Sign in to follow this  
Cannon

Surface Cleaner on decks?

Question

8 answers to this question

Cannon,

I ran a test last week with a Whisper surface cleaner (with a skirt - no wheels) at 950 psi. I worked fine. The wood was PT pine and is about 10 years old.

I am going to run my second test next week. I am going to test the techniques I am developing over the next 6 months and if all goes well, I will publish a paper on the topic.

The key is to start moving the surface cleaner and then engage the trigger for pressure. KEEP the surface cleaner moving. Use a gauge to make sure you know exactly how much pressure you are applying.

Experiment on your own deck before you do any commercial or residential work.

Hope this helps.

I use my surface cleaner on decks, set my pressure at between 1000 and 2000 psi, that way when it gets to the tips (2) at the cleaners I'm running between 500 and 1000 psi at each tip. works like a charm and dosen't leave any marks on the wood at all.

Howard

It depends on the type of wood too... on hard woods it's different than it is on soft woods. Personally, we have used a surface cleaner on certain decks, but there are very many we would not use one on. It depends on the deck, the condition and age of the wood, and the kind of wood it is. That's been our experience. Otherwise you do run the risk of damage if you don't know what will work and what won't.

Beth :groovy:

The only time we us ours on decks is when there a large area to cover, I wouldn’t waste my time on smaller decks like 10x10. We cleaned a 5,600 sq ft deck (camping resort) about 5 years ago and I used the wand on the whole thing. It took me three days. We cleaned that same deck 2 years ago and this time we used the whisper on it and it only took a day. It does take practice but you will eventually master the technique .