Sign in to follow this  
yazbird8

Downstreaming Photos

Question

I am thinking of making the switch to Downstreaming. I use the X-Jet now but have been swayed by many on this board to seriously consider giving downstreaming an honest try...Barry M said that downstreaming can be done using a 5 gallon jug and that a huge tank is not neccasary...He tells me that Jarrod uses it for stripping decks, besides using it for house washing...My question is..Can you guys show me what downstreaming looks like with some photos "in action"....And maybe some photos of what a basic downstreaming system looks like....I am the type that learns better from photos and hands on stuff, as opposed to words....Afterall, a pictue is worth a thousand words..right !!!....Thanks guys

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

34 answers to this question

This is the injector that I have.

This latest addition to GP's chemical injector line is a new "Hi-Draw" model, capable of a 20%* draw rate. These injectors feature an operating pressure of 4,500 PSI and a temperature rating of 1900. Sized at 3/8 inch M X M, NPT, stainless steel orif

You buy this, put a 3/8" QC on one end and a 3/8" plug on the other. It has an arrow on it indicating the direction of flow. It then plugs into the outlet side of your pump (where you normally plug in your pressure hose) and now your pressure hose plugs into the injector. The injector comes with a 1/4" chem hose that plugs into the barb on the bottom of the injector. You simply plop the other end of the chem hose into your mix could be a 15 gallon drum, a 5 gallon bucket, or a 1 gallon jug doesn't matter. Those that use a large tank for chems simply plumb the chem hose to the tank. Now when the pressure is dropped at your gun tip via the proper nozzle, chems will be drawn into the line and out the end of your gun.

Sorry I don't have pics right now but I hope you can understand the concept. I know how it is to not understand something but believe me, it's really pretty simple once you understand.

Whats the ladder for? No ladders here, feet on the ground all the time.

You love that 0040 tip huh mike.

We cleaned out the gutters too and there was a window left open. Those folks were in Mississippi at the time.

Yes, I love my 0040.

how do you get it to inject soap at that pressure we have to turn are down and your soap nozzle right

That stream is only 40-50 psi. There is no pressure so the soap pulls perfectly. It is the tip we use.... 0040 tips will allow you to pull chem and still shoot far. Flow is what helps aid in the distance that you can shoot, not the pressure.

How are you determining the stream to be 40-50 PSI? How many GPM are you using? To achieve 50 PSI with a 0040 nozzle you're only using ~0.45 GPM. Either I'm making a gross miscalculation, or you're using an incredibly small amount of water when you're downstreaming. Please help me figure out my error.

My figures come from:

GPM = NOZ# * sqrt(PSI/4000)

GPM = 4.0 * sqrt(50/4000)

GPM = 4.0 * sqrt(.0125)

GPM = 4.0 * .1118

GPM = .4472

That stream is only 40-50 psi. There is no pressure so the soap pulls perfectly. It is the tip we use.... 0040 tips will allow you to pull chem and still shoot far. Flow is what helps aid in the distance that you can shoot, not the pressure.

OK. I think I got it.

The format is actually [##]{###}, where I had assumed [##]{##}.

So, say my machine is 4.0 GPM, I use a [00]{040} nozzle, but if I wanted

50 PSI, I would use [00]{400} nozzle. So, 0040, is just the short form for 00400. So a 3.5 GPM machine spraying at 4,000 PSI would use a 00035 nozzle, but a 3.5 GPM machine spraying at ~50 PSI would use 00350, or, shortened to 0035.

Now the math makes sense, assuming the FCPWLLC was using a machine that uses ~4.5 GPM

9.0 to downstream? That's too much pressure. Maybe you use a 00900. A 9.0 would be 00090 (according to my figures in my previous post). Correct me if I'm wrong.

the first 00 means degree pattern

the 40 is 40 orifice - And that is related to the pump

we use 8.5 gpm machines here.

our tips are 9.0

Ok newbie here. All these numbers have me confused. I have a 5.5 gpm 3500psi machine. Can someone give me a good starting point for tips to draw chem and to rinse and the approx hight I should be able to reach from the ground using a standard wand. Thanks

Ok newbie here. All these numbers have me confused. I have a 5.5 gpm 3500psi machine. Can someone give me a good starting point for tips to draw chem and to rinse and the approx hight I should be able to reach from the ground using a standard wand. Thanks

Hi Nate, I run a 5.5gpm 3500psi machine.

I use a 0030 for applying chem, and usually rinsing as well, for areas 25' - 40'.

I use a 0540 for applying to areas 15'-25'

I use a 1540 for all areas 15' to ground level.

hope this helps.

Machine size and downstreamer will dictate when it will start to draw. Ya got to test to see when. Use chart to decide on a few tips. Maybe it draw at 800, could be way higher or lower..don't know. I think you understand this but the reason ya want to know is so ya can slip in an 00-??.? for to rinse without chems and having to go back to machine to turn off downstreamer. Higher ya go though the sooner the stream of water will atomize into thin air.

Don't want to hurt anything your spraying so the higher ya go in pressure you have to fan it out..maybe try something like a 1514.0 or 1510.0 to get a little aggression and atomization midway out.

I found this video on YouTube...it's a guy downstreaming a kitchen exhaust fan, he does a very good job :D (Oh wait, that's me)

[yt]iyTd_lFw2k8[/yt]

I found this video on YouTube...it's a guy downstreaming a kitchen exhaust fan, he does a very good job :D (Oh wait, that's me)

[yt]iyTd_lFw2k8[/yt]

End of video you say "Any Questions?"

I got one for ya.... You regularly use pressure washer?.. Thought ya was just a fear the foamage and easy rinse man!!

Nope, I'm a "Get-r-Done" man....different jobs call for different tools. This specific job would have been longer with foam. I'm almost exclusively "low-pressure" though. I rarely pull that Hi/Lo tip for high pressure, but it's there if I need or want it.