Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Almost made me cry.....

Question

This is part of a bid for a very nice house. Who did this job on the fence, I'm not sure of yet. I've asked the customer and she can't remember. But she did say it was done a 'few' months ago and she has had them back to fix some issues. The pictures speak for themselves. I spent some time talking to her about preparation work and what a difference it makes to the final result and also that the product I use is totally different to what the previous contractors used. I had to contain my thoughts about what I was looking at, didn't want to talk negatively about the other people. I will post 'after' pictures if I get the job.

Fence is approx 420 Lin. Ft.

post-1269-137772177809_thumb.jpg

post-1269-137772177818_thumb.jpg

post-1269-137772177826_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Shot in the dark here... I'm gonna say bleach, high pressure wash, and either a crappy water borne sealer or an oil applied to wet wood.

I don't know how old that fence is but whomever did the job took about half the life expectancy from it.

Ok, here's my guess.

Pressure only and a clear sealer.

Looking at the moss on the tree trunk I'd say that we were looking south and explains why the sealer is still much more intact on the northern facing sides and then the right side is facing east which gets morning and early mid-day sun contributing to photo degradation making it easier to wash with pressure only.

Grass looks to be in great shape so I'd have to determine that for a novice to use chemicals there would have been more evidence of it if any were used besides the sealer.

Rod!~

OK, here's my guess. The last "person" to "clean" this fence used no chems, lots of pressure and no sealer at all. In fact, it looks like he was trying to strip a pre-existing brown stain.

Keeping before and after pictures of that job will go a long way in future sells - make sure you take some good ones. I know how irritating it can be to see work done wrong - it makes it so tough to get the account and do it right once people have been burned like that.

Also, I never knew Texas had grass. I guess I need to travel more.