Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Dreg's List

Question

37 answers to this question

Do guys actually experiance people who as you say have a bad "image" of the PW industry?

I feel like the majority of the jobs ive done are for people who honestly don't know what the service is supposed to cost. Even those who got their deck done for 100 bucks, something obviously went wrong otherwise they wouldn't be calling me. Plus, someone who actually sees those pics and calls that person expecting a quality job, will never pay what the job is worth, regardless of how strong the industries "image" is

When you are in this buisness you want to worry about your own image and not everybody else's image.When you are well established and have created your own quality image there should be nothing else to worry about! :cool:

You have to back up your sales pitch to justify your price and quality of work.

Ken so rightly said:

I calculate his flatwork production rate at about 150 sf/hr.

I don't know but its probably better than me. I tried to clean a foul home sidewalk last year with a turbo tip as a throw in "thank you" on a wood job. Friggin' concrete particles or what not nearly took the skin off my shins. Think I'll stick with wood, it doesn't hurt.

Yea I am still really new to this so I may be wrong in my analyses. I just feel like my goal in this business is to be knowledgeable and professional and provide an unmatched quality of work and customer service for my clients. And I agree with all your guys being really good contractors for their business and customers. I guess im either confused or just don't buy into this whole concept of making an image for the industry.

For instance, everyone seems to be annoyed by this guy doing pressure washing. I think its more of a humor thing, since people like that are always going to be out there. If it makes people look poorly on the industry, it proves importance on the non service side of the business Website, logos, uniform, insurance, proper chems, etc etc. If everyone knew what good wood restoration costs and was willing to pay for it, your going to have the same problems with tons more competition, since all they need to learn how to do is clean and stain some wood.

For instance, your work is amazing, I love your quality, and your website, and how you run your business. The person that responded to the ad in Craigslist, I would bet isn't your type of customer. Even if they saw your work and ads, the mindset that leads them to respond to the guys craigslist ad, is what would keep them from paying you what you deserve.

Does that make sense?

When you are in this buisness you want to worry about your own image and not everybody else's image.When you are well established and have created your own quality image there should be nothing else to worry about! :cool:

You have to back up your sales pitch to justify your price and quality of work.

Thats the way Ive been trying to look at. My work is a reflection on my business and my character, not a reflection on an industry full of people doing the same type of work as me

Thats the way Ive been trying to look at. My work is a reflection on my business and my character, not a reflection on an industry full of people doing the same type of work as me

That's exactly how i also think about our comapny but also you want to build your image to set yourself apart from your competitors.

"What makes your company better than the next?" I get that every now and then!

Charlie,

I assume your previous post is a response to mine so here goes. You said:

Does that make sense?

Yes and No. Depends on perspective. For you being new, I think your mindset and approach is impeccable. After a while, you want to contribute to the betterment of the business. Think about NASCAR for a moment. When I was a kid, car racing was for mechanics. Aside from Indy, car racing was for car mechanics. As that sport slowly gained popularity, good management and PR took it to another level. After that, the marketing pros took over and made it into a national phenomenon.

PW will never be NASCAR. My point is that by being in this business, you are by default part on this small time fledgling industry.

You say:

My work is a reflection on my business and my character, not a reflection on an industry full of people doing the same type of work as me

Wrong, and you may see this in time. Being a contractor involved in this business is by default being part of the PW industry.

I think Chaz's outlook will be ulimately successful for both himself and the industry. By adhering and committing to a level of excelence with his own business he will positively contribute to the uindustry as whole.

Its true there is nothing we can do about guys like this one from Craigs List. In reality we need them to establish scale. If everyone performed the same level of work and outputted the same quality we would then truly have to sell on price and image. So you Dreg's Listers, painters (not you Dan) and landscapers with 4000 psi machines, perform your vandalism. Wear your flip flops. You make my life both difficult and easy but I love ya for it.

Charlie,

I assume your previous post is a response to mine so here goes. You said:

Yes and No. Depends on perspective. For you being new, I think your mindset and approach is impeccable. After a while, you want to contribute to the betterment of the business. Think about NASCAR for a moment. When I was a kid, car racing was for mechanics. Aside from Indy, car racing was for car mechanics. As that sport slowly gained popularity, good management and PR took it to another level. After that, the marketing pros took over and made it into a national phenomenon.

PW will never be NASCAR. My point is that by being in this business, you are by default part on this small time fledgling industry.

You say:

Wrong, and you may see this in time. Being a contractor involved in this business is by default being part of the PW industry.

Appreciate the response. I don't mind being a part of an industry, I just consider my business to be controlled by my choices made for the betterment of service for my customers and profitability in my market. We all know PWing and Wood resto differs all through the country so I dont see how this could become some huge national business. I know you do good work for your customers, but do you feel like that contributes to the industry?

**Edit, although I do do a lot of reading on how all you guys work things in attempt to see what might be best for me. I think its indirectly that we contribute to the industry by helping others succeed and operate professionally

Chaz quote :We all know PWing and Wood resto differs all through the country so I dont see how this could become some huge national business. I know you do good work for your customers, but do you feel like that contributes to the industry?

But it is a huge national business with schools, and seminars and all kinds of industry events and education. It's a world wide industry that we are all contributing to in one way or another. Bad or good.

Dental and medical, auto ind., mfg. construction, all also vary across the country, but that does not mean that they are not part of an industry with an "EXPECTED" reputation and skill to uphold. God bless the peace keepers for sure, but one crooked cop leaves a very bad impression for the next cop that comes around. Eggs may be cheap in the country, but does it make them any less of an egg. If you buy a dozen rotten eggs in the country or the city, it still smells awful and has no nutritional value whatsoever. Makes you never want to buy eggs from that source again and leaves a a bad lasting impression.

I Love my Egg Jet

Charlie,

You asked:

I know you do good work for your customers, but do you feel like that contributes to the industry?

Yes I do. Now. No I didn't when I first started out. Back then the thought and question would have never entered my mind. Just asking the questions and being part of this discussion shows you are light years ahead of where I was 6 yrs. ago when I first started in this business.

I do not consider wood restoration to be a true part of PW and do not belong to the PWNA. A second cousin at best. But with Everett Abrams as president, I'm open to second thoughts.

I grew up in a family that owned an old, well established trucking business. Good relations with local banks kept us alive. In other words, cash flow and money problems were constant. But my grandfather and later my father spend time, money, and personal effort to serve on the BOD of Allied Van Lines, a national orginization of household goods carriers that my grandfather was one of the eight original founders. My dad was very active in the Rotary, some national transportation defense board, and for a time with the ATA, the American Trucking Association. Both actively supported the local YMCA.

Point is, as an owner of a business, you are the business. And there are further goals in time you may want to help accomplish, beyond your immediate bottom line. Cynics may cry, "but you're just feathering your own pockets!". May be true in a few cases but not many. Some organizations may be self serving in some aspects, but in fact still serve the betterment of the public and members.

There is inherent strenght in like minded, proactive, good organizations for niche industries. I hope to see the day when that can be accomplished for the PW industry, or more close to home, the wood restoration business.

I'm gonna play Devil's advocate on this one and say maybe somebody should cut the poor guy a break. He's a perfect candidate for some serious PW education. We all started somewhere. Who knows, perhaps he's a future PWNA Spotlight award winner! (ok...maybe not).

Mark