Sign in to follow this  
JJ1980

Increase that professional industry edge

Pressure washing........are we really professional contractors?

Well I certainly think so and I am sure that everyone who reads this will agree with me, whether it is practiced full-time are just to generate residual income.

But if we all believe this.... lets truly practice it.

Disclaimer: This is only my opinion and should be taken in context; I readily stand to be corrected and do not intend to offend anyone. This site is great and without it probably wouldn’t have ventured into the type business, which I am happy I did. Besides that I am only 26 years old and probably have a lot to learn, I am new to the business and am still a newbie on the site trying to increase my post numbers :) . Anywhoooo.........................

:rant: There are numerous threads sharing notes on equipment, Chems, process etc..., excellent! But threads on administrative, legal, business model, finances, management etc... are limited. Notwithstanding that legalities vary from jurisdiction - could we put some more focus on "professionalizing" our businesses and industry?

Why this topic?

I needed help recently but couldn’t find exactly what I needed. So instead of just coming on here and begging, thought I would post my thoughts, then beg! :lgangel:

I read a post long time ago on another site where a guy commented on observing a guy whose setup was a 5hp 1.5GPM HD PW in the trunk of a Nissan Sunny, who charges the same as him. He commented that he had better equipment on a custom built rig, and hated little fly by night operations like the Nissan Sunny guy.

Here is food for thought, is he any better than the fly by night guy if he has a comprehensive rig setup but a business that is inefficient in its operations and management? - The clichéd all braun no brains jock!

Could the Nissan sunny guy get the job over me and my "big rig"- if he prepared a detailed proposal, outlining works to be performed, additional recommendations & freebees, basic details of chems used and precautions if any, OSHA or similar compliance, customer protection details, estimate timeframe (including factors that may increase that time) and his understanding of the customers expectations... ... remember its not always size that matters-MAKES SENSE! (Yes I know this is not always practical, but things like these should be more the rule and not the exception.)

There are several accomplished contractors around who have mastered running their business professionally. But not all of us are so inclined without a little help. LETS SHARE and post more Administrative and Operational docs and not just email them to specific persons. Anything you have- experiences, info, drafts, sample templates, links sites, to address etc... Well unless Beth and Rod say we can’t:)

Being in a competitive environment I for one am keen on leaving that lasting impression. I will use my own advice and post what I have in this area from this point on. With hopes that everyone else will as well, which will in turn remove the thought of "are they really professionals" from our minds.:yoda:

Now for the begging :) - any help on compiling a comprehensive proposal?

JJ

Some of administrative and operational docs are things that need to be safe guarded. These documents are what have been created by education and experience and are the back bone of a company's strength. Some of this comes with years of experience and growth, and can not be taught.

This business and many other types of business takes years to become profitable and it will not happen over night. In the pressure washing profession the first five years will be a learning curve and this is why so many pressure washing guys give up.

How far would you get if you were in the soda pop industry and called Pepsi and asked them the same question. Or asked what is in the formula in Pepsi?

We are all here to help as much as possible and to guide the new guy. If a cut and paste type information is what you are wanting it can set yourself up for disaster. There is no get rich business that will happen asap. If there is you may be getting chased by the law or people looking to hunt you down for bad business ethics.

Send me a e-mail and I will help you with my proposal forms, but there is a World of difference between my services in Illinois vs. Cayman Islands. You have sandy beaches and Palm trees we have corn and snow!

I agree with Tony. Certain things take years of work, and are a part of the value of your company.

JJ I am not sure what you read where, but our first year we had a Nissan Sentra, and a small cold unit like what you described in it. Today our machines are Hydroteks and let's just say the Nissan is loooong gone. It served it's purpose.

Be professional and do the work right, reinvest in your company and think carefully about decisions that impact the whole company and how it functions.

Beth :groovy3:

There is a bit of proprietary information involved in most business models that make them unique or give them an edge, but I think we may be able to accommodate others in the standardized portions like software, education (plenty of that already on the web so no secrets there) and some forms.

We use a generic but customized 3 part carbon form for our proposals due to the diverse nature of our business services. Even though we do mostly wood, you'd be surprised how many different options are possible from one customer to the next. We have a set of terms and conditions which reflects much of what you can find on Delco Cleaning Systems of Fort Worth, Pressure Power Washers plus some additional verbage to reflect locally recognized and acceptable disclaimers, rights and responsibilities.

For Bookkeeping, we use Quickbooks Pro which has many features available to customize templates and create forms, estimates, invoicing, payroll, scheduling, and more.

Microsoft Publisher to help design our fancy schmancy literature and promotional items.

We, like so many other companies have developed and implemented a significant employee handbook and service manual to help train and educate our employees. (Send me your head in a return postage pre-paid box first and then once I have shown it to you I'll ship your head back [disclaimer: head may not work properly upon re-installation])

We have call logs, previous customer estimating sheets, schedule books, work orders, equipment check out/in sheets, job completion forms, employee time off request sheets, and a host of osha related training material.

How's that for a start?

Rod!~

Thanks a lot for your positive replies.

Tony, I see you points clearly, and yes I know I have a lot to learn. I agree that to copy and paste is crazy, simply because I would not have the foundation to understand what I am doing are why I am doing it. But a readily available start point would certainly help - Maybe as I mature in the business I will change my mind. You can shoot me an email at ERU@candw.ky or ErinRonell@yahoo.com.

Hi Beth, & thanks. Don't know if it was you the guy I mentioned was referring to. But if it was obviously those good practices I mentioned are paying off! :)

Rod, thanks- for the input. Well I will certainly continue to learn from you guys, and milk you of all the knowledge I can get- no such thing as a stupid question right?

Thought! - How about a Grime Scene member retreat in Grand Cayman sometime in the future. :golf:

This is the difference between a start up company and buying a franchise.

I have passed on a ton of information that has been taught to me and that I have learned in almost 18 years of owning start up companies, retail businesses and franchises. There is also just as much information that I have held back that would take many companies to the next level. That detailed info isn't now and won't ever be free.

Thought! - How about a Grime Scene member retreat in Grand Cayman sometime in the future. :golf:

Been there b4 and had a great time but felt the pain of Ivan with much sympathy.

Sounds like a great idea, let's see what others have to say.

Rod!~

Been there b4 and had a great time but felt the pain of Ivan with much sympathy.

Sounds like a great idea, let's see what others have to say.

Rod!~

We have recovered fairly well and construction is on the boom!

There are still some homes that have not been repaired and a considerable amount of people now living in trailers, but if you visit again you would never tell that we were devestated like we were.