Sign in to follow this  
scpressure

I only offer flood products

Question

I'm not a "woody" yet, but the potential here (coastal south carolina) is great. I would like to know your experience with flood products and others.

I am confident with their warranty and support. I start my bid at $2 a sq.,my pitch is that most companies use Olympic or Thompson's and seal over existing sealant, where I strip to lumberyard new wood for proper penetration of wood preservatives.

I don't really want to offer a three tier choice "the best", "good", and "Thompson's". With the labor involved I only want to offer the best.

If you guys can help me continue to give only the best service, I would really appreciate it.

'

24 answers to this question

I don't think you will find too many professionals that use consumer grade products. Flood's CWF is one of the worst products we encounter in the field. Olympic Maximum would be a better choice if you are going to buy local.

Count me out on Flood anything.

I do hope they sell the hell out of it to Joe Homeowner however. I probably strip more of that than everything else combined. It's a real moneymaker for me about two years after its put down. I'd almost be willing to pay for their commercials, so I can get more work removing it after it has failed!

I think that some of the knowledge out there about Flood products is very dated. Flood was recently bought by Sikens and that is a quality brand. Flood is on the rise as far as sealer technology and quality. Yes, Flood CWF was and is a product that is extremely hard to strip and deal with. However, Flood CWF-UV5 is a good product and is not difficult to strip. I offer FloodPro products as well as RS and sometimes WTW. If someone wants a solid or a semi-transparent, I will use Flood. I'm not criticizing anyone about their opinions, I just feel that some new things are going on and some feelings and knowledge needs to be updated.

The wheels of a huge corporation turn slowly. The Axo Nobel (sp) deal is very recent. I find it hard to believe a horse can change its color overnight. I don't doubt that there is a difference betwen the Floor regular and Pro lines but I am not gonna guess what it is. They are good marketers though. Perhaps their last posse that galloped through here touting Restora, can jump in.

LOL John. I stil have visions of you at ACR letting them know what you thought of CWF.

LOL John. I stil have visions of you at ACR letting them know what you thought of CWF.

Yeah, I'm sure their rep does too! (I didn't mean to offend, but I'm sure I was only stating a consensus opinion.)

Might not be wise to burn any bridges with Flood. If the environmental extremists and VOC police get their way, we may all be forced to used water based exterior wood stains sometime in the not too distant future.

And I guess Flood makes some of the better water based stains.

Hey Ken,

May the devil singe your tongue for spewing such blasphemy.

Hah! I'd have to think long and hard to stomach staying in this business if oil based stains were banned. But I'm afraid we may see it sometime in the future, especially here in the Northeast.

VOC laws are such horsecrap! The end goal is trying to remove ground level smog - which is created with the combination of VOC's and nitrous oxides. VOC's are emitted in far larger quantities, in the forms of isoprenes and terpenes, from trees then you could ever imagine from oil based coatings. That being said - if you remove all VOC products from the market - you are still going to have all these naturally emitted VOC's from trees to combine with the nitrous oxides from auto emissions. In other words - until you remove the nitrous oxides being emitted from the tailpipe - you aint' gonna break the chain of ground level smog being formed. Look at counties in CA - where they have totally removed these products - their ground level smog hasn't changed one iota! And it never will - because the EPA is a$$-backwards with trying to remove spirits - it ain't gonna solve the problem - terpenes from pine trees will always be there waiting to combine with auto emissions to form the same amount of pollution - the only limiting factor in this creation of ground level smog is the limit you impose on nitrous oxide emissions - anything else, and all you really have are a bunch of guys padding their resumes with how the enforced cleaner air standards - which amounts to nothing - and we're left with some pretty crappy products.

Flood Spa N Deck is very popular down here. I have used it 2 or 3 times. I tends to crack and peal. is almost impossible to strip and you cant blend the pealed area well.

I did a sample board with the new FloodPro supreme water based. It looked kind of funny but stripped easily.

Jon,

I did a sample board with the new FloodPro supreme water based. It looked kind of funny but stripped easily.

This could be good news. Care to describe "looked kind of funny"? Did you use sodium hydroxide (NaOH) to strip and in what concentration? What type of wood and how long was the stain on the wood before stripping? Thanks.

Might not be wise to burn any bridges with Flood. If the environmental extremists and VOC police get their way, we may all be forced to used water based exterior wood stains sometime in the not too distant future.

And I guess Flood makes some of the better water based stains.

Irony has it that I heard on radio just the other night something about a new EPA push for an attempt to get new voc limitations in respect to stains into effect by 2009.

Sorry no link or info beyond that though.

Daniel,

The end goal is trying to remove ground level smog - which is created with the combination of VOC's and nitrous oxides.

Hah! Dead right on. I wrote my senior paper at the University of Denver 32 years ago calibrating N2O levels verses friggin' sunlight levels! Geeze, everyone with basic chemistry and climatology knew the relationship back then.

Now its the carbon tradeoff. Just plant more trees!

You think its bad now, just wait. These extreme environmentalist idiots have got the press and congress by the nose hairs.

Jon,

This could be good news. Care to describe "looked kind of funny"? Did you use sodium hydroxide (NaOH) to strip and in what concentration? What type of wood and how long was the stain on the wood before stripping? Thanks.

We stripped FloodPro Supreme performance at less than 30 days with very little resistance using their stripper/cleaner (sodium hydroxide based). The larger problem was neutralizing & rinsing their product. Stuff did not want to neutralize.

Application with FPSP is much more involved (on hardwoods) than other stains - way too much touching of the wood - plan to charge double for application as this is not a wet on wet as we know it. Must have 30 mins - 1 hour between coats (PITA). They swear 2 years + on hardwoods though. We'll know for certain in November of '09 unless it's poopy next fall when we go back to clean.

We've applied FPSP on Ipe (not our choice). It was a little more opaque than we like on this wood but the project still looked quite beautiful when finished. We did test boards with Purple Heart and the wood looked like it had muddy water on it - not pretty at all.

Celeste

Long story but the nutshell version, contractor started staining the decks - didn't apply right - got fired. Turns out the stain was custom tinted (purple) to the point that virtually all of the grain was hidden. We were called in :) Our tests of the "un custom tinted" product looked like muddy water.

Celeste

Jon,

Now that its been srtipped off, its hard to remember exactly. I was stripping all my sample boards at the time, SpaNDeck, Floodpro, and Woodtux. just to see how they stripped. I used HD 80 and it cut right through the FloodPro Supreme. with no scrubbing and just garden hose. It had been on a piece of PT pine, well aged before applying the stain, and had been sitting out in the sun for about 6 months.

Ill do another board soon and post a pic of it.

Our reps discourage the FPSP on older PT wood - explanation was that the product contains the penetrol and older wood would make the coverage rate horrible (ie 50 sq ft/gallon) Coverage is better on hardwoods (for the obvious reason of lack of penetration) Bottom line, it is easy to strip :)

One other issue - it takes a considerable amount of time to cure so there is a possibility of removal on hardwoods until it actually cures completely.

Celeste