someone who was questioning why a particular site had a higher ranking than another, when in his opinion the lower ranked site was much busier. This is because the rankings are generated by hits, not by messages posted. One board could average 500 hits/day, but only have 5 new messages per day posted....while another could only have 100 hits per day but have 50 new messages...The board that SEEMS busier because of the number of messages would rank lower because of the lower number of hits.

Why did Delco's old BBS rank so high? Because that link is to Delco's site (or at least one of them), not just their BBS... It is actually the same link I have bookmarked to Delco, though I've never used their message board. I'm sure that site gets much more traffic that is going to the online ordering or the other informational parts of the website without going to the message boards.

John: Even though I don't think it is the case with Alexa, I don't see anything wrong with paying for ranking...Companies do it all the time. You want your site to come up on the first page of a google search for "pressure washing" you better be willing to pay for it.

So, on a different thought, if you have the Alexa toolbar downloaded on your computer, they are tracking what sites you visit? right? Do you want to be tracked?...

Do I care? I'm not going anywhere I would worry about anyone seeing. It is certainly voluntary...don't want to be tracked, remove the bar or don't install it at all! Besides, we're being tracked online so much already...At least Alexa tells us about it.

Thanks Ron! :)

It's good to see you online again. We have all missed you here. Would LOVE it if you would come up for air long enough to spend some time here with us. Would also love it if you would host a chat on your area of expertise. ;)

Our best to you and your family,

Beth & Rod

p.s. going to Dallas????

Today Alexa has The Grime Scene ranked at: 269,848!!!! This is a HUGE leap up in ranking!!!! :groovy3: :groovy2: :groovy: Woohoo!

John, you should re-list the rankings again. Check them out on Alexa. Pretty good!!!!

Thats kinda telling everyone whos sites on top at the moment..

I hope no one takes this the wrong way. you have truly worked hard to rein on top.

I realize that its not a competion thing with you but hey you should have your hard work noticed.

When *** was #1 I wish more would have noticed.

So enjoy it while it last. we know someone somewhere will try to out do ya... welcome to america...

LOL :D

This is interesting info at 400am….. each BBS tell how many members are on and anyone can see this.

There are currently 2 members and 1 guests on the boards. | Most users ever online was 49 on 07-18-2003 at 02:34 PM. PWna bbs 400am

There are currently 2 members and 4 guests on the boards. | Most users ever online was 55 on 09-06-2003 at 06:35 PM. *** bbs 400am

There are currently 2 members and 1 guests on the boards. | Most users ever online was 36 on Sep 8th, 03 at 02:42 PM Grimscene bbs 400am

PWN had 6 users at 400am

There are simultaneous users and total users....they are two different numbers. The one you listed was simultaneous users. The daily numbers are higher. ;) And you're right, we have worked very hard on this site to make it what it is today. We wanted to bring as much to the user as we could, and we're still working hard to do that.

:coffee:

Beth

p.s. and Ron, everyone noticed when *** was number one. :) At least I noticed....

So do I. The main reason why I put up this thread in the first place is because of the amazing fall from grace with *** and its mainly to do with the server problem over there.

I didn't want that bb to fall off the face of the earth because of its innovative approach to bb land where Money has no effect over there.