Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Ready Seal and the BDA - perfect together

Question

Shane, a founding member of the BDA (Bleach Dwellers Association) has been of immense benefit as a tried and true Texas bleach proponent. I had my doubts, but the results are great. After seeing so many of his photos over the years, I'm a convert. Being that we both use parafinnic oil stains it is a natural fit.

18 yr. old PT deck stained with Ready Seal medium red on 6/23/04. This past Monday, cleaned the wood with 2% bleach and a touch of Dawn. Power washed off with low pressure.

Two benefits with the maintenance. First, the cost of the cleaner to customers is very inexpensive. Easy to mix, and very effective on mildew / mold. Second is that the bleach mix is very gentle on the remaining stain pigment and oil, unlike percarbonate cleaners that are more aggressive. Took some moisture meter readings a day later after a below freezing night and mid 40's high temp. for the day. Wood was at or less than 12%, except for the old cracked areas. To dry out that quickly in those temperatures, there is still a decent amount of oil in the wood, even after nearly 3 years.

Will maintenace stain when it warms up a bit and stops raining here!

deckfloorcleaned.jpg

fulldeckcleaned.jpg

9 answers to this question

Shane,

Lucky dog. It is currently 43F. here and has rained about an inch this morning.

Even if you have to use a brush because of the wind, you can still work. April in NJ can be difficult at times.

Kevn,

The stain is 3 years old and needs replenishing. It is Ready Seal medium red and once I maintenance stain it, will be much darker.

This deck gets a ton of sun all day long, though there is a small maple nearby. I know as this townhouse is 3 doors down from my home and we both face the same, identical direction.

I BDA'd a Gazebo cedar roof in 30 minutes yesterday. It was a year old and ready for oil. Met the guy in a gas station a year ago. Wash house, composite deck, mahog porch, gazebo and gazebo cedar roof. 17 gallons of bleach. 4 hours. No plant life left in area !!!! LOL

Kevin,

Yeah, the Ready Seal website could use an overhaul. Has not been changed in years. But on the other hand, either has the stain. Think the formulation is at least 10 yrs. old, maybe more. Even with the recent VOC regs here in the NE and Ca., I think RS did not have to change a thing. Has a long track record and is just a joy to work with. Have tried quite a few over the years, and it is by far the best, easiest, and most customer satisfying stain I know of.

To give you an idea of some of the colors, attached is a pic I took the other day of samples on 8 yr. old knotty western red cedar that was stripped then brightened with citric acid. From left to right, light brown, natural cedar, medium brown, and medium red.

RScedarsamples-web.jpg